Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toolgranny

The 'lets introduce outselves' chain from May

16 years ago

I just found the introduction series and enjoyed reading it all. So much in common. But, it's probably too late to tack onto the bottom of that now.

I am a newbie here, not new to quilting. I just love all of the discussions I see. So, I'll be hooked to this site as I am hooked to quilting. It's keeping me sane. I really believe a person can't have too much fabric and it's amazing how much I've found at garage and estate sales.

I don't understand the retreats, groups, organizational things I'm seeing mentioned. How does one start getting into retreats and birthday groups?

Introduction wise: I am 66, now retired, live in a large house taking care of husband and elderly blind uncle with two more elderly near by. Out of pure boredom I started watching Alex Anderson on TV once I moved in here and had cable and since I live near her, took a class she taught. Then I jumped in and took more classes, bought books and went to any show I could get to easily. I live near San Francisco so there are many shops and sources around me.

I have sewed since a child so it was easy to take it up. I use deceased aunt's old Kenmore and grandma's Elna. I gave my Singer to a granddaughter. We have 11 grandchildren but none local. I fly to see them in Oregon, Las Cruces, NM, and Boulder, CO.

I so enjoy reading about all of you. Just getting female conversation again is so refreshing.

Linda

Comments (31)

• 16 years ago

Glad to know ya, Linda! Welcome. :-)
    MaryLiz
    Michigan

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda , Iam betty from Louisiana. Good to have on the board!!!!

Below is a link to quilting shows 24/7 so you can watch on you PC any time !!

click twice on the screen and it will enlarge

Here is a link that might be useful: quilt shows

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the link. That's great and I'll bookmark it.
    Linda

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda, The birthday groups form in September or October for the year that starts the next January. When you see a sign up post you jump in and sign up. Each group consists of 13 people so that each person gets 12 blocks on their birthday. The 2 retreats were formed last year and this is the first time that we are doing this. Colleen

• 16 years ago

welcome Linda! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but like the rest of us, quilting keeps us sane!

As for the swaps, generally someone has an interest and posts that interest. If there's enough feedback someone (generally the original person, but not always) will work up the details and post them and acts as hostess. We have everything from block swaps, fq swaps, challenges, strip swaps, anything there's enough interest in. Oh, and the birthday swap Amy started a few years ago got so popular that this year there are 5 groups I think! This is organized in the fall for the following January birthdays. If you do a search, you'll find the original post that explains it all.

The retreats are a new thing. One just happened in OK, and I'm hosting (with my able assistant, Teresa) another one on the NC/VA border in October. Again, there just seemed to be enough interest in getting together and meeting face to face so we stepped up to the plate and offered to organize them.

Glad you found this bee...it's a wonderful group of women! If you have questions, be sure to ask...you'll get plenty of good answers.

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda ,
    I am Red from Pennsylvania!

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda, I'm Lisa from Maine! My son lives outside of Boulder in Longmont.
    Please pull up a comfy chair and make yourself at home!
    Lisa

• 16 years ago

Hi Linda!
    I'm new here myself!
    I'm 39 and work in elder home health care. It's great to have something to do with my hands when we sit so much. That's what got me back into sewing, so much time on my hands!
    Mona Lisa

• 16 years ago

thanks for all the help. I'll keep up from now on.
    Linda

• 16 years ago

Hi Linda, I've been around a while, still fairly new to quilting correctly. I live in Columbia, Missouri. I'm from California. My two son's both live in the Seattle Washington area. Welcome. Cathey

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda. Pretty soon I will have been on this forum for a year, I think, but I made my first quilt back when I was in college. The forum has been a great inspiration and source of help.

• 16 years ago

Hi Linda! I joined this group in April and have been having fun since.

Vicky

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda, I haven't been here a year yet but
    come here everyday and sometimes more! I'm from
    Michigan and have been quilting since the early 70's.
    Mayme

• 16 years ago

Welcome, Linda!
    Kelly - NH

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda, glad you joined us. You can find help and support for just about anything here. We try to be just one big family around here.

beverly

• 16 years ago

Welcome from another Linda!
    Linda in Ohio

• 16 years ago

Welcome Linda and monalisa too!

• 16 years ago

Hi!! Im new here too. My name is Leah and I am a 19 year old student. I started quilting about 6 months ago and absolutly LOVE it!!!!!!! So far ive made a couple quilts for friends and family and now i am starting one for myself!! I love coming and reading the forum and i have already learend alot. I look forward to participating in some swaps when the summer is over.

• 16 years ago

Welcome everyone! Lots of new faces, isn't this great?

beverly

• 16 years ago

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this group also.
    I used to go to another forum but didn't like the changed format. I have been quilting since 1978 when I took a quilting class and made a full sampler quilt all by hand. I learned a great deal but the fabric back then was terrible. I have loved quilting every since then and have hopeful learned, improved, & developed a varity of techniques along the way.
    For a while I had a sm. business where I make mostly wallhangings and lap quilts but discovered that the market was limited and only a few were willing to pay for the value of handcrafted items.
    I have been married to my DH for 56 1/2 years, have 2 daughters, 5 grandchildren, 6 1/2 greatgrands. Whow!!And I am 74 as of last May. I have been retired from nursing (OR) for 9 years. Although I loved every minute I am greatful for the time to sew and read.
    We live in Upstate NY in the Fingerlake region in a sm. city called Canandaigua.
    I enjoy reading about everyone. What they are doing, where they live, and all the wonderful information they are willing to share.
    It is nice to be a part of such a cordial group.
    nanajayne

• 16 years ago

Welcome to all the new members!
    Woodsy (from PA)

• 16 years ago

Wow, so many new faces. Welcome to you all!

• 16 years ago

To all the new faces: Be sure to check out "the other side"href> of our forum, for OT (Off-Topic) conversations.

• 16 years ago

It's great to have you join this forum - I'm from Massachusetts and recently joined after lurking for a while. Most people function long term and day to day better with a passion to guide them. This forum will nurture anyone's quilting passion! Welcome!

• 16 years ago

A big WELCOME to all the newbies. So happy you found the forum, you won't spend time with a nicer bunch...I'm Dorothy, also from Pa., not too far from Red...Married 53 years, 5 married kids, 13 grand kids, 4 inside cats and 3 semi ferals that live on our back porch...And love, love to quilt, read and cross stitch...
    Dorothy

• 16 years ago

Good to meet all of you. Sisters in Quilting I suppose.

Thanks Maryliz for that OT side. Didn't know it existed.

• 16 years ago

Welcome to all. Remember 'We love pictures!' This could be one of our mottos.

• 16 years ago

Hi Linda - welcome. By the way, do you go to the quilt show in September in Livermore at the garden? I have been looking at the website and it sure looks nice.
    Allie

• 16 years ago

A big welcome from the other coast, and north a bit. Canadian Maritimes to be exact. I participate in the Birthday swaps and am hoping to make the Oct retreat. Caution.... this site is adictive.

^_-

Faye.

• 16 years ago

Welcome to all. I'm Geri from New York (Schenectady). Haven't done much quilting this summer as we bought a new RV and have been traveling a little and trying to keep up with the garden. I check in several times a day to keep up with inspiration and such. It's a fun and caring forum.

:)

• 16 years ago

Hi,

Welcome Linda, and all newbies. This site is totally addictive, just like quilting itself!

Connie