Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_maibach

Exhust Hood for Sloped Wall behind Range - HELP!

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Kitchen · More Info

We are purchasing a rustic cabin that needs a kitchen facelift. We'll be replacing the gas range and also want to install an exhaust system for the new range (not one there now). The problem is that the cabin is an A-frame and the exterior wall/ceiling behind the range is sloped toward the interior (the sloping begins right about where the 4" backsplash ends). We can run the exhaust right out the wall/ceiling, but I do not know what kind of hood to get. A traditional hood will protrude too much from the wall/ceiling. I have thought about mounting a slim insert flush with the wall/ceiling or perhaps at a slight angle from the wall/ceiling and then building a shallow decorative frame around it, but am not sure that will work either. Please see picture above. Any ideas would be most greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)

• 8 years ago

Perhaps an Island hood could be mounted so the back side of the chimney is just at the ceiling/wall intersection. If it were a shallow enough hood, it may work, but I would do some careful measuring and hood research before buying.

A custom sheet metal shop is another option, as is a wood hood with an insert.

Kmai thanked cookncarpenter
  • 8 years ago

The Elica is the first thing that came to mind. It is expensive but it gives you a place to start. I think Zephyr makes a similar hood. You may want to reach out to hood manufacturer like Modernaire and Prestige. They may have suggestions about what could be done. It may get a little pricey though. Although not required for your space, I would do an external blower so that the shape of the hood can be anything someone can come up with. The blowers won't be an impediment.

Good luck!

Kmai thanked homepro01
  • 8 years ago

I have been in an A-frame cabin with the window like that and they ran out countertop into a U shape and put the stove into the peninsula section with an island hood over it. What you show is a fire waiting to happen I don't recommend that configuration. The peninsula was really great because they put it so that all of the interior space could be reached from either side, there were no worthless corners.

Kmai thanked practigal
  • 8 years ago

Something like this Ikea built in exhaust with a custom cabinet for that sloped ceiling? NO idea how that metric exhaust translates into cfm's

Ikea built in hood

• 8 years ago

You need to move that range, or build a dormer with the proper clearance, as Sophie already suggested.

• 8 years ago

Very cute! And yeah..maybe a little bit more than just a face lift is in order. I wouldn't put in a hood without dealing with the clearance first. Do you have electric capability for induction? I think it would suit the current setup better than FIRE.

Do you plan to redo the cabinets? Counters? I'd look into at least doing a stove bumpout. If you pull it away from the wall 8" (just faking it here without a scale floor plan) you might be able to get a less scary clearance and put in a hood. Leave cabs where they are and maybe have the counter stick out little wings to flank the range, 4" wide or maybe bigger or angled--depends how hard you'd want it to be to get into your drawers. That would be just for looks.

But maybe it's tight already and the table needs to go there.

• 8 years ago

Thinking we'll move range to peninsula, although no ability to have an overhead exhaust there. Will have to make do with a downdraft, I think. A bump out too expensive at this point.

• 8 years ago

I bet you could still do a hood--looks like there are ceiling beams? You could route a duct through a faux beam. Downdraft isn't terrible though...

• 8 years ago

If that is propane and not ng I'd personally be a bit nervous not to have really good ventilation. If you put it on the peninsula close to the corner you could probably hang an island hood from the beams and vent it out the A-frame wall at a reasonable height. Do you have a photo of the peninsula?