Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbkruckow1968

Wallpaper Border that doesn't want to come off

13 years ago

Help! My kitchen wallpaper border won't come off! I have tried wall paper remover from Lowes, vinegar, Oxyclean...anyone out there have some advice for me!! My arms are about to fall off and my hands are worn out!

Comments (8)

• 13 years ago

I feel your pain as I am in the process of wallpaper removal myself. We even have wallpaper on the ceiling. THE CEILING! lol...

What seems to work best for us is to use a spray bottle (or old windex bottle), fill with very warm/hot water, and about a tablespoon or so of dish detergent or fabric softener(they are interchangable), spray the walls generously and allow to soak in for a minute or two. Then use a metal spatula to scrape, scrape, scrape.

I hope this helps!

• 13 years ago

I had three rooms of wallpaper boarder and it seemed it was up there for life. The best thing I found was something called WallWik or simple strip. They look like pieces of felt. First you score the paper be careful. Soak the strips in a bucket of remover or you can use their solution. Put them over the scored boarder and spray with some solution or even just hot water. The secret is to keep the surface wet. I let it sit about 30 min keeping it wet.Take down the wallwik and it should be ready to come off.

Here is a link that might be useful: wallwik

• 13 years ago

Have you tried one of the wallpaper scoring tools? This allows the stripper to soak in. If that fails you can try steaming it (after scoring).

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/how-to-remove-wallpaper/index.html

http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/steaming-wallpaper/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Scoring tool

• 13 years ago

Another thing you can do is spray the area with very, very hot water and whatever remover you are using, and then cove it in saran wrap for 15-20 minutes.

• 13 years ago

I just experienced the same thing in my mothers house. We are getting it ready to sell and the wall paper had to go. I tried everthing from scoring, a water and fabric softner mix in a spray bottle, comercial removers, and finaly resorted to renting a wallpaper steamer. It came off great with the steamer. Rental was $45 for 4 hours. I was working on a time crunch, so that was my most time saving method.
    Good Luck
    daisy

• 13 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice. I think at this point the steamer might be the option of choice as I am tired of scraping, scraping, scraping. I will never put wallpaper or border up again. This is the last room in the house with it!! Thanks again.

• 13 years ago

Use a STEAMER ... it is the BEST for taking off wallpaper and borders. It is well worth the $50 and you can usually get them at Lowe's or Home Depot.

• 13 years ago

Of course, you could always give up on getting the border down and install crown molding to cover it!