Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Over the Range Microwave that you like

16 years ago

Does anyone have an over the range microwave vented hood that they like? Everyone says theirs doesn't move enough air or too loud, surely there is a good one out there. I can vent it outside, has anyone vented their OTR Microwave outside?

Comments (7)

• 16 years ago

I love my whirlpool velos.

The vent is louder than I prefer, but pretty much any noise is louder than I prefer.

But I love love love my velos.

• 16 years ago

I have one that's vented to the outside. It didn't have to be, but it was easy since we already had the vent in place from the old kitchen. If I stand right in front of the OTR MW and the fridge is not running, I can hear the vent outside flapping around (or something).

I have a Maytag, and it has a 5 speed fan and a light with 2 settings. If I had it to do again, I'd look for a similar model with a brighter light (halogen?). The light is pretty wimpy in either setting. But that's the only problem with this MW. One of the things I *like* about it, is that the tray goes side to side instead of round-and-round.

DonnaR/CA

• 16 years ago

I have a Panasonic, and it's vented to the outside. Much quieter and works better than the normal hood van we had before. Has fan at High or Lo, and Turbo Fan. Not sure what that means, guess it's more powerful than Hi! LOL

• 16 years ago

We purchased the Jenn Air because it has 1100 watts & 2.0 cubic feet (DH loves his tall coffee mug!) it also has 5 speed exhaust & a halogen light & the square tray that moves back & forth. We will be venting it outside. Have not installed it as of yet since we are our own installers & have been passing the flu/cold bug around.

Will let you know how it works....oh, it reads that it has 300CFM, but when we turned it on un-mounted we could feel the air blowing out...seems pretty promising to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: JennAir OTR

• 16 years ago

Thought I would add to the things I like about my Velos. If you're interested, just search on Velos on the appliance forum. There's one thread with over 100 posts that has more than you ever wanted to know about it.

It functions as a convection oven as well as a microwave. You can bake a lasagne in it. The turntable is very big, so the lasagne pan goes on it and still turns all the way around.

You can grill steaks in it. And they turn out quite yummy!

When you use it as a microwave, and use 50% power, it actually uses 50% power. Most microwaves cycle on 100% power and no power to achieve a 50% average. The Velos actually changes the power and you get that level 100% of the time.

You can fry an egg on the sizzle pan.

It has hundreds of pre programmed options, and you don't have to memorize any secret codes. If you want to cook rice, you hit the buttons boil-rice-white rice and then it pops up a little chart that tells you how much rice and water to put in the rice cooker, and then you put it in the microwave and press start. You never have to look at it again until you're ready to eat. BTW, that's the same with steak. You press the buttons grill-beef-steak (or whatever they are) and it tells you to put in on the grilling rack and put it in and press start. Then it beeps at you when its time to turn it over. You turn it and press continue. Voila. Same technique for frying an egg.

But, its also the best microwave we've had in a very long time as far as reliable, even reheating.

• 16 years ago

I second that .........regarding the Panasonic Inverter.
    We also have the same as raehelen and it works great, isn't that noisy and can be vented outside or with the charcoal filter. Our house didn't have a hood vent so we just installed with the filters and has worked great for me, mind-you I don't fry a lot.
    No bad comments with this OTR MW. Has good (high)watts for quick cooking, under MW light with 2 settings, and 2 speed fan. Looking to buy the same again but in SS : )

• 16 years ago

Like Donna i have the Maytag and love the fact the tray
    goes back and forth instead of around. Found no difference in heating time and it getting heated even. Can also use a bigger dish because of the back and forth motion.