Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamajanet

anyone have a Bernina 440 QE?

16 years ago

I'm in the process of getting this machine but wanted to check to see if anyone has this machine. Bernina is having a Super Bowl Sale Jan31 - Feb 4 no interest if paid off by Jan 2010. This model at my local quilt shop is marked 20% off, the BSR is included as well as one on one instruction with this machine. What do you think? All opinions welcome.

Janet

Comments (24)

• 16 years ago

Janet-I have a Bernina Virtuosa 153 QE, I like very much but if you can check out the Janome machine I have the Janome 6500MC also and I like it better than the Bernina.
    Gillian.

• 16 years ago

Janet , You need to buy it !! I have the same one, Bernina 440 QE
    with the BSR !!
    You will love it !! I never would quilt by machine till I got this one and boy does it make a big difference .
    You have lots of time to pay for it . I did not have that , I have 1 year to pay .

• 16 years ago

Well Betty you have my attention do you mean you quilt your quilts with the 440QE using the BSR!!!!,have seen that advertized the Janome has some kind of feed also Duel Feed I think its named, am waiting on the kids to take my Bernina in for service if the 440QE is good might just tell them to trade my 153QE in on one.

• 16 years ago

It's a wonderful machine and quilts beautifully with or without the BSR.
    Also, you can buy the felting / embellishing foot which is FAB!

• 16 years ago

This is getting interesting Islay what do you do with the felting/embellishing foot? my SIL was over this morning to visit and he,s ready to drag me over to Pensacola tomorrow or Saturday to check the machine out and trade the Bernina I have now in on the 440QE, my birthday is in February wonder if its going to be a birthday present or I have to take my check book along LOL.

• 16 years ago

I'm going to get my 440 QE tomorrow and the owner that will instruct me said to plan to stay there most of the day. She will go over everything about the machine. Now I'm wondering if I should get the extra embroidery component making it a 440 QEE it will be an extra $800.00. I saw Simply Quilts this morning where the guest used embroidery to quilt the blocks. Any input?

Janet

• 16 years ago

Hi there. I have the 44Qe and love it. I opted to get the BSR unit instead of the embroidery unit. I didn't think I would use the emb unit enough but that is just me. I have so much fun quilting. I do think it is cool how you can make embroidered blocks and make a quilt. Maybe one day I might purchase the emb unit. With the 44QE, the emb unit is run from a laptop and I do not have one. Another reason I did not get it.

• 16 years ago

You go Girl!!! You will love it !!! Stay and learn all you can . Its very easy to use too!!
    I did not get the embroidery thing

• 16 years ago

Janet,
    I have the 440QE with the BSR and the embroidery unit. I have been quite happy with my machine, but I'm still in awe of what it cost. Re: the embroidery unit - having to connect to the computer is a little bit of a pain, however the process is pretty simple. My suggestion - if you are going to get the machine, get the embroidery unit at the same time. Stay as long as you can for the lesson, go through the book page by page so you cover everything, and have them demo everything. This machine does so much that you could probably stay for a couple of days. Also - while you are learning, have them give you an idea of the optionals and other toys that are available, as well as what they can do and what they cost. Have fun today.
    Helen

• 16 years ago

I have looked at the Bernina 440QE, was floored by the price, now you are telling me they come with toys, oh wah. I will never get one. Sniff sniff.

Rita

• 16 years ago

Oh Rita, don't cry!! I was floored by the price too - my husband bought it for my birthday and Christmas and birthday and Christmas, etc. etc. probably for the rest of my life!! And - it's actually only my second sewing machine ever. My first was a hand-me-down (when I was 20) from one of my mom's close friends who lost her sight. I got the 440 for my 52nd birthday.

And as to the 'toys' that go with the 440QE, believe me, they all cost extra. I am happily living without them.
    Helen

• 16 years ago

Anything Bernina is overpriced :( but it's wonderful stuff.
    Personally, I wouldn't get the embroidery unit, I would buy a separate emb. machine that doesn't need to be attached to a laptop - really silly idea! I have a Janome that just needs a flash card or a memory stick. There are millions of free designs on the net to use too.
    The felting foot. Well. Where do I begin. What I enjoy doing is getting a piece of soluable stabiliser, felt all sorts of wools, silks etc on to it then shape it into a bowl or anything else you like, rinse then you have your bowl or whatever. You can "embed" all sorts of fabrics and threads onto a base fabric and make your own fabric, to make cushions, clothes etc. It's great fun and will fit onto other Bernina machines than the 440. But, not all.

