Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abqconiglio

Is this 'The Reeve'? Is this 'The Pilgrim'?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

The old Austin bed at the rose garden has a few plants that have lost their labels. For curiosity's sake, might you happen to know what these are or what they might be?

I'm a bit enamored by the first one, although I may never grow it, since it mildews pretty badly by the end of summer, and the flowers ball in the rain. Still, it has better repeat than even the modern Austins (photos from May, but right now, this one is the only one that has a flower on it, in either the old Austin bed or the new one), and it has a terrific fragrance. In this bed is 'Windrush', 'English Garden', 'Claire Rose' , 'Pat Austin', 'Charles Austin', and the original 'William Shakespeare' so I assume it is from the same era.

There is a label nearby but not under the plant that says 'The Reeve' although is may be from a plant that is long gone.

Flowers nod. Almost looks like 'Evelyn' or 'Abraham Darby' or 'Tamora' in this photo, but the flowers never open as orange as those tend to do in this climate.

Looser form in dry weather. Outer petals fade pale blush, almost white. I first thought it might be 'St. Cecilia', but probably not. ('The Squire' to the left and behind that is 'Windrush')

After a rain, the flowers have this globular form. ('The Squire' in front and purple in the far corner is 'Prospero').

Here's another one with no label, also in the same bed. Could it be 'The Pilgrim'?

It's the plant in the front in the photo below. I think the yellow behind it is 'Charles Austin' and behind that is 'Claire Rose'.

What do you think?

Comments (14)

• 8 years ago

First of all, the rose you think might be The Pilgrim, is it a shrub or a climber? There is no doubt that my The Pilgrim is a climber, but your picture makes it look a bit shrubbier than I would expect.

Here is a picture of my The Pllgrim which is in sun most of the day:

The other major difference I see between my The Pilgrim and yours is that mine is the world's stingiest bloomer. Yours looks to be a very floriferous bloomer.

I can't really say whether your rose is The Pilgrim, but at least this gives you a few more points of comparison to consider.

You inherited some really nice roses there.

Kate

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked dublinbay z6 (KS)
  • 8 years ago

stillanntn6b: I'll have to recheck the label the next time I'm there. I thought it was Charles Austin, but you may be right in that it is Graham Thomas. I'm not generally fond of yellows, so I didn't pay much attention.

dublinbay: it shows no signs of wanting to be climber, but is rather bushy. I haven't seen it rebloom in the last couple of years I've been watching it. Just the spring flush. Maybe it is Charlotte?

• 8 years ago

The apricot rose in the first picture does not look like The Reeve to me at all. My guess would be either Evelyn, or Abraham Darby. Abraham Darby, though would normally be a much larger plant, usually a climber where it does not get winter die back. Though mine looks much like your image because it does die back and grow as a smaller shrub here.

The Reeve's, flowers (above) are very chalice shaped, especially to begin. Colour is deep pink when first opening and mid pink as above after a day or two. Habit is upright and then very arching on long supple canes.

This is Evelyn, a mature bloom open a couple of days in dry weather. Evelyn grows to 4 or 5 feet where there is no winter die back. The first shrub is definitely not St. Cecelia either IMHO.

The second yellow rose is similar to the Pilgrim, but not quite the same in flower form, or colour and definitely not in habit. My guess on that one would be either Alux Symphony, or Charlotte is also a good possibility. The plant habit looks more like Symphony to me. Charlotte is generally more upright, HT like, and the blooms are looser with fewer petals and more chalice shaped. Symphony is more arching in habit with very dense intricate petals, much like The Pilgrim, but lower and shrubby, only grows to three or four feet.

This is an image of Symphony, an early Austin, 1986 I think and now very rare in commerce. Much shrubbier and lower growing in habit than The Pilgrim. The only place I know for sure you can still get it in North America is Heirloom Roses, and there rarely. Said to be an excellent rose in parts of California, Oregon and Washington. I do not understand why this rose was never more widely grown, it has a gorgeous bloom form and colour and is by most reports of people who grow it a lovely rose. Alux Symhony @ Help Me Find Roses

Cheers, Rick

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
  • 8 years ago

Thanks for your opinion, Rick! If that's what The Reeve looks like, this one definitely is not it. Evelyn is a possibility, but it looks different from the Evelyn in the other Austin bed that is labelled, and smells different. This one did have a nice fragrance, but not like peaches which is what Evelyn smells like to me. Then again, cultural differences can make all kinds of things different, and this is an old planting bed, that needs mulch, whereas the other one was just planted. Symphony sure could be the yellow one. I don't generally like yellow, but this one is so soft and creamy and more golden then screaming yellow. Too bad there isn't much fragrance on it. Whatever it is, it's a lovely thing, and I hope someone is preserving it in another garden somewhere!

My newly planted Evelyn looked like this when the flower first opened - more orange and not cupped at all. But it is the right time period for when those roses were planted. Thanks for your thoughts!

• 8 years ago

I also thought of Symphony when I saw the yellow rose and am wondering if the 1st rose is Emanuel, as it is another fairly compact rose. Sorry, have no photos of mine... They are asleep at present:-)

Melodye

• 8 years ago

The first one looks like Abe Darby.

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
  • 8 years ago

I hadn't thought of Emanuel ozmelodye, but that is also a good possibility. One of the superceded roses, released in 1985.

Hoov, I thought Abe Darby as my first guess based on the bloom form and colour, but the habit and size don't look right to me for a rose grown in a warmer zone. Doesn't AD want to grow tall and climb where you are?

• 8 years ago

How about Cressida?

• 8 years ago

I doubt very much that it is Cressida. Bloom form is wrong and so is plant habit.

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
  • 8 years ago

For what it's worth, my Abe Darby is 5 years old and just now condescending to grow taller than knee height in zone 5. Obviously zone 7 would be bigger, but the picture is how I imagine my AD would look if it didn't lose all its canes every winter, and weren't such an unexpected wimp. AD was my impression of the first rose as well.
    Rick mentioned Charlotte as a possibility and mine stays quite short (no more than 3' high) and has a notably cupped shape that seems to match the photo. Bear in mind though, that I'm particularly poor at rose ID.

Charlotte in cool weather

Cynthia

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 8 years ago

I checked the labels again...the yellow in the back of the photo (last photo in the original posting) is labelled as Golden Celebration. No label on the pale yellow in the front or the pink behind it.

• 8 years ago

The pale yellow and white one (the pilgrim?) looks a lot like the Mary Webb that I used to grow. Let me see if I can find a picture of it. Sorry for the bugs on the flowers. Also, this rose opens a pale yellow in the center but in my hot sun immediately fades to white. Someplace that is not the temperature of the surface of the sun, it may stay pale yellow. I tried very hard to capture a picture of it when the center was a pale yellow but was always at work, etc., and it had turned white by the time I got to it.

• 8 years ago

Latest flower looks like Abraham Darby. Also smells like Abe, mildews like Abe, and wilts in the sun like Abe. I'll assume that it is Abe. Still not certain about the soft yellow one.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012