Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnar1957

New light bulb requirements, 2012

16 years ago

My husband and I are a bit concerned about the requirement to get away from the standard incandescent light bulb fixtures, in 2012. Oh, it's not so much for your standard lamps that take standard 60 watt or 3 way bulbs....but for the fixtures that need different bulbs.

He's resisting the change, mostly for the non-standard bulbs, but also for the requirements in getting rid of the new CFL bulbs.

Is there anyone here that's in the industry, or really in the know, about what will be the availability of "weird bulbs"? I'm talking about bulbs that will go inside appliances, ceiling fan light fixtures, sewing machine light bulbs, etc. My husband wants us to go out and buy a ton of replacement bulbs for everything that takes non-standard bulbs. In my kitchen alone, I have appliances that need 40 watt appliance bulbs, 20 watt appliance bulbs, a halogen bulb, and some of those little 10 watt "night light" bulbs. In my living room, I've got a piano lamp. In all my searches, I've never seen any of these in the new style bulbs.

I hate to even think of what California's requirements will be just to get RID Of these CFL bulbs ....

DonnaR/CA

Comments (5)

• 16 years ago

Not all incandescent lights are being banned.

See here: Wikipedia on banning of incandescent lightbulbs

• 16 years ago

I just saw a report on the new bulbs having mercury in them. Very little, but now they are concerned about disposal. Am wondering if this means the current design will be changed. So, maybe waiting for another year or two and just changing a few while this problem is sorted out.

I'm not a worrier about this stuff. But interesting in the scheme of things.

The article linked also has good info on the type of bulbs used for different areas/lighting and strength of light needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: CFL Bulbs Have One Hitch

• 16 years ago

Thank you both for the articles; they were very informative. I can see that I shouldn't worry about the bulbs inside the refrigerator, oven, over the range, and probably not even my piano lamp.

One of those articles suggested going ahead and putting them in my ceiling fan light fixtures. No way, Jose. Clear 40 watt, intermediate base bulbs are part of the DESIGN of the light fixture - those twirly whirly ugly bulbs would mar their beauty. Besides, I haven't see those twirly whirly ugly bulbs in the intermediate base - though no doubt, they're probably available someplace.

DonnaR/CA

• 16 years ago

Although they're a bit bulkier, there are CFL bulbs that look like normal incandescent bulbs instead of the "twirly whirly". They're also available in floodlight shape, globes, torpedos, fancy candelabras, and with odd-sized bases. At this time CFLs are not recommended for fixtures that vibrate, like ceiling fans and garage door openers, or in enclosed recessed light fixtures. We had problems with CFLs in outdoor fixtures starting up properly and giving less light than they were supposed to when it was very cold.

I certainly hope by 2012 the bulbs cast a more attractive light though - I hate them. We Freecycled about a dozen of them when we moved in, everything but the basement and attic ones. The already-rather-ugly kitchen looked even worse under CFLs, and let's not talk about stumbling into the bathroom first thing in the morning and being presented with your reflection under that weird light. Yeeek.

In my town you are supposed to save CFL bulbs for the hazmat collection day. I don't think most people do though, too much hassle.

Check with your utility company - many of them offer free bulbs or rebates to offset much of the initial cost of the bulbs.

• 16 years ago

I saw the same report that emagineer saw on proper disposal of those bulbs. I won't be getting them anytime soon. Not until they come up with a better solution anyway.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations