Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kekoa_gw

fiberglass costs

17 years ago

Okay, another general question. Does a fiberglass pool cost as much to install as a gunite?. I guess if the cost is about the same, probably better to go with fiberglass due to the speed of installation and lower maintanance costs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (21)

• 17 years ago

We checked both out, price was pretty even here in PA. We went with the fiberglass, took about a week to finish install. As long as you find a shape and size you are happy with, Id go for it again.

• 17 years ago

jimcufsem ~ can you post a pic of your pool .. I would LOVE to see it :)

• 17 years ago

We had a fiberglass pool put in in 05, it's very easy to keep clean. I have a rockport, blue with silver sparkles (not sure what the name is) The pool looks big out of the ground, but in the ground the curves and seats make it smaller, not much width 15x30 also not deep enough for diving. Choose one wisely.

• 17 years ago

There are a few for ya Lorrie. I will get some new ones after the landscaping is done this month. Its a rockport, and as fool52 said, it looked HUGE out of the ground, but shrunk once it got in! The size is fine for use since we didnt want our whole yard taken up, plus I had the pool guy pour a shed foundation next to the pool. The shell sat in my front yard for a week upside down, and the neighbors guesses as to what it was ranged from a bomb shelter to a pre fab skateboard park!

• 17 years ago

Our install was a nightmare to say the least, we had a rectangular vinyl pool taken out, it had a deep end, dive and slide, the PG practially destroyed everything from our slide to our backside of our house and yard. He left us half finished and never came back, then went out of business after he ruined about 10 other people and took their money too. PICK YOUR INSTALLER WISELY!!!!!!

BTW our pool still leaks and is not installed level.

• 17 years ago

Thanks for all the responses. If you guys dont mind, I would like to know about how much money (turn key) the fiberglass pool came out to be. I am looking at doing my own excavation(my neighbor has an excavator(so that will help with the costs)I dont have the luxury of picking a installer as there is only one in my area. Their new to our area, so i will have to check them out first. Everyone seems to go with gunite here. Gunite pools average around $60,000(for low end basic pools, no spa) all the way up past $100, 000 +.

• 17 years ago

ttt

• 17 years ago

jimcufsem..What size and how deep is your pool? It looks nice!!
    Harry

• 17 years ago

I have the same pool as jimcufsem, it is a Viking Rockport, 5 - 5 1/2ft deep 15x30 total cost with concrete was about $30,000. That includes the dig, filter, and water. Does not include the repairs to our damaged house, yard or slide and we had to finish the work ourself.

• 17 years ago

Sorry to hear about the problems!! We were quoted $28,3 for a 16x33..5'6" water depth with 6'concrete around, timers and pumps/filter. Does not include cleaner or electric hook-up and BTW, does a fiberglass pool have to be elec grounded?
    Also, if we want a color..extra $600.00. Think I would like to go deeper, but 4K more for eight feet.

• 17 years ago

Thanks for the responses. Seems like great prices. Unfortunately in my area, everything (especially labor) is at a premium, so I am sure the quote will be much higher than $28,000 to $30,000. Anybody out on the west coast or Hawaii installed a fiberglass pool? If so, what was your total cost?

• 17 years ago

Kekoa,

I did my own fiberglass pool install including excavation. I had to rent the excavator, wish I had a neighbor who had one because that was $1,000.00! All in I probably have about 13K in the total job. I have a CPC Marco, 25 x 12 pool. The shell itself was $8,500.00 + delivery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Keith's Pool build

• 17 years ago

Keith..How deep is your pool and did you ground it? Harry
    PS.. Real nice work by-the-way!!

• 17 years ago

Harry,

The equipment is grounded but the pool itself is not. They did not call for grounding it in the installation directions. Perhaps fiberglass pools don't require grounding.

• 17 years ago

Harry that sounds like a good price. Just check with the pool manufacturer to see if the builder is an authorized one. My pool is grounded I think because we have a colorlogic light in it. I would think concrete and vinyl pools would need grounding due to the metal being used in their construction, rebar, metal walls, etc. I interviewed my installer and he gave me a list of his last 10 installs, and we went around and looked at them and spoke to the owmers and all were happy so we chose him. My electrical cost me an additional $1,000 and I had to pay a landscaper as well to finish it off, the PB just did a rough grade when he was done.

• 17 years ago

Harry, sorry I forgot to answer on the depth of mine. It's 3'6" to 5'5". And it's 23'8" in length not 25'.

• 17 years ago

Wow keith, I wish I could could tackle a home improvement project on that scale! That is a little bit too much for me. The fiberglass manufacturer(San Juan) related that they have a 25 year warranty, but only if the job is done by a licensed contractor. I will be doing the excavating as a relative has an excavator available. Meeting with the contractor tomorrow, hoping he gives me a fair price. If not, i guess I might do the owner build route with a gunite pool.

• 17 years ago

We put a fiberglass pool into our first house in 2000. Loved it!!! In fact, we are starting another house next month and are putting in another. Cost was a little more than liner pool but we never even considered anything else since we live in Central PA. One piece of advice though.... get the largest one that you can afford. We were originally going to purchase a 14x32 size and when they laid out the pattern on the lawn decided that the extra dollars were worth spending to get the 16x44 size. Remember that you will probably have people over sometime an you will want to be able to get in the pool without it getting overcrowded. Also, if you want any pool toys,they will fill up those small pools. We saved money on our pool by putting in our own paver surround and fencing. Also, this time around we are going to have our excavator dig the hole while he is out there and then our plumber will install the pump, etc.

• 17 years ago

Well folks. Just got the turn key quote at around 65,000 turn key for a large fiberglass pool. Was hoping for lower, but in my neck of the woods, thats par for the course! Waiting for a quote from a gunite builder. My first quote from a gunite builder was around $70,000. Owner/builder is sounding better every day!

• 16 years ago

kekoa; Just happened on to this site. I am a fiberglass swimming pools installer that has recently re-located to Kauai. I was curious about what you ended up building gunite or fiberglass? As an owner builder you should be able to save yourself at least $10,000 plus with a fiberglass pool.