Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Another beauty/hair thread

8 years ago

I am not sure what is going on with my hair. It is excessively dry and fragile and although I used to be a huge oil pit, I am way less so. I went through a period of breakage and some falling out last summer/fall but that seems to have resolved. I do color my hair in a salon every 5 weeks but stopped with highlights. My hair is straight and fairly fine.

I wash my hair generally every other day but if it's the weekend and I'm not going anywhere I try to hold off another day.

I am trying not to use heat-related styling. My stylist recommended getting a new flat iron because the pads wear out. I should probably buy a new blowdryer, too.

I do have hypothyroid and take Synthroid. My last recheck was a little over a year ago. I take Vitamin D and Biotin supplements.

Menopause: I am menopausal, confirmed by GYN last summer. I stopped using birth control pills about a year and a half ago.

So, course of action to take? Probably see primary care doc first for thyroid recheck. I am on spring break next week and could probably get an appointment. Then what? GYN, trying other hair products? Dermatologist? Endo?

I am 52, will be 53 in June.

Comments (33)

• 8 years ago

gssciencechick, sorry you are going through this with your hair. I would be in a state if mine were breaking off. I can't address if your hypothyroid or meds would have any effect.

I'm 71 tomorrow and very fortunate to still have healthy thick hair. The oiliness abated some years ago and I've finally adjusted to washing every other day rather than every day. I could probably eke out an extra day but I really don't like wearing the smell of unfresh hair.

I don't color my hair and do minimal blow drying. No irons of any sort. If I were losing my hair, e.g., it were breaking off, I'd cease all that right away. It's gotta take a real toll on fragile hair.

Several years ago I was using Pantene shampoo. One day I noticed a clump of hair at my shower drain, nothing like what would normally accumulate and I don't let hair accumulate in my drain anyway. Freaked me out. I immediately went online and googled Pantene and hair loss. There were enough anecdotal posts for me. I threw it out and will not have a Pantene product in my house. There was never a clump of hair again. I think we need to pay attention to every little thing we do to our hair.

Good luck getting to the root (har har) of your hair problems.

gsciencechick thanked Bunny
  • 8 years ago

Thyroid was the first thing I thought of. Good idea to get it rechecked.

gsciencechick thanked akl_vdb
  • 8 years ago

I certainly can't address any thyroid issues either, so it's good you're taking action to get yours re-checked. Like Linelle said, I'd first eliminate the flat iron and then look at your shampoo and see if it contains sulfates. Most brands do (Pantene, even Pureology which didn't at one time). There are some really bad things some shampoos can do to your hair. Mine also used to be more oily than it is now (I'm 67) but because I run a lot I wash mine every day. I also take vitamin D, Fish Oil (Nordic Naturals or similar high in Omega 3's), and B12.

In another thread about fine hair I talked about trying out a lot of different shampoos in an attempt to find a volumizing shampoo. I finally gave up and went back to Aveda Shampure. It's never let me down. Aveda also makes a Pure Abundance product, but I'd probably start with something really mild for now.

• 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I use L'Oreal sulfate-free volumizing shampoo and conditioners for color-treated hair. I've used these L'Oreal for a few years. In the past I've used the Redken color-treated in the red bottle.

• 8 years ago

Well, dang, it sounds like the shampoo isn't the cause, but you still might go online and see if anyone else has posted reviews. Especially if this has just started. I hate it for you. Pretty scary stuff you're going through I'm sure and frustrating when you can't determine cause.

• 8 years ago

What do sulfates do to your hair that's bad? I had to give up all toothpaste with sodium laurel sulfate because it made the lining of my mouth peel.

• 8 years ago

I was able to get an appointment with my primary care doctor for Monday late afternoon. So, we'll see and take it from there.

• 8 years ago

Sodium laurel sulfate is used to make shampoo bubbles. It can cause skin irritations and also can strip color from your hair, especially if you color-treat it. In my case that is what I started noticing, and the fact that my hair started looking more straw-like, especially on the ends. The ingredient is also used in toothpastes, mouthwash, cleaning products, etc. Sorry you had a bad reaction.

I am glad you were able to get an appointment so quickly, gscience. Here's hoping you get to the bottom of this quickly.

