Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme5573

Hahnii Silver Marginated - rot

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I bought Sans. Hahnii Silver Marginated Jan 31, and knew there was some damage. I looked at it more closely yesterday, and realized the smaller pup has two leaves that have started to rot.

Should I cut away the two bad leaves? The rot is dry, and there is a leaf touching, but it hasn't spread any farther.

I have the plant under my light stand, and have not watered since I brought it home. It is bone dry, and I guess it will stay that way for now. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

If I can get a leaf trimmed w/out rot, and root it, what does Silver Marginated revert to? Regular Hahnii, or some form of Silver?

Thanks!

Lennie

Not sure I like this Houzz stuff, but since they added the "related forums" at the top, it's a little easier to navigate.

Comments (19)

• 9 years ago

Lennie,

Don't over worry about it. I loose a lot of my older leaves this time of year. I think it is ok. You can cut off the dead leaves but don't cut until it dies. Pulling and poking around can do more damage. Sounds like you got it under control.

Stush

lme5573 thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • 9 years ago

Thanks for your input Stush and kwie2011. Stush, I'm glad to hear it looks under control to you, too. I'm happy to wait to do surgery. Kwie2011, I have a squirt bottle and I didn't think of using it to control where I put the water on my sans. Those reptitherm heaters sound interesting, especially since the hahnii are prone to rot in the cold. I'm in the Midwest, zone 5, and my plant room gets cold at night, lower 60s when it's really cold. Not much I can do for it, but maybe a reptitherm for one or two of the ones I don't want to lose.

Thanks! Good to see we've got some members who made it through the switch to Houzz.

Lennie

• 9 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Lennie, my place is in the high 50s at night this time of year, and low 60s during the day, so I think the heaters will work for you. I set them on foam so the heat would transfer to the plants rather than the table.

I've been thinking of other heat sources since the experiment was such a success. Heat tape for pipes might work for larger pots, incandescent grow bulbs or heat emiters, seed warmers, heat pad, etc. I'm now trying a microwaveable heat disk under my moonshine. I've heard of people microwaving a sock of dry rice as a heat pad, so I might try that too.

It's nice to have learned something I can share!
  • 9 years ago

Come Summer with natural heat, you can water your Sans all you want. I have seen them in small ponds and grow. Sorry, I meant to say stories with pictures. And when we think the soil is dry, Sans think it's ok. Regular soil mix is ok but the fast draining mix is better for over watering. I am going to incorporate a large flat heat pad next year for my Sans. As far as heat tape, the kind I used to use was auto temp controlled to 72 degrees. Too low. I think Sans like 80 to 90 best. The heat tape comes in handy for outside wintering over some simi tropical plants. Tops die but the roots stay alive.

• 9 years ago

Ime5573, leaf cuttings from your Silver Hahnii Marginated will produce Silver Hahnii, without the variegated margin. A pretty plant in it's own right, so it's well worth propagating.

Your leaf damage looks like bacterial or fungi damage to me, and can spread to other leaves if left on the plant. You can probably get away with cutting the damaged part off the leaf if it's a small area. As Stush says, one can sometimes cause damage in the cutting process, but there is risk in leaving these diseased leaves on the plant. I've had some success in treating this disease with a systemic fungicide. I'm certainly no expert, but some say that keeping water off the leaves when watering the plant helps to keep this disease in check.

Interesting stuff on the heat pads. I've never used one but you've all convinced me that I should try one during winter. I'm experiencing right at freezing temps for two nights now here in central Fla, 20 miles north of Orlando. Most of my collection is in a 12 X 24 foot unheated shadehouse with my aroid collection, which is worrisome since most sans don't like temps under 50. Trying to heat it hasn't worked well over the years, heaters rust to nothing in the humidity, pilot lights blow out at 3 in the morning, etc.

Russ, central Florida

• 9 years ago

Thanks, Russ. I lost another leaf to the same problem, and now there's only one left with the fungus. I will cut that off today, rather than let it spread to the rest of the plant.

I would love to propagate one of those leaves, I think the silver hahnii is striking, margined leaves or not.

My sympathies on the cold temps - we're in the deep freeze all this week and next. Even the dog doesn't like to go out.

