Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rorycn

Thoughts on CLs dining table please

10 years ago

This is on my local CLs.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fuo/3944998902.html

The table is the right size for my DR and I have been looking for a pedestal type table. The seller does not know the make and thinks it is about 15 years old. My very uneducated guess is that it is older than 15 years. The seller also sent me pictures of the legs.

I have not seen it in person and wanted to get any opinions before I make arrangement to see it in person. Does this look like a poorly made table or is there anything in the pictures that would indicate it is worth taking a look at?

Here is a link that might be useful: CLs ad

Comments (17)

• 10 years ago

Duncan Phyfe is a style that has been reproduced for a long time. Without a closer look at the wood, finish, and understructure it's hard to say how old it is ... but yes, I think it's older than 15 years, possibly from the '50s

$80 is an incredible price for the table and chairs -- well worth a closer look! Check to see if it wobbles and, if so, see if it might just be caused by loose screws. But even if you have to rebuild and refinish it, the price is right!

• 10 years ago

I had a table and chairs like that from my grandparents. It wasn't heirloom quality and has since moved on.

Based upon my experience, here are the things I think you need to look for:

The chairs are weak where the shield joins the back legs. Check carefully for cracks and repairs in that area.

Check the dining table to make sure the legs are securely attached to the top. Push down hard firmly on one side then the other to see if it gives.

Check the attachment of each foot to the central pedestal.

Check each foot for spliting, especially in the curved part.

The table and chairs served my grandparents well, then me as a young married, then my daughter as a college student. We are not hard on furniture, but with each generation, the table deteriorated further until my daughter gave it to someone who was talented enough to make the necessary repairs.

• 10 years ago

It is a common table style, as mentioned above. They come in different styles (oblong, oval, and round, as well as dropleaf).

This is my very uneducated view, but I think the difference comes from how delicate the chairs/legs are.

I have a mismatched set. The dropleaf table we got from CL collapsed the very day we brought it home. Dunno what happened because my DH and I tested it out thoroughly. At least I like the chairs because they are smaller, and I can fit three on each side.

The table we got to replace it matches the style and color, but isn't as refined as I'd like. The chairs it came with (our spares) are rather bulky. Like these:
    {{!gwi}}

I say, if you want this style and are not in a hurry, take your time. You will definitely find more, but maybe not for $80. However, if you wait long enough, you may pay a bit more but GET a better set, too.

Check out the details . . .that is where you will notice the quality.

ETA: Here is another set on your CL. Table condition looks better: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/fuo/3920511717.html

More: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=duncan+dining&zoomToPosting=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar Table

This post was edited by anele on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 0:04

• 10 years ago

I would not hesitate to go see it. I agree, its probably from the 50s. Just make sure that if you lean on one end, the table isn't too 'shakey'. (those chair seats are easy to recover.)

ML

• 10 years ago

I would look at the double pedestal table anele posted, too. We have a similar oval pedestal table and it is not perfectly tight any more, especially with all the leaves in it. I suspect a double pedestal would be more sturdy, but that is just a guess.

• 10 years ago

I may go out tomorrow to take a look. Here is another picture from the seller. The edges look pretty worm to me.

• 10 years ago

Those edges would be pretty easy to fix, especially with something like restore-a-finish. Another thought when buying a table...sit at it and make sure the apron is high enough for someone to cross legs comfortably. That is always irritating for me when I hit my knee.

• 10 years ago

$80 for the set? Shoot! In my area they are asking easily 5 times that for the table and 4 chairs (no captains) or table cover. I'd buy it! Even if it wasn't DF, and lasted only a couple years-that's a heck of a buy.

• 10 years ago

Funny you should mention the apron Cyn - that is the reason I want another dining table. The one that I have has a very low apron and I can't cross my legs so I find it uncomfortable to sit at. My table is very nice looking (for my taste) and is solid wood and well constructed but sitting at it drives me crazy.

• 10 years ago

I think you should look at it, esp. if it is only the sides that are worn.

I like the chairs, too.

• 10 years ago

For $80, I woud definitely go look at it! My local CL had a similar set, at least the table, and the person wanted $200 or best offer. The table was also banged up on the edges, and one of the table legs needed fixing.

If you're wanting something 'for the moment' what can it hurt to take a look at it. It will pay for itself in a couple of weeks if you find it comfortable~you can't put a price on comfort. ;o)

• 10 years ago

I am going to look at it today. Hopefully it is sturdy. My current table is a trestle table and that thing does not budge so I am used to something solid.

• 10 years ago

Can't wait to hear what you decide!

• 10 years ago

Pedestal tables are harder to come by than 4 leg tables. I searched CL for several years and recently bought a similar table and chairs with china cabinet and buffet for $1200. My set is from the 1940's. I think it's a good price at $80 if you like it. You can barely buy one chair at Walmart for $80.

• 10 years ago

Glad you are going. My dropleaf DP table is the one that fell apart-- this time we got one similar to yours and it is very sturdy. Ours has some scratches and places where people put down hot things w/o a pad (from the previous owners), but it makes me feel better because it is not so precious. My cats always get some scratch marks on furniture, so this way I don't feel bad about it when I use just a runner and they put more on . . .

You can EASILY change the upholstery on the chairs yourself, which will give it a beautiful, fresh look. The wood on your set is really pretty.

• 10 years ago

Hi, I bought the set but was at a picnic until late last night so I still have not taken it out of the truck. It needs some work because some of the chairs are a bit loose. I did find the name Drexel on the bottom of one of the chairs. I am going to inspect the pieces and see if I can find any more markings.

• 10 years ago

Congratulations! It is a lovely set and the pad alone would be a deal at the price you paid for everything. Can't wait to see it in situ!