Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vizslalover_gw

4in Stone Backsplash-Problem later?

16 years ago

Some of you may remember some of my backsplash drama a month or so ago (can't decide what to do, and now we're probably selling the house next spring :(

Anyway, it turns out we have enough left over soapstone (we DIY'ed it) to do a 4" backsplash. I'm just wondering, if someone (either us if we don't move or a future owner) wants to do a tile backsplash in the future, will it look funny on top of the stone or do people do this all the time?

Since I'm posting on this topic, our leftover soapstone is the same thickness as the counter tops (~1") and we really don't have the means to make it thinner. We set a test piece on the counter and the thickness actually looked ok but I'm just wondering if its normal to have these short backsplashes the same thickness as the counter stone?

Finally, we have a peninsula area with a raised counter. We're thinking we should just cover the whole raised area (approx. 8") with soapstone (we do have enough stone to do this. If we did the 4" high there we're just thinking it would look funny...not to mention it would bisect the outlet there. Thoughts!

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• 16 years ago

I had drama over our 4 inch granite backsplash and tile when I had it finished in Oct. I wasn't crazy about how it seemed a little busy where they met. I ended up putting a trim piece in between and now I'm happy with it. If you don't have alot of movement in your stones, it probably won't matter much, butif I was doing it over, I'd probably make it easy and not have added the 4 inch backsplash. Here's a photo of my finished backsplash.

• 16 years ago

dinobambino - I think you did a fantastic job with your backsplash. Not only do the colors blend between the granite and the tile (tumbled marble or travertine?) but not having to deal with grout near the surface of the counter will make for easier cleaning. What stone and tile did you use?

Guess I'm in the minority for I like the 4" backsplash and even the idea of a narrower 2" backsplash.

• 16 years ago

People tile over the 4" splash all the time--Dino, that trim piece is unusual and extra-nice! It's a busy granite and that's a perfect solution. With something less busy like soapstone, I don't think it would be needed (but would still look good).

• 16 years ago

Dino, thanks for posting that - we were wondering too as we have a 3 inch and I love that rounder piece to transition the granite to the tile.

• 16 years ago

dino-I also think it looks great-thanks for sharing!

So it sounds like I don't need to worry about that aspect...

Anyone have any thoughts about the thickness or peninsula area?

Thanks again!

• 16 years ago

I have soapstone with a 4" high splash. It's as thick as the soapstone itself (also DIY) and I like it a lot. I have no plans to tile over it but the configuration of my kitchen lets me get away with that. I would someday like to tile behind my stove but I can get away without that, too.
    The problem comes in because of the thickness of the splash. Tiles are much thinner so a step would be created if tiles were added over top. I guess it's only a problem if you don't like the way that looks.

• 16 years ago

Thanks katalina! That helps a lot! I was thinking that if we did tile later we could just put up a cement board and tile on that to even up the thickness (but you would have to use end caps on any exposed ends). But I don't know that much about tile so that might be a nutty idea :)

What kind of adhesive did you use to attach the splash? We used silicone caulk on the cabinets but I'm not sure if it would hold ok on a vertical surface?

Thanks again!

• 16 years ago

Hmm. If the thickness is the issue, it doesn't have to be. After all, the soapstone is solid, so the top is pretty too. A step to the tile wouldn't be objectionable.

Are you a good enough DIYer to bevel off the leading edge a bit?

• 16 years ago

Yes, we were planning to bevel the edge a bit :)

I don't know that thickness is a big issue for us personally, we were just trying to make sure we weren't doing anything too weird by using the full thickness stone.

• 16 years ago

I think the full thickness of soapstone would look nice- kinda traditional.
    I have the 4" backsplash of 3cm granite for backsplash and its attached with silicone. Since they are different minerals this may not help much. We will do beadboard and it will just run to the backsplash with a molding to finish off the cut end of the beadboard. No bevel, just an eased edge. I think the "step back" is no problem.
    BTW I love your kitchen. You inspired us to do a DIY soapstone top for a hutch - still not done Sue