Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

I found my perfect red, somewhere I never thought I would...

16 years ago

The new MS colors at Lowe's. It's "Brick Hearth", yes, as in "It's a Brick...Hearth", of course we sang it (quietly) when picking up our sample :)

I've been searching high and low for the perfect orangeybut not too orangey red--I know it's "this season's color", and it's even on one of her cards there, but I've always loved it and it will have legs beyond this season because of its less-orangeyness. Don't see it being used much online when I google it, which I like :)

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone's looking for a great red. I had thought all her Lowe's colors were a bit melancholic, but this one works *perfectly* in all the spaces' lights (which include track halogen, daylight, and incandescent). The other main contender had been her SW Monarch, actually (EK rust was too dark and EK carnelian too orange)--but it kept itching me as just a touch too orange for longevity. This one is "just right" :)

Comments (21)

• 16 years ago

Don't you just love those perfect finds?
    You could have made a commercial for ole Marth at that
    *I found it* moment.
    I lol@ "Its a Brick.....Hearth"!

• 16 years ago

LOL yep, although I hardly think Martha needs any help :) I am really *so* silly-happy about this color--it sounds odd...I really want this red to go up over the boring old red-brown paint there is there now. It has to wait until I finish the project I'm working on right now, though, even though it would be GREAT for our S.A.D.-inclined family...but one must stay disciplined...

• 16 years ago

Hi flyleft... we meet again (remember the vanity pulls??)! I had to read about your perfect red, and had to tell you I just did the same thing, only it's BM's Georgian Brick! I LOVE this color! I put it in my entry foyer to have a bold, warm color to welcome people, and to coordinate with my brick fireplace in the adjoining room. I loved this color so much I had them put it in my mudroom too! I knew I'd want to see more of that color somewhere else!

Where did you use your brick paint?

• 16 years ago

Hi, bloomin! I love those pulls and they cleaned up to be quite usable (not perfect, but hey, vintage :)) but unfortunately there weren't the right amount to use either on top or on bottom of the cabinets in the laundry room :( I'm going to work them in somewhere, though...even if it comes to putting them on furniture. They're so wonderful--your bathroom turned out fabulous, as I recall it in my foggy mind, but these are still also fabulous and they've found a new home. In fact, this is funny: if you go to Lowe's, you'll see that they've started carrying something very much like them in their special order "retro" or "mcm" section of handles--LOL!

I want to go see the Georgian Brick now--it sounds wonderful and I love that it coordinates with the brick on the fireplace :). Now that I think about it, we have a "Brick Hearth" too...I've wanted to cover it over for a long time, though...but maybe that's what the PO was thinking of when she put the Devine dead-red (that's what I call it--it's the deadest red you can imagine...like dried blood except not as vibrant) in here.

I'm using it in the exact places the PO put the dead-red (the Devine person herself did a color consult here and suggested it go on a central wall that wraps around into several rooms), so it's in the entry, the hall, one wall of the dining room, the stairs to the upstairs, and one wall in the family room. It will contact with a light greenish-beige (tba) in the family room, and another Devine light brownish color (which I don't like, but I'm not going to repaint it right now--it's mostly all two-story).

It's funny how a color can make you so happy. With all that's going on in the world, I feel at times like a huge jerk saying I've found a perfect red, ykwim?

• 16 years ago

Can't wait to see pics, Flyleft! Sounds like you have enough red in enough places to keep you happy for some time! Nothing like red to cheer things up, in my opinion. I never thought I'd like the orangey-reds either, but I love it now that it's up. The trim (or anything else for that matter) isn't done yet, but here's a little peek:

The fireplace brick isn't up yet, but it will match the brick on the floors in the kit/dining area, which is why I chose Georgian Brick paint:

Anyway, don't forget to share pictures... Good luck with the rest of your choices!

bloomin...

• 16 years ago

Beautiful match to the floors, bloomin, wow. The first pic looks a lot like the MS Brick Hearth, actually. Which BM formula paint did you have it mixed in?

