Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
looony2nz

Water comes in ? Possible foundation crack?

18 years ago

once or twice a year, and just recently after Hurricane Wilma, water comes in at the baseboard along the 25-30 feet or so of the side of our house where there is all grass. it does't flood, but begins to seep in and we have to put towels down. It really has to be a bad drenching rain, or driving rain from that side, but its definitely coming in from the ground. I am thinking there is a crack in the foundation just below the visible side of the house. we are thinking of digging up the grass along the problem area, exposing the foundation a little and slapping on some kind of "sealant" to remedy the problem, then replacing the grass. Does this sound familiar to anyone and what "sealant" or whatever would you use.

thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• 18 years ago

rub-r-wall makes a good foundation sealer,it stays flexible expanding/contracting according to the elements, but any masonry supply or even your local lumber/hardware should carry foundation sealers.

Here is a link that might be useful: foundation sealer

• 18 years ago

I guess I have to ask now, what is a sill plate.
    So do you mean we should make a greater slope down from the house? (or build it up) ? ...so that the water runs down away from the wall on that side?
    thanks.

• 18 years ago

The sill plate is a framing member that supports,on a basement or stemwall, your floor joists. On a slab foundation supports your wall framing,(studs,top plates,cieling joists,etc).From your description, im assuming you have a slab foundation and sounds as if your finished grading,(the dirt), is too high.Generally sidings/stucco hang down a little lower than the sill plate, but if your soil is up against the bottom of your siding or stucco,you'll need to remove a good deal of dirt and slightly slope the dirt away from the house, before replanting your grass.If you can, remove enough soil to leave a 3-4" (minimum) gap between the bottom of your siding/stucco, and the top of the soil.You might want to double check to see if you have some seeping from somewhere high on your wall or from a possible roof leak, as you stated that it happens during heavy rains. From the sound of things, and forgive me if i misread or misunderstood, it's your soil being too tall in the area of your wall to foundation connection causing the seepage.

• 18 years ago

mmm. Yes, we have a slab foundation as far as I know. As far as removing that much soil away from the side of my house...don't think we can do that. It would be A LOT of dirt and work for just me and my husband. What you describe is probably the issue. We will have to do the best we can and use the sealant, and hope that helps. Do you just "paint" that stuff on down there (near the sill???) or how is it applied and where.
    thanks so much

• 18 years ago

If you feel that is the problem,(soil too high), i dont think sealing will take care of it because you will be sealing the foundation only, which would still allow the water to seep up into and through the sill plate. Unless you go to the trouble of pulling your siding or stucco and running some flashing up the wall and down over the sillplate and foundation,then sealing all,the sealing is useless. This would be a lot of work and definetely more expense than lowering your grade(soil) height.You might want to get an estimate from a landscaper who has the equipment,(bobcat),to come in and do this for you. With the right equipment, it wouldn't take that long to do, and you could still do the replanting of your grass. If you go this route, be sure to get references from the landscapers, and get more than one estimate. Better if you know someone that has had a landscaper they were happy with.A lot prep contractor might be another avenue, using the same m.o. as above(references,estimates,personal referalls,etc).

• 18 years ago

If you decide on going ahead with just sealing, dig down and out aways to give you plenty of room to properly clean the foundation of dirt and debris.The sealer is basically like paint only a little heavier. You can just brush it on. If possible, brush the sealer up into the sidings/stucco underside,(the bottom part that you dont see), and try to get a good seal there as well.If you see any large gaps under the siding/stucco, you might want to fill these gaps with the appropriate caulk that is compatible with the sealer. The outfit that sells the sealer will be able to advise on this caulk.

• 18 years ago

From the description, it seems the water is seeping in at the base of the wall, at the jucture with the slab. It's likely coming through the construction joint between the foundation wall and the footing and then through the joint between the slab and wall. This is not uncommon. I had that problem, and was able to resolve it by the inside weeping system method. Otherwise, you will have to dig to the weeping tile on the outside and waterproof the wall and fix the weeping tile system and backfilling.

I've linked another forum discussion which gives some info as to the process. I'm tedha in that forum

Here is a link that might be useful: mike holmes

• 18 years ago

The inside fix might be an easier solution, but unless the grading problem is taken care of , it's only a bandaid fix.It might not be a weep screed situation, as they did not state stucco or siding.Leaving the grading/grass up high could lead to more problems than just the water running into the house by running between the sill and foundation,(as mentioned prior),the problem could lead to mold and rot issues as well.

• 18 years ago

Its stucco. I have a neighbor who is Mr. Handy and I will have him take a look at it and your recommendations. Your help is much appreciated

• 18 years ago

I have the exact same problem - stucco home, water leak from the foundation. Baseboards and carpet near the wall get soaked with each drenching rain. Understand must dig away dirt and change the slope where the leak is and use a sealant. However, two additional issues. The leak is in the front corner room. Only one side has the issue as the grass line suprasses the stucco line yet, the front side of the room exterior the stucco which is higher than the grass line appears like its moldy and could break away. Secondly, I also have a water outlet near the where the water comes in. What do I do about that? How do I check that it is not part of the problem. Thanks since I am quite frazzed by this.

• 18 years ago

Stucco is not waterproof and will hold moisture and that moisture can travel.It's possible that the moisture has collected on the front part that you described and the moisture is prevelant enough to cause mold and,getting weak, will break down in time and crumble.The water outlet is suspect as well, and i think would be a matter of digging down to search for a possible leak.Some plumbing is run under slab,and by digging down you find that it is protruding out from under the slab,You might have to pull some carpet back to see if your concrete is damp, but your first indication would be that the soil is heavily saturated in the area of the dig and wet even down deeper than the plumbing line.Since you mentioned that it only gets soaked during a drenching rain,i would lower the soil and seal on the one side, and see how that goes as far as drying up is concerned. If it stays wet,Then i would look into that water line by digging down first and inspecting for a leak.Im assuming by water outlet you are talking about a hose bib.If it protrudes through the stucco wall up from the foundation,(usually about 12"),it could be leaking somewhere between the bib and the foundation in the wall itself.I would think that if this was the case however, that you would have some interior damage to your sheetrock as well as the moldy stucco out front.

• 3 years ago

Hello I'm having the same problem mines is towards the back of the side of the house water leaks through the baseboards with heavy rain only. Just had my house stucco got estimate but he should not have to touch the stucco above isn't he digging down so many feet to the foundation.?

• 3 years ago

Same problem here

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Bought my home a year and 4 months ago and this morning I am seeing the the water coming in from the back through the baseboard due to this ongoing rain in palm beach county. Just wondering if the home insurance cover this.