Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abick2

essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?

9 years ago

I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our new home, but there are so many choices. please help me narrow it down. The sales person recommends Electrolux. I currently have a Samsung and have been 100% happy with it. It has the handwash and wool cycles in addition to steam and many more cycles. Is the delicate cycle the same as handwash? Please advise. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• 9 years ago

WM4270HWA what about this LG model?

• 9 years ago

1) Water heating. There's no other way to have a hot wash in a front loader. In-machine water hearing also helps prevent mold.

2) "Turbo wash"- water pumping to wet clothes faster and shorten cycle time.

Most features are mostly marketing.

If budget is important, buy just enough capacity. Extra capacity is expensive, especially in dryers.

We don't have adequate information to know the more reliable brands. Modern front loaders are not designed to have a long life. It's a low margin business that sells features over quality.

• 9 years ago

Can I ask why the salesperson is recommending Electrolux, and what they compared Electrolux to? Where are you shopping for your washer? If you are happy with your Samsung washer, why not take it with you? Both Samsung and LG have made exponentially large strides in their products in just the last five years.

• 9 years ago

He is against getting anything from overseas. I think the model I mentioned above should be good.

• 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Too bad about your salesperson as just about every product has a mix of imported parts from somewhere in the world. I looked at the reviews regarding the model you mention and they are good. I recently moved my mother into a retirement community and we remodeled her kitchen with both LG and Samsung appliances purchased from large home improvement stores. The reviews we read at the home improvement stores websites were pretty much spot-on after the appliances were installed and my mother had used them for a while.

What people might not realize is that both LG and Samsung understand fast-tracking production and innovation; they have both placed emphasis on intellectual capital, let alone production processes, and this is really starting to show in their products.

My wife and I own Miele, but upon their replacement, we will both review the market regarding what is current, and make our decision thereafter. I'm impressed with both Samsung and LG these days, so we will look at them too.

• 9 years ago

Whichever brand you choose you should strongly consider getting the extended warranty. Trust me, I repair these machines for a living. If you insist on not buying one don't buy a GE. The cost of their parts is outrageous!

• 9 years ago

Love the Electrolux control interface on there 70 series I believe. Has a large selection of specialty cycles, although seldom used its intuitive. I believe it also lets you store 3 custom programs for three different users. Another feature others should take note of. I looked at this machine prior to purchasing the Kenmore. Unfortunately it had to be ordered and the wait was far too long. 60 series almost does the same thing, but not quite as nice.

• 9 years ago

My must haves are a sanitize cycle that actually gets hot enough, extra rinse options, Spin speed above 1200 to cut drying time, a heavy duty cycle. Wash time isn't a huge factor for me as laundry is done daily.