• 16 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I just wanted to give a hint of "things to come" by putting the brick color in the entry. It's BM Regal in Flat. What finish are you doing? I'm a little worried about "chalking" on such a deep color... I have to go do a search on here where I remember someone talking about how to prevent that! You know, when something scrapes lightly against the red wall and leaves a white mark?? Ever hear of that?

• 16 years ago

I recently painted my foyer in a similar shade still waiting for carpet runner and finishing touches.

• 16 years ago

Deeelicious!! Love it with the panels - DH wants to use those in our little foyer as well. What color did you use for the trim and panels? And what's the name of that red?

bloomin...

• 16 years ago

Thank you, we used
    BEHR
    Spicy Cayenne
    Cinnamon Cake - Inside Wainscotting Panels
    Pure White Trim

• 16 years ago

Another WOW :) Love the way it picks up the wonderful inset contrasting wood on the floor. How was it working with Behr paint? I don't even look at their samples because of their reputation, but that color is certainly fabulous...how many coats did you use?

• 16 years ago

The Behr paint was fine. Our painter does prefer BM which we have in most of the rooms. We did 2 coats of spicy Cayenne over "Gripper" primer.

• 16 years ago

I just found "Georgian Red" also and am desperately looking for a place to paint it in my home. I bought the sample for the dining room, but DH is not fond of it. I think that he is afraid it is too dark. The space is not big, so I am not sure. It is a great color!! and coordinates with my cherry stained floors.

• 16 years ago

modar - I painted my dining room in my last home dark burgundy! Deep, dark red, not purple-ish. My DH thought I was nuts, be he did his best to keep his mouth shut, and he ended up loving it! It was a small room, and I think the color warmed up the space and made it feel cozy and rich at the same time. We got lots of compliments. I chose Georgian Brick for this house because I was trying to coordinate with my brick fireplace and brick floors in another room. I love the color!

Good luck with your choices,
    bloomin...

• 16 years ago

Ah, thanks, judie (didn't see your post until bloomin posted again!--sorry). Two coats is great to get such rich coverage as you have. That's just a beautiful picture, again, esp. with the floors.

• 16 years ago

bloominwhereplanted - Thanks for the encouragement. I rallied the troops (neighbors, children, and friends) and persuaded husband that "Georgian Brick" was worth a try. (Actually, I think he is just tired of discussing color choices.) Anyway, we are about to go and buy a gallon or two, before he changes his mind.

I am so glad, because like "flyleft", I feel like it is the perfect color!

• 16 years ago

Bloomin, are those floors real, thick brick or a tile brick? I love that Georgian Brick color, too! Looks very beautiful. I also like it in the flat finish -- there are tonal variations in the pic, did you do something special to get that effect or is it just an illusion, or plaster walls maybe?

• 16 years ago

Hi squirrelheaven - The brick floors are real antique, reclaimed brick that has been sliced into roughly 1/2" thick tiles. Glad you like the red paint! Any variations you see are a result of the light fixture casting shadows, I think! This weekend DH started installing wainscot panels on the wall in the entry, and also installed crown moulding. Now I have to decide what to do with the inside of the panels - paint? wallpaper? I do like judiegal's above...

bloomin...

• 16 years ago

Thanks for the info :) Curious, did you seal the brick at all? Extend it into the kitchen? No hijack .. that's all folks!

Thanks!

• 16 years ago

Yup, a couple coats of masonry sealer. Makes it easy to clean! And yes, the brick extends into the kitchen. Frenchkitty is who I have to blame for the idea - apparently it's much more common in the south!

HTH,
    bloomin...

• 16 years ago

Hi again. We are in the Northeast and put a brick mudroom 20 years ago . It still looks as good as new (or old actually). years of kids (6) running in and out and years of construction. We did put a sealer on it but vacuuming it weekly is about all I do. Wash it occasionally but you can never tell its dirty. It is our entry from the garage.