Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Shiny Brass Fixtures?

16 years ago

We are getting ready to sell our 6 year old home and although I liked my shiny brass fixtures...faucts, drawer pulls, light fixtures, switch plates, door knobs, and trim on everything....(and I do still like it)....BUT according to HGTV and other articles I have read, brass definately is out of date. DH says it would cost a fortune to replace everything and then maybe not suit the next owner. What is your opinion? And have you had any luck spray painting light fixtures, etc.?

Thank you.

Comments (10)

• 16 years ago

I have used rustoleum to paint fans and they look awesome. (It only took 10 minutes) I bought new hinges and knobs and it cost around $150. Switch plates would be really inexpensive also. I'm leaving the door knobs since they really aren't too noticeable. I had a friend over last weekend that commented they liked our new fan and was blown away I had just painted it. Good luck!

• 16 years ago

Although I agree that brass fixtures are considered out of date, I believe fixture finish is definitely a personal preference. I don't think it would be a good investment to change them all right before moving. As long as they are in good shape, it is probably not something that is going to make or break a sale.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for this post,

thought I agree with jaymielo, it's probably not worth it to change now, especially if the brass is pervasive throughout your whole house. (And who knows, the one interested in your home may like brass too!)

But, I am the spray paint queen- I have oodles and oodles of spray paint cans and even more jars of craft paint- why didn't I think of spray painting my brass light fixtures? Duh- will do that this weekend- now I don't have to rush to replace- will just do it as I find the perfect lights!!!

• 16 years ago

Let the buyers replace the shiny brass. Give them a 'brass discount' :)

Yes, shiny brass has been 'out' for several years and there is no sign of it coming back any time soon. However, finishes are cyclic and who knows it may come back. Meanwhile, its all about stainless, nickel, orb, and some chrome is coming back.

Just make sure the brass is clean and not etched.

• 16 years ago

we just bought our home last september and every single fixture is polished brass, which i despise.

we bought the house anyway. we realized that fixtures are changeable and things like location, lot, number of rooms, etc, aren't.

the right buyer will be able to see past fixtures. all these HGTV shows keep repeating the belief that potential buyers can't see past clutter, ugly wallpaper/paint, and dated fixtures. don't believe it--they're just trying to sell stuff.

• 16 years ago

Yes, it's considered "dated," but if you replace everything with ORB your buyer will want brushed nickel, or vice versa. I changed out all my brass doorknobs at a cost of about $300 (mid-priced range at HD, no quantity discount), but am changing light fixtures out slowly, and the cost of replacing the fireplace trim is about $700. IMO the spray paint idea is only worth it if you have nothing better to do with your time and you can achieve a perfectly smooth result. If your brass is still shiny new, don't even offer a discount unless they ask or unless your realtor advises it; chances are in this market that you'll get a counteroffer anyway, and I usually see credits/allowances offered only when fixtures are obviously horrible.

• 16 years ago

Thanks for all your responses. I guess I'll agree with my DH and leave the shiny brass fixtures alone. They are in top shape, quality items, and they do go with the style of house. I am not a "comtempory or modern person", so things are pretty traditional. I am not one who likes Stainless Steel (too cold looking and hard to take care of). We have marble countertops, but they do etch badly if not kept sealed....but again, as long as they look good, we don't think it is worth the extra cost of doing granite. Our home is 4,000 SF and in great shape so I guess I had better quit worring about what I see on HGTV~~

• 16 years ago

yep. quit worrying. HGTV invests a lot of energy and funds into trying to give people inferiority complexes about their homes, especially people who are trying to sell their homes.

i enjoy watching it, but you've gotta take that stuff with many grains of salt. remember who pays their bills.

• 16 years ago

I think that the very nice brass switchplates like those from Baldwin are quality touches that make a big difference in a home. We have a mixture of fixtures in our bathrooms; some were remodeled and changed to brushed nickel before we bought and others we've switched to ORB. Our floor heating vents, however, are all shiny, beautiful brass---we bought these to replace the ugly industrial metal looking ones and the brass looked best with the colour of our wood and limestone floors.

Although we don't have tv and I see HGTV only when staying in a hotel, I have been very UNimpressed with the ability of the designers, the quality of materials, etc. Everything is for show, nothing of lasting quality... the higher end shelter magazines are much better indicators of trends that are real improvements and not fads, imo.