Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garen59

Garen's Garden 2015

8 years ago

I'll start with a few for now and will be adding more.

The guardians, Dingo and Piper, at their usual look out location.

Picea abies 'Summer Daze' - One of Bob Fincham's many wonderful crosses between 'Acrocona' and 'Gold Drift'.

New buds have set at the tips of some of the cones or semi cone/branch tip thing-a-majigs. Quite interesting. I'm hoping that the leader cone will poke out a new bud as well.

Hostas in full sun. What! My Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon' use to provide afternoon shade for the blue ones but it kicked the bucket last summer from bark beetle. The gold-ish ones, 'Sum and Substance' and 'Guacamole' do just fine for me in full sun. here's hoping the blue ones can handle it. So far so good.

Comments (22)

• 8 years ago

Wonder-full!

Questions

The green pine bristling with stiff candles in pic one is?

The blue flowered plant with the doggies is?

The green pine front center of second to last pic is?

• 8 years ago

Pinus thunbergii 'Thunderhead' - Looks it's best with newly formed white candles or after the needles have spread to form a nice dark green billowing cloud. The dead interior needles need to be cleaned out every once in while.

Veronica spicata 'Glory' aka Royal Candles - Keeps blooming from spring to late summer.

Just your ubiquitous Pinus mugo 'Pumilio' seedling. I chose it out of a huge selection of seedlings at lowe's 5 years ago. They are usually all grown from seed and will vary in color and density.

• 8 years ago

beautiful yard

• 8 years ago

Picea pungens 'St. Mary's Broom' with Sedum spurium 'Voodoo'

Pinus parviflora 'Catherine Elizabeth'

Ginkgo biloba 'Mariken' - I think I may try to prune this one like a bonsai as it ages.

Acer shirasawanum 'Junihitoe' - Fantastic spherical leaves

Pinus mugo 'Sherwood Compact' - One of the best mugos

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' - Outstanding gold with a silvery blue underside.

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Chirimen' - A very strange one that has a face only a conifer collector would love.

Acer palmatum 'Japanese Princess' - A very slow growing seedling from 'Mikawa Yatsabusa' that has the same awesome form but the new leaves are a nice pinkish red. I've been trying to find this one for 3 years and Sam from EastforkNursery.com was so kind to sell me one of her only two last year.

Pinus parviflora 'Aoi' - Aoi means blue in Japanese.

• 8 years ago

Nice to drop on by and still see some garden shots!

Those guardians are perfect. Can't live without em.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

• 8 years ago

Love the herbaceous and succulents and deciduous with your conifers. A true garden! I like your hut too.

Dax

• 8 years ago

Thanks guys!

Will, if you get some time you'll have to post a picture or five. You've got some cool stuff a growin.

Picea abies 'Pendula'

Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls'

Cupressus nootkatensis 'Green Arrow'

Ginkgo biloba 'Ross Moore' - Strongly weeping compared to the other semi weeping Ginkgo cultivars like 'Pendula'.

From left to right in the foreground, Picea pungens 'The Blues', Taxus cuspidata 'Nana Aurescens', Sciadopitys verticillata 'Joe Kozey'

Juniperus squamata 'Dream Joy' - Nice blue and creamy gold effect. I'm not sure if there is a difference between this plant and 'Holger'. Perhaps they are the same.

Dingo snuggling up to Picea abies 'Little Gem'

Pinus mugo 'Jakobsen'

Little Lu Lu. She likes to hang out on my shoulder.

• 8 years ago

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Fernspray Gold', three Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan', and Acer palmatum 'Shishigashira'

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' - I love it's summer color and in winter it turns bright, punch you in the face, yellow.

Tsuga canadensis 'Pendula', Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode', Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana 'Wissel's Saguaro', Pinus parviflora 'Kinpo', Pinus leucodermis 'Schmidtii', and an unfinished pond project.