• 8 years ago

If it's not health related, it really could be a product that you are using and may even be something you think is a good thing. In my case, my hair became straw like and I just couldn't understand what was up. I decided to stop using this spray in thermal conditioner/detangler that I thought was a good thing, turns out that is what was drying my hair out so bad. It was made by Dove, I think it has since been discontinued. It did an excellent job of detangling my hair though. :(

• 8 years ago

I went through a very bad hair period. My hair is also fine. It was my mid-life hair crisis. I can't remember if it was before or after my mid-life makeup crisis. Both periods ended up with buying & trying many different hair & makeup products.

Sometime, during that period of my life, my gyne doc offered hormone replacement therapy. I can't remember why, but I believe I was having hot flashes & mood swings. HRT is not not bad for everyone. I trust my gyne doc - she is a cancer survivor & I know she wouldn't prescribe something that would put me at risk. She is also a friend & knows that I won't sue her.

After I started hormone replacement therapy - voila- both my hair & skin were back to normal. I felt kind of stupid for not realizing that the changes were due to hormonal changes. Hypothroidism is also something that can also affect your hair, so definitely it is worth addressing. If it is not your thyroid, you could ask if you are a candidate for HRC.

I tried many products & like Living Proof.

• 8 years ago

What I did was, I thought back to before my hair became straw like and started to use the exact products that I used to use and voila, amazingly, my old hair is back. Hair products have changed over the years, and a lot of them, not for the better! My hair routine was nothing fancy and that's where my problems started, I changed it up. Now I'm back to using Equate's head and shoulder shampoo and Pantene's classic conditioner. That's what I had used years ago and my hair is just fine again.

• 8 years ago

Try Keracolor shampoo. It's a moisturizing sulfate free shampoo that isn't heavy. I don't use creme rinse products due to my hair being fine. Much lighter than Wen and costs much less. I buy it at a professional beauty supply stores. Maybe Ulta has it.

• 8 years ago

With the L'Oreal sulfate-free shampoo I have seen some reviews of people complaining of dryness and hair loss. I have been using it too, and am considering switching to a different sulfate free shampoo. For dryness I do simple oil treatments on my hair a couple times a month and that has really helped, some people use coconut oil, but I like olive or maracuja oil. The oil really helps to reduce my split ends, get rid of dryness, and makes my hair feel amazing. Using a heat protecting spray can help when you want to use a blow dryer or straightener, I really like the it's a ten brand conditioning spray in lite. I only need a small amount and it really helps to volumize and protect my hair.

• 8 years ago

Glad you are getting your thyroid levels checked... as you know, it is certainly a possibility it if your levels are off could be affecting other things as well. I especially notice changes in my skin and nails.. never had hair breakage but it did get dull and it didnt take and hold color as well.

I think the flat iron could also be a culprit. Also, check the temp on your dryer. I had to replace my 25 yo (!) prof dryer when I realized it was overheating and blowing very hot air.

• 8 years ago

It's more than likely that you're going through menopause, read below. I owned a salon for years and saw that happen to many many women. You may want to consider having your estrogen levels checked. You may need a supplement. hair loss

• 8 years ago

I am definitely menopausal. I had used BCP up until about a year and a half ago. I would certainly consider HR if it can help my hair look better.

Maybe I need to switch back to the Redken shampoo.

• 8 years ago

Have your Vitamin D levels checked, too.

Personally, I would never take HR no matter what kind of menopause symptoms I was having... but most especially, never just to make my hair look better.

The PREgnant MAre URINe comes at a very heavy cost to the horses who are brutalized and shackled with catheters attached at all times, kept pregnant and their separated from their offspring who are then sold for slaughter.

Nasty, sordid business. PREMARIN Horse Farms....

• 8 years ago

Hormonal could be a reason also, affecting skin and hair. As others posted, harsh products, excessive washing. A wholesome diet goes a long ways towards helping

• 8 years ago

Keep us posted. I honestly don't think shampoos can do this much damage. Hair dye, straightening treatments, etc. maybe.

I am glad you are following through with your doctor. In the meantime, how about using coconut oil as a hair mask? It's a natural way to condition your hair.

Melt 2 tsp coconut oil by putting it in a glass bowl. Put this in a bowl of hot water.

Apply to damp or dry hair

Twist it up and put on a shower cap.

