Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathec_gw

Cool drawer organizers

12 years ago

I was scanning ikeafans for a totally unrelated issue when I came upon these drawer organizers called Drawer Decor. They come in several different colors. They're basically silicone mats that have spacers you can customize.

I'm still a long ways from loading in my drawers, so this is going in my file, but I thought someone else might be looking at solutions now.

Too bad they don't have orange or yellow.

Comments (21)

• 12 years ago

Can you post a link?

• 12 years ago

I think this is what she means...

Here is a link that might be useful: drawer decor link

• 12 years ago

"Drawer Decor" in a search engine did it for me.

from what i saw, it's nothing to write home about.

• 12 years ago

I think they are fantastic!!! This looks like exactly what I have been looking for for my utility drawer - you know where you store your can opener, corkscrew, pizza cutter, barbecue tongs, vegetable peeler, bottle opener, etc. and no matter what you do it all gets lumped in together. Love the individual slots and the fact that they are interchangeable! I had been looking at wood ones but I don't use half the things they had in theirs so it seemed to be a waste. These look perfect!

• 12 years ago

I love that they come in purple! And that they are easy to clean and interchangeable!

• 12 years ago

Those look like fun. A little secretive punch of color!

• 12 years ago

Not very practical. Eight items in one drawer?

• 12 years ago

check 'em out! neato!

Here is a link that might be useful: drawerdecor

• 12 years ago

I like them, but I'd want feedback that they actually keep thing in their place! Who wants to order and be the guinea pig for garden web ;)

Manufacturers should send one of us a "test sample" to review for the others on the forum!!

• 12 years ago

Lovin' the sky blue; however, I think I can get more in my drawers with the Rationell dividers. Perhaps I have too many gadgets. (Ya think? ;^) )

• 12 years ago

I agree that these don't look like they fit enough into the drawers for me, but they're very cool! Thanks for posting.

• 12 years ago

Hm...I also don't like step 1. That's get rid of stuff that doesn't fit the organizer, rather than making the organizer fit your stuff. :( I hate it when they do that with closets too. Getting rid of bad stuff is worthwhile. Getting rid of stuff just to get rid of it leads to buying more stuff that won't fit because you don't have the stuff you got rid of any more.

Case in point. I have five whisks which I've acquired over 30 years. Each is different. I use them all. I've made do with no whisks at all, just a fork, though I bought a whisk almost immediately. I don't have room for all five and this system. Instead, I have whisks and tongs in one large utensil tray so they're easy to get at and 7-8 pieces fit in the space that would need to be allocated for two.

It's a really cool system, however, and I like the flexibility, as opposed to the 100% fitted ones that look like a Halliburton briefcase with foam inserts cut to fit all one's photographic equipment. Problem is, when you get a new widget that's shapped slightly differently than the old broken one, it doesn't fit the hole. The Drawer Decor gives the same function, with a lot more flexibility. But only one whisk.

• 12 years ago

yalll - I take your looping point, plllog. But I think you could use the Lee Valley slotting effort because it looks highly retractable. That is, you could set up that briefcase one way using Lee Valley slots, but then on the day you wake up to discover you've acquired 17 whisks and they no longer fit the old setup, I think you can just pull the old slots out and reposition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley drawer organizer organizer

• 12 years ago

Oh, sure, you could do that, but that's pretty much the same idea as the rectangular utensil trays I have now. They come in different sizes too, and interlock, but I think you lose the James Bond cool when you fill up the divisions rather than having each particular tool hugged. Though I guess you could Julia it up and draw the outlines on the bottoms. :)

• 12 years ago

Hmmmm.... would you be willing to show a picture of these James Bond utensil trays?

I thought I knew what you were talking about at first only now I'm not so sure....

• 12 years ago

in the video, you can see that the Drawer Decor separators have to be exactly 1" apart. That is where the little ridges are. If the distance is not 1", it's something in that range. Maybe 3cm.

It's a useless idea whose time has come.

• 12 years ago

I think I'll stick with Tupperware trays or Rubbermaid shoebox sized boxes that I rummage around in muttering "it's got to be here!" -- categorized according to approximate function: mixing or cutting or grating or scraping/sifting or measuring.

I really liked the rubbermaid shoebox solution the other day when a bottle of blackstrap molasses leaked in a drawer -- it was in the plastic "sweet stuff" box. Could have been ugly.
    lynn

• 12 years ago

This has to be the coolest drawer organizer I've ever seen:
    {{!gwi}}

or

{{!gwi}}

I went for a scaled down version for our kitchen using OXO utensils in the hopes that if something goes wrong with one, OXO will have a replacement available that fits!

• 12 years ago

I got the cheap plastic trays at ikea. They're 3times the size as my rubbermaid ones and they fill the drawer nicely. In the pic with the red divider, what is the weapon like thing on the bottom right?

• 12 years ago

Joyjoyjoy,

I'm pretty sure it's the same OXO muddler that's in the green one: {{!gwi}}

• 12 years ago

Sorry to post and go MIA. I meant to paste the link, I remember copying it, but totally brain farted. It was one of those nights, fell asleep early, woke up around 3 am, couldn't go back to sleep, TKO brain wouldn't stop working, posted around 5 am.

As for how much you can fit, I'm guessing you can load up to your heart's content, stack things on top of one another, etc. Hey, at 5 am, the color was what really attracted me.