Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

My sans has very little roots!

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

One of my favorite sans is wobbly in the pot! So I decided to repot it and see the roots. I was disappointed to find not many roots. Why? Now you may be inclined to say it's because of overwatering, but I'm generally an under waterer!

How can I improve this plant?

I have put some tall sticks in the pot to help secure the plant from falling over.

Repotted into a clay pot

Comments (11)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    3 months ago

No comment from anyone?

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 months ago

I wish I could help..mine looks the same..🙁

I‘ve wondered if mine is lack of light?..

I put mine outside in the summer but it’s inside 7 months..

I don’t overwater either..

hope someone can help us..

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • socks
    3 months ago

These generally grow well in low light, but you might try moving it to brighter light. I like the pot size and that it is terracotta. Was it in an oversized pot before? The potting mix looks dark like its quite damp. Be very cautious about watering. If unsure about when to water, stick a skewer, pencil or a toothpick in for a few minutes to see if it is damp when removed. With succulents, you can usually wait a few days or much longer to water unless they are shriveling. It is still a nice looking plant.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked socks
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Actually, now that I am thinking more about it, I would say an improved media would make the biggest difference in this plant's health.

• Joy W
    2 months ago

It looks to me like it was potted too high in the soil, like the pot is too short and that it was underwatered recently. The leaves look fine, like it had been getting enough water. They are glossy and thick. Actually, there is one in the photo that looks kinda skinny. When they dont get enough water over a period of time, the leaves get ridges in them, kinda like bones under skin. When the root is too dry for too long, they can look like that because the fine ones break off.

Bury the plant more in the soil, it wont rot or hurt it but it will stabilize it and it will give it more area for roots to grow, and water it a tad more often. It might also appreciate new fluffy soil as well. This is a random internet grabbed photo. Do you see the length of white on this plant? It has that from soil covering it and it didnt get sun/bulb light. The yellow color on the root is what you want. These are active, well watered roots (obviously, it has new rhizomes coming up). Brown roots are old roots.

So yours is ok, it just needs a bit more soil and water. It will bounce back. You could even break off or cut off the bottom two leaves to give it more places for roots to grow. Then cut the bottom off those leaves so that they are square and replant them. They will grow roots also. Keep the new soil moderately moist, not wet, not bone dry. Like an 8 oz /1 cup drink every Saturday?

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Joy W
  • Joy W
    2 months ago

Here’s another internet grab that shows a cut leaf with new root. Dont water log the soil and this will work every time. You could even cut off all the leaves and reroot them if you wanted to, that would work too. They just need moderate soil moisture.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 months ago

newhostalady..I see a stem coming up!..I need warm weather!..it’s so messy to work inside..if it was warm I’d go out and work on my pots..about 90 or 100 days before my pots can go out 🙁..

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Joy: I can see the "white" where the my plant leaves were in the soil. You are saying to plant the sans even deeper into the soil? I was thinking that the "white" meant the plant was too deep in the soil?

I love those roots on the picture you provided! I can also see from the picture that the sans was planted pretty deeply.

More water? I think my sans dry out too much. I will try to water more often and not let the sans stay dry so long. Water almost every week? Wow, I water about once a month! Since I have planted this sans in a clay pot, I know it will need watering sooner.

Regarding propagating, the picture you attached shows mostly whole leaves. What's the difference between propagating using whole leaves as opposed to cut leaf sections?

Nicholsworth, so exciting to see a new stem growing! Means you are doing something right!

• Joy W
    2 months ago

Years ago when I frist had my sanseveria it ended up looking the same way. I did the same thing to mine. I was in the Army and my focus was not on this plant and I knew nothing about plants except that ‘you water them sometimes’. I had it for like six years before it fell over. I only suggest what I did because that is what I did to save my plant. I also saw that after a few years in the same soil, the soil changed. It was heavy, large pieces. I have since learned that the plants absorb certain components of the soil as it breaks down and new soil replaces it. Even cactus absorb the minerals as granite decomposes in the pot.

The white just means ‘has had no light‘ and its just something notable to show the plants depth. Planting deeper just means that the plant has structure below the soil to hold it up, like a phone pole in the dirt and it also gives the plant more opportunity to root since more surface area is touching soil.

Long leaves are prettier than a cut top leaves. Propagating works either way, with a 3” piece or a 12” piece. They do need a few inches to get going. My assumption is that it needs a certain amount of moisture from stored cells in order to make roots and continue growing. The water once a week comment was for the propagation and to help make new roots. After that, you have to guage your plant in its environment to see when its dry. They can live dry but dont love it. They prefer moderate watering. Not soaking, not bone dry.

I’ll post a pic of my sans, Spike, whom is 25 years old, divided like 4 or 5 times and ignored every so often (one of the reasons that we love thees plants). I’ve taken cuttings from him to teach my Girl Scouts about propagation and to give my daughters pots for their rooms. You can see the leaves that were cut but you cant see the ones that were cuttings because they have pretty tops. My 17 year old currently has one falling over. I remind her to water them, she just says I know, I know. I go in there to make sure her snake (and my pothos) has water in his vivarium.

Now that I’m looking at him I see curling leaves, a sign of low water for too long.

Original Author
    2 months ago

I never thought to plant deeper. What I learned from some perennials grown outside, was that planting them deeper meant they would decline in growth.

If you propagate by cutting a leaf into sections, wouldn't that possibly give you considerably more plantlets than just putting one leaf into water?

Your plant is 25 years old? That's wonderful!

Nice that you have been teaching your Girl Scouts about propagation.