Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmmalone

Emma growled and snapped at me

15 years ago

I had just taken the puppies/dogs for a walk. We came home and it is very cold here so I decided to put them in their crate for a while. Scout ran in (as normal), Emma lay down on the rug and would not move. I went to move her and she growled and snapped at me. I tried again and the same thing happened. This was a really nasty growl and teeth were bared. I have never had this happen before - how do I handle it? I popped her one on the snout and shouted "bad dog". What should I do, or have done. I don't understand her behavior. She has also been rougher with Scout this past few days. I know they have yet to work out who is alpha, could this have anything to do with it?

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

Has she been to the vet recently. Before you decide that its a behavior issue maybe you should get her checked out. She could be in pain which would explain her change in behavior. How old is she? How long have you had her?

• 15 years ago

The question is are you the alpha dog? No time should your dog bare its' teeth at you. Snapping due to pain or illness is one thing, showing teeth is a clear sign of agression. Is the dog obedience trained? Whatever you do, DO NOT HIT THE DOG IN THE FACE. This will only make her fearful and more agressive.

• 15 years ago

You posted awhile back about one of your dogs having shaking episodes, was this the same dog?

I agree wholeheartedly with trini, if this is a new behavior, take her to the vet. Something has caused a change and you need to find out what it is.

• 15 years ago

thanks everyone. Yes the behavior is new. Emma is normally sweet and loving - but can be stubborn! She was tired when we can home, we had just been walking for about an hour and I had been working in the yard all afternoon, so Emma and Scout were in the yard playing for most of the afternoon. Both dogs are about 9 months old. Scout just does not stop, she runs, runs runs everywhere, all the time. Emma is more laid back and likes to nap in the sun. Scout will not leave her alone most of the time. They are still working out who is alpha. I have been working with them and they have basic commands - sit, stay, wait, drop. I can give them food and take it away without either of them reacting. I will take Emma to the vet as you suggest, as something is clearly not right

• 15 years ago

Emma is at the age where she is establishing herself in the pack. Dogs need to learn that all two legged human animals are the leaders including children. You can take the dog to the vet if you choose, but I don't think this pup is ill. This is merely a fight for power over you. If she wins, you have created a monster.

I love Cesar's methods for teaching how to lead a pack without pain or anger and it is simple -- no need for professional training if you do it before the dog becomes dangerous.

• 15 years ago

I want to reiterate what carmengrower is saying...you as the owner should be the alpha. If your dog is growling and baring her teeth at you, she is showing she is the alpha OF YOU! You need to establish yourself and the other members of the family as dominant over both of them.

I would highly recommend you read Cesar Milan's books or watch the show. It is incredibly educational and will show you the techniques and body language you should use to establish yourself as the pack leader.

• 15 years ago

thanks for all your responses. Have just got back from the vet - Emma has an ear infection! I think that is why she growled at me last night. She really is the sweetest dog normally. HOWEVER, I take to heart what you have all written, and believe me I am the alpha of the pack and intend to remain that way!

• 15 years ago

Happy to hear it was just an ear infection. I'm sure she'll be back to her loving self in no time. One thing about ear infections is you have to be very diligent with the medications.

• 15 years ago

I'm glad you found the root of her problem and it is nothing too serious.

• 15 years ago

I'm glad you found the root of her problem and it is nothing too serious.