Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2sew_gw

What Do You Use to Shine Up Featherweights?

15 years ago

I was wondering what to use to shine up my little Annie. My DH thinks I am going to wear off the decals and damage the black finish by sewing with it. I bought it to use so I was thinking if I polished it with something maybe it would protect the finish. I certainly don't use it frequently...I think I have sewed on it 3 or 4 times since I got it in June. I couldn't find any information on the internet.
Jean

Comments (8)

• 15 years ago

I just use a cotton ball and Singer oil. Thats what the repairman told me 40 years or more ago.

• 15 years ago

Carnuba Wax for cars is what's usuall recommended by the serious sewing machine collectors. You will need to make sure any surface oil is cleaned off the machine and then you just follow the instructions. Meguiar's seems to be the most popular brand.

Annie

• 15 years ago

Annie..I'm sure you're right for a collectable machine.... I wasn't thinking. I use mine every day so it never occured to me. Marge

• 15 years ago

Jean,
    Please don't be afraid to use your Featherweight when you can have many years of sewing pleasure from it. These little workhorse machines were meant to be used often. If you look at the bed of your machine you may find some light scratches made by sewing pins years ago. These are part of your machines history. With care, you will not further damage the decals and finish of your FW. Sorry, but I disagree with your DH. As you stated, you bought this machine to use.

Teresa

• 15 years ago

Carnuba wax is not just for the collectible machines, the wax is a good protectant for any metal machine. The primary reason that it's popular is because it protects the decals so that you don't have to worry about using the machine.

I second Teresa's comments about using a Featherweight. They aren't considered antiques by collectors because they aren't old or rare enough to qualify. The reason they are still getting such good prices is because they are good machines to USE. It's actually quilters that are driving the up the prices because they want them for taking to retreats.

Annie

• 15 years ago

Thanks Teresa and Annie for your advice. I would feel really bad if I damaged the decals or scratched the bed...I don't even put pins in what I sew on this machine. LOL DH wanted me to tape plastic over the decals so I wouldn't damage them.

I told him about the car wax today and he said PERFECT. He just loves the little machine and he is so happy I purchased it. Now I am also happy as I won't be worrying about damaging the decals.
    Jean

• 15 years ago

Use your machine! It will make you happy!

I just use pledge on mine :)
    The purists would die if they saw my white one.
    I have put lovely decals on it, it looks great. They
    are decals designed by Donna Dewberry, it's sweet & I
    get tons of comments on it. I have to say that my black one has a nicer stitch & get used more often.

I agree it's the quilters that have pushed the price up, but it has given them the recognition they deserve & they are a quality product deserving of the price. Jill

• 15 years ago

I had never seen a featherweight before yesterday. I had seen pictures but didn't realize how small they are. I was at an antique shop and in the back room was a type of artists studio and a lady had been working on a quilt with a featherweight. I asked if it was a childs machine as it was so tiny. She had the quarter inch marked with tape.

Just made me think of all of you. Deanna

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County