Picea orientalis 'Skylands' and Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace'

Pinus mugo 'Short needle'

Pinus mugo 'Ophir' - Dusted with a pale soft gold in the summer that intensifies in the winter

Thuja occidentalis 'Concabe' aka Fire Chief™ - This color is simply awesome

Acer sieboldianum 'Seki-no-kegon'

Picea abies 'Gold Dust'

• 8 years ago

Juniperus communis 'Horstmann'

Thuja occidentalis 'Brobeck's Tower'

Cedrus atlantica 'Sapphire Nymph'

Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost' - Needs to come with sunglasses

Prunus 'Bonfire'

Picea bicolor 'Prostrata'

Ginkgo biloba 'Green Pagoda'

Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon'

• 8 years ago

Do you keep the dogs out when Lu Lu is wandering around? I've many times though about getting some birds but I have a cat and dog that have complete freedom with a doggy door.

Dax

• 8 years ago

Great collection and nice setting. Thanks for sharing.

Garen Rees thanked zephyrgal pacific nw
  • 8 years ago

Thank you! Thank you!

Lu lu is a tiny silver sebright chicken.

Yeah, the chickens and the dogs hang out together. They even eat snacks together and drink from the same water bowls at the same time. I integrated them slowly until the chickens simply became fixtures in the yard and part of the pack. For a long time the dogs would only see the chickens through the chicken run fence. Once the dogs no longer showed interest in the chickens I brought them out together except the dogs were on a leash. The key is to get the dogs completely uninterested in the chickens. If the dog was interested in the chickens then I would walk the dog away until they were no longer alert on them. Then bring them closer only if they weren't interested until I could walk them right with the chickens. Every time the dog would so much as raise an ear or look at the chickens I would tell them no. I would hold the chickens and interact with them in front of the dogs to let them know that the chickens are part of the pack. I would even bring our rooster, Cluck Norris, into the house on a regular basis to hang out with us. I think that really helped. Norris would even play hide n seek with us lol. I have wood and tile floors so picking up a chicken poop every once in a while is no prob. They even make chicken diapers.

There is nothing like the taste of happy chicken eggs for breakfast every morning. Not to mention using the eggs to make fresh homemade mayonnaise made with coconut/MCT oil. I can't even eat non free range, sad chicken eggs from the store anymore. There is no comparison. It's like tasting a home grown heirloom tomato compared to the tasteless store bought tomatoes.

These little friends have so much personality and beauty to offer if you simply get to know them and spend time with them. If you get a rooster you must hand raise it from a chick, take it for walks everyday like a dog to bond, and you'll be best buds. Otherwise you'll have a mean rooster that just wants to beat the crap out of you.

Norris, Wonton, and the wife

• 8 years ago

So cool man. Yep, every step in the integration process is right on the $.

Thanks,

Dax

Garen Rees thanked gardener365
  • 8 years ago

Norris, Wonton, and the wife

==>>. which ones the wife .. lol ..

superb garden... thx for taking to time to give us the tour ...

and on a hill no less ... it would make one interesting bocci run ... lol .. i love playing on hills ... much more to it.. than those flat earthers play ...

thx again

ken

Garen Rees thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 8 years ago

Look what I've been missing,,lost my wifi,,,only 10 min. at work to view.

Garen , Great stuff

ron

Garen Rees thanked plantkiller_il_5
  • 8 years ago

Thanks everyone and most of all thank you for all of your posts over the years and this year.

Ron, I'll have to move into that house next door just so you can share my wifi. =)

Ken, hillside bocci sounds like fun. If your ever in southern Indiana stop by for Garen's hillside bocci run but watch out for those smelly dog land mines. Should make for quite an interesting game.

• 8 years ago

OK , it's 1.2 acres,,,wooded creek cutting thru back 1/3

how do you pronounce Aoi ?

land mines,,ha,,,doesn't tractor take care of that ?

ron

• 8 years ago

Wooded creek, I'm sold. I always have to live right next to running water for some reason.

Aoi is pronounced ah-oh-ee

Yeah tractor turns the land mines into grass fertilizer.

• 8 years ago

ahh-wee. I think is correct.

Dax

• 8 years ago

thanks dax ,,,,garen , you'll have to get rid of things like cedarus alantica

ron

xfinity wifi,,,,,1 hour

• 8 years ago

Wow, Im just getting caught up! Youve got it all going on Garen and put together a really nice thread. Everything looks great! Way enjoyable!

Btw...them some sharp chickens but id probably pass on the diapers... ; )

Al

Garen Rees thanked alley_cat_gw_7b