Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanpn

what do you keep in those 'card catalogue' compartments if your k

14 years ago

You know what I mean, the little extra cabinet space that gets filled in with maybe 4 or 5 square open (or sometimes drawers) spaces. Other than using them to hold your wine bottles, how have you made them useful?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• 14 years ago

It probably depends where it is located [in the kitchen] what would be most useful. We have a very tiny drawer next to the range which has nothing but spatulas in it. They stand on their sides and nest.

• 14 years ago

So true about the location factor. I've always suspected those tiny decorative drawers on wall cabinets in heavy work areas would be mostly useless in my kitchen. But--I have a line of little 9" deep drawers on the traffic side of my island (in 12" deep cabinets) that works well to hold in each: Take-out menus. Most-used pencil/tape/notepad-type stuff. Most-used housewife tools (MY everyday screwdrivers, tape measure, etc.). Vitamins/pills. A similar pair of drawers across the aisle under the little coffee-counter holds tea bags, sweeteners, napkins, and so on. They're definitely worth the space they take.

• 14 years ago

I have 2 sets of those spice drawers because of design. You can re-work a kitchen forever but get stuck with them anyway. Mine are 5-6" drawers on the lower cabinet runs (2' deep). One is by the oven/dishwasher and one is by a beverage refrigerator. I think now what my drawers hold and I believe I can separate that stuff in a more orderly fashion among all the spice drawers. The contents will be shoe polish, canning jar covers, wax, tongs, funnels, twist ties, shoelaces, florescent light starters, plastic gloves, extra tabs for shelving support, ant/mice traps, etc. I think Rosie has good ideas for vitamins and tools. Maybe my wooden utensils also.

• 14 years ago

I don't have them, but I imagine:
    pills (one drawer for each family member)
    toothpics, wooden skewers, BBQ lighter
    candles and matches
    twine and scissors

• 14 years ago

I love having small drawers for lids--pyrex lids, lunchbox container lids, and mason jar lids. We also have a couple small drawers in which we keep boxes of tea.

I can also imagine using small drawers for overflow/backup spices, cake decorating stuff, cookie/biscuit cutters, hot pads/mitts, bags of nuts and grains when new---before they get dumped into mason jars (I don't like keeping bagged items on shelves), flat graters and zesters, lesser used things cluttering up the utensil drawer (cherry pitter, extra pie server that is fatter than I like to use, extra garlic press, nutcracker and picks, candy thermometer, turkey baster, pizza cutter, grapefruit spoons....), paper napkins (for lunch boxes), plastic forks and spoons (also for lunch boxes), small paper bags, manuals for small appliances, file boxes of recipes, plastic veggie and bread bags I want to reuse.

I would love to have small drawers for ramekins and custard cups and clean glass jars.

• 14 years ago

I have a small open space between the sink and dishwasher, I decided to leave it an open cabinet with shelves so it could change withe my changing needs. The overall cabinet is 9" wide, but he interior usable space is about 7.5" wide. I have an outlet in the top bay so that I can plug things in on the pennisula and not have to have the outlet on the panels on the outside.

I have 3 baskets in the cubbies, the top for clean towels and clothes, the middle for onions and garlic, and the bottom for potatoes. So for so good with this layout.

• 14 years ago

Thanks so much everyone -- I should have been more clear, I'm going to have these spaces but they aren't drawers, more like compartments. Perfect for wine bottles but we are not big on wine, and there will be 5 by my sink and another 4 or 5 by my pantry that will be great for office-type items as a few of you suggested. From all your ideas I think I may try to find baskets to fit in some of the spaces, but I love the menu idea, dish towels, and even bbq things. Onions/potatoes could work too, as long a I don't put them too far back and forget about them in there! Also I'm thinking maybe foil, plastic wrap, etc would do well there.
    Appreciate all your input, thanks so much!

• 14 years ago

Preferable cool looking things?

Rolling pins?
    Spare hand towels (if you have nice looking ones)?
    Cooking Oils (the expensive ones that come in great bottles)?
    Matching glass jars that are square(like the long spaggetti jars?) could be put in each and hold pastas/rices/beans etc?
    Periodicals like Newspapers or Magazines?

Oh, and don't forget just one of em has to have a weird stuffed animal peering out at you from the dark... just for kicks.

• 14 years ago

There is usually an option to get baskets from the cabinet manufacturer. (or drawers)