• 16 years ago

Hello Islay!
    I would love to see pictures of your work, that you've done with wool. Have you used your felting foot on a quilt block?
    By the way, how are Granny and Harry? I would love to see a picture!!!

Janice

• 16 years ago

Here's a bowl

And here's Harry!

• 16 years ago

Good luck with your machines ladies. Did you take the plunge???

Islay, Thanks for sharing the picture of your bowl. I love the colors you used. The bowl idea sounds really neat. Do you leave the top free spirited and artistic or do you add a binding? I've been collecting wool and felting it to use in a quilt for my sister and BIL. They both are into spinning and love the feel of wool. I thought I might use a felting foot to make designs on the felted blocks. Do you think this might work?

...And Islay, Harry is just adorable!!! He has really grown. How old is he? I must ask, what on earth is the purple contraption??? I'm telling you, they are always coming up with new stuff. They didn't have all this fancy stuff when our boys (really young men now in their early twenties) were little!

Janice

• 16 years ago

Janice, the purple contraption hangs in a doorway and allows the baby to jump and bounce about. He loves it! Like a baby bungee! He was born on October 10th and he's just wonderful!
    For the bowls, I like to leave the edges all arty. I'm sure you could make some beautiful quilt blocks.

• 15 years ago

I actually have a Bernina 440 QEE that I'm interested in selling. It's brand new and has only been used for the classes that came with the machine. I also bought a few extra feet. My embroidery unit is the upgraded version from the one that comes with the machine. If interested, please contact me via email.

• 15 years ago

I got a 440 in early Jan. I am just taking the classes now. So far we did a half day on where all the basic controls are. I'm quite amazed at how much is automated like balancing the tension and how smooth the operation of the machine is. Changing feet is also a snap.

There's another class next Sat on all the stitches and gizmos and then an afternoon on using the BSR.

It might be worth seeing what kind of deal you can strike. I called everyone in my area who sold Berninas and asked who was going to give me the best deal. When I got the best one I thought I could, I took it back to the store nearest to me and they matched it which was interesting because I started with them and they said they couldn't do any better than the MSR price.

I will probably still piece with my Husquvarna 545 because I just had a counter built for it in my laundry room and because it's still a wonderful machine too but I'm thinking about sewing more clothes now that I have the Bernina. I have to set it up on my kitchen table but I need that additional space around the sewing machine to machine quilt anyway.

Learning to machine quilt and the BSR was why I bought the 440. I considered the embroidery unit for about 5 minutes but I doubt I'd use it much if at all and my computer is a Mac so I passed on it. If I were to spend additional $$$ I'd go for a serger rather than embroidery. I did get the felting foot/plate. I haven't played with it yet.

• 15 years ago

I have the same one,Bernina 440 QE
    with the BSR.Mine is 1yr old this mo & still haven't found all the things this machine can do.I have no interest in quilting bed size quilts,but love doing wall size/sofa throws & baby quilts.Sounds like a good deal to me.....you won't be sorry. PL

• 15 years ago

i have one for sale, if anyone is interested.
    contact me for details.
    have references as well.
    thank you,
    jennifer kosco

• 15 years ago

I just took the BSR class and I have to say I'm very disappointed that the BSR did not help the evenness of my FMQ as much as I hoped it would. I actually bought the machine for it.

The teachers kept saying there's a learning curve to it. Fair enough. But then I could have addressed my learning curve to learning to FMQ on my Viking!

FMQing scares the beejeebuz out of me!

PS I should add that the more I learn about how to use the 440 the more I love it and am impressed by it! It's just the BSR that's disappointing.

• 15 years ago

finally found this post.
    i have sold the 440qe.
    thank you to everyone who inquired.

just my two cents. you cant go wrong getting this machine. its a very nice machine.
    i can hear everyone saying, then why did you sell it?
    i bought the quattro, and have to sell my other machines to pay for it. otherwise, i would have kept it.
    i have one more machine left to sell, a viking designer 2 with a bunch of goodies.
    thanks,
    jennifer kosco

• 15 years ago

Don't give up on this machine if cost is the only thing holding you back.....

MOST (if not all) Bernina dealers offer no interest financing at any time for this machine (not just during special deals).

This option made it possible to purchase my "Dream Machine." This machine has been worth every dollar! I love it!!!

Give your "local" dealer a call. My dealer is 3 hours away......

• 13 years ago

I have one that I am selling with BSR and Embroidery modules. I have run a business solely on this baby for 3 years but finally upgraded to a commercial machine. I love my 440QE. It's the Rolls Royce as far as I'm concerned. Sews great. Embroiders great. Can't say enough about it. Email me if you're interested.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!