Lennie

• 9 years ago

Lennie, even though you cut the diseased leaves away, you may still see bad spots develop in the future. If it continues, you might try a systemic fungicide. I've used a concentrate meant for roses but cut the per gallon amount to about a third. If you're concerned about chemicals as some folks are, Safer's probably makes a product that might work.

Spring through summer you should be able to propagate leaves easily. I've been growing and propagating sansevierias for several decades and always fascinated when new plants emerge from a simple leaf cutting. Sansevierias are amazing.

Good luck, and post here again if you still have issues.

Russ, central Florida

• 9 years ago

I have some neem oil - I think that might work "Controls black spot, rust & powdery mildew" It says to mix and spray the plant. I'll give that a try. I don't find many hahnii locally, and never this silver marginated hahnii, I'd hate to lose it, especially since I have the neem oil already.

Thanks for the advice, Russ. I'll keep you posted.

Lennie in Michigan

• 9 years ago

Lennie, let me know how the neem oil works. I've seen it in the past advertised as an insecticide, then lately touted as a fungicide which seems odd to me. If it works for you I'll buy some since it's a 'natural' product. I don't mind using chemicals but prefer something less potent and 'organic' if they work.

Thanks, Russ

• 9 years ago

Living here in frozen Pittsburgh, I lose many plants this time of year. Fungus being the worse cause. Only systemic like imidacloprid found in Bayer for Roses or outside plants works for me. Stuff like cinnamon and other stuff didn't work for me. I used it in fall before bring in for winter. Even the best loose plants. If only we can learn why so we can do better.

I would use it now and don't get any on the leaves. The roots will spread it. Also your roots may as well be in trouble. Try a little sulfur mix at the soil line. Sans like a lower ph and it also inhibits fungus growth.

• 9 years ago

Stush, the concentrate I mentioned above is Bayer's systemic fungicide and insecticide for Roses and outside shrubs etc. I am new to it and out of fear it'd be too strong for non-rose potted plants I'm only adding half the recommended concentrate to a gallon of water. Are you using it full-strength with no damage to sansevierias?

You bet, losing plants on occasion goes with the horticultural territory regardless of experience. I can't count the number of Golden Hahnii's I've lost over the years, they're just too tough to grow for me and I don't even attempt anymore. I think I could grow it if I only had a few plants and I could watch it like the proverbial hawk, but I'm spread too thin with so many.

Thanks for the tip,

Russ, central Fla

• 9 years ago

Russ,

Any friend of Chris is my friend also.

That's the stuff I use. Regular strength about two weeks before bring my plants in. In the soil only and most just runs thru the mix.

You sound like me when it comes to Golden Hahnii. Last year was the first year I got mine to pup out. They are growing great for me now. 'Enterotoxigenic00' here gave me several to try again after loosing mine again. Kept them warmer and fed them sulfur and the Bayer stuff. Following year started to pup. First time for me. Now if I can be so lucky with my Futura 'Asahi'. Some plants just survive for me while some reproduce they selves way too much.

Email me for trades.

PS. starting my photo list as well.

• 9 years ago

My husband found a fungicide for me today - Garden Safe Fungicide3 in a spray bottle. It says it is safe for rosebushes, flowers and houseplants. I sprayed my silver marginated hahnii last week with Neem oil, and this week I sprayed again, only with the Garden Safe Fungicide. It said to shake well, and spray until it runs off. It has a distinct odor, but it didn't last long. The picture shows the only leaf that has a spot on it. It hasn't changed since I sprayed it with Neem Oil, and maybe I can make it to springtime with warmer temps and real sunshine.

Lennie

• 9 years ago

Sounds good Lennie, I'm glad you found some potential solutions to those bad spots. Just out of curiosity, what does the bottle of Garden Safe Fungicide say is the active ingredient? Could be the same neem oil that's in your other spray.

I can't identifiy the close-up you picture here, is this the same Silver Hahnii from your initial pics? If so, that's a remarkable recovery from the rotted mess you had before. I think you're gonna make it to spring and summer.

Stush, a few years ago I bought 6 Golden Hahnii's at one time since they were only $3 each at Walmart. I figured at least one would make it for a few years... don't have a single one right now. That said, I wasn't using a fungicide or insecticide, and now that I'm focusing on using one or both religiously, I think I might be able to grow it. Next one I find, I'll buy and give it one more shot, maybe Bayer's is the answer like it has been for you. I'm slugging it over the entire plant with no ill effects, thinking direct contact with the fungus might have a quicker effect. But again, I'm diluting by half. Think I'll go full-strength on the soil only, thanks for the tip.

I've been really scratching my head about Golden Hahnii since trif. Craigii is the same thing only in a full, trifasciata-sized plant, and I have very little trouble with it. My largest leaf so far is about 8 inches, but it's devilishly slow. Maybe as a group Hahnii's are a bit more sensitive to fungi and such.

Interesting about your Futura Asahi, I'm familiar with the name but not how it looks. It's not in Chahinian's early book The Trifasciata Varieties, so it's a newer one. ----- Aha, I took the time to check Google and found your picture posted here back around June last year. I used to have Morgenstern's Futura Aurea but lost it many years ago. It appears to me that Golden Hahnii, Futura Aurea, and Craigii are the same variegates within each size-class of sansevieria, short, mid-range and tall. I think Juan Chahinian has talked about this phenomenon before, at some point every form of variegation will appear in every size-class of sansevieria. Interesting stuff!! My email is chammer@cfl.rr.com or bluesea14808@yahoo.com.

Rainy here today and warmer, yesterday was brisk and windy in the 60s but I ain't complaining. By mid-March I've usually got clear sailing til next winter.

Best, Russ

• 9 years ago

Russ, Futura 'Asahi' is the same as 'Morgenstern's Futura Aurea' and maybe also 'Golden Street'. Which I was told grew larger. I had a Golden Street from Chris but sadly I lost it. It had a fungus I just could not shake. Maybe Chris will have more in the future. (Unless it's the same plant as above).

Have you ever seen a Hahnii with an all yellow leaf bordered by a dark green edge? I think it's called 'Gold'. I think Roberto2 may have it.

Stush

• 9 years ago

Stush, I just asked elsewhere if Asahi had another name, thanks. I've got to write all this down regarding 2 and 3 names on the same sans. I once had a Morgenstern's, perhaps from Alice Waidhofer in all those sans she sent in 1998. Lasted for quite awhile as I remember, but probably watered it one time at the wrong time.

Have you determined a good reliable place to order sans? I keep checking Lowe's, Home Depot and Walmart for rarities, once in a great while I strike 'gold'.

Interesting question about the all yellow Hahnii. I looked it up in Chahinian's old trifasciata book and it's called Hahnii Solid Gold. Pic shows it with a thin green edge and the rest a whitish-gold interior. Man this is tough to grow, I had a Golden Hahnii that produced a couple of offsets of this, but they quickly melted to nothing. If it didn't have the green edge it would almost be an albino. Juan's description says '' ... due to it's excessive lack of chlorophyll, it is even more susceptible to low temperatures and overwatering (than Golden Hahnii).''

Unbelievably, I just saw an ad for a used copy of Juan's The Sans Trifasciata Varieties for $150. No idea it commands that kind of price these days. I don't remember what I paid years ago, maybe $35 or less. It's actually way out of date given the number of new trif cultivars found in the last 30 years since it's publication.

Russ

• 9 years ago

Russ,

I am felling sad due to losing some more hahnii which I though was in my past. I guess it still happens. Gee, almost time to start to bring them back outside. I guess I needed to be humbled. Was feeling too proud. Both pots was full with pups yet.

Almost lost a lot of plants this year, but finding it early and cleaning and repotted back up I saved most. Still, every year I add some to the list.

I purchased my Copy of The Sans Trifasciata Varieties which listed for $19.95 for $40 on Amazon.com. Seeing this for many times more. It is in like new condition. I think I read the ink off the pages.

Stush

• 9 years ago

Same here Stush, I was outside today looking for Black Sports and am shocked that I have so few. I found one pot with a label and no plant, it got left outside the shadehouse this winter by mistake. I have one pot with a small plant and label, plus another small pot and that's it. Wondering what happened to the others.

Which Hahnii's did you lose?

Russ

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County