Let stay at least 30 minutes or overnight.

Rinse with warm water.

• 8 years ago

My gyn did mention hair loss/changes as a result of lower estrogen. Hopefully, if that is your case, you can do something other than HRT to help.

• 8 years ago

@ellenfi6261, oh shampoos can be extremely harsh, especially, those that make your hair smell like fruits--frag is very harsh.

@OP, another contributing factor is being outdoor w/o protection. That summer sun will toast your hair where it will make it feel like hay. I learned that many years ago and don't go out w/o wearing a hat.

• 8 years ago

Major weight loss is also a factor.

gsciencechick thanked Dragonfly8
  • 8 years ago

No real updates other than I had a blood draw. Doctor did not think thyroid was enlarged.

Unfortunately, no major weight loss here. More the opposite problem!

• 8 years ago

I am hypothyroid also. I have Hashimotos which is the autoimmune version...With a couple other autoimmune issues too. I am now 58 but started with Hypo T issues in my late 30's Lost lots of hair. I always had low normal labs. Dr finally started me on Synthroid and I had many issues with it. Migraines, heart palps, and still had bad hair and premature graying which is a symptom. I was still dying my hair but it was so ugly thin and lifeless. Changed to Armour Thyroid that helped (Not the hair) but I still had the migraines and still had low normal when on medication or not. There was some question as to if I really had thyroid issues until they tested for the Hashimotos. Apparently they changed the Armour Thyroid medication formulation so it is a bit different now.

Finally five years ago I changed Dr's and changed to Nature-Throid medication and then three years ago went on bioidentical hormones also. Finally my hair settled down and It looks good. I have not colored my hair since I was 42. It is gray and I keep it long. It still sheds some but nothing like it did. My pony tail is about double what it was back in my 40's.

I do not have the thyroid issues that I had before not perfect but much better on the Nature-throid.

We moved to our farm last fall and we now have well water and my hair is really flyaway static. It's the water although no one else in the family has issues. I started using Pantene BB cream and it has been the answer. Love it! I've never heard of the hair loss issues with pantene. My hair is lots dryer since I've gone through meno

gsciencechick thanked missymoo12
  • 8 years ago

Missymoo12 - what kind of doctor did you change to, an endocrinologist? I have exactly the same issues and cannot get anyone to listen. I feel awful and not functioning at a high level, as I always have, is simply not an option. Thank you for talking about your issues.

• 8 years ago

Well, I already got my results. Totally within ranges and really unchanged since last year or even the past couple of years. I have never seen an endo either.

Right now I'm leaning towards estrogen/menopause hair concerns because this has been since the end of last summer when I had the shedding.

• 8 years ago

Good news about test results.If it is meno related, using milder, top quality (not drugstore) hair supplies will help tremendously. I got my products from my stylist. Wash less freq if you can. Seems simplistic but drink more water, if you are dehydrated it can show in dry hair/nails/skin

• 8 years ago

So did your doctor not tell you anything? Did he/she say or feel this could be related to estrogen levels? As I responded earlier, my gyn told me of some possible effects of estrogen levels lowering. Good news that your thyroid is good.

I would definitely see an endo for thyroid issues. In fact I was sent to one years ago for testing. At the time my thyroid showed low, but apparently had something to do with the mess my hormones were in. Wasn't long afterwards that I was diagnosed with PCOS. I even had a biopsy for Hashimotos.

• 8 years ago

Just like in adolescence, hormones will be in flux during menopause. Under normal circumstances things will "normalize". Not discounting a medical consultation--but dry hair is fairly common during that period. Just like acne during teen years

• 8 years ago

Yes, he said the thyroid is the most obvious place to start, and then move on to GYN.

Bossy, good point as I really had the bad shedding late summer/early fall, and it is better now.

• 8 years ago

Cattyles -- I started with an endocrinologist first that was for the synthroid and then moved to the rheumatologist. Those dr's were ok but only treated to the labwork. Symptoms galore but no definitive lab values. I finally found a couple integrative MD's, one was my GYN who has retired now :(, who started me down the right track and have settled on the last guy who is an internist but is an Integrative MD. He is also taking care of the bioidentical hormones for me. I have to drive 2 hours for this guy but am doing better now in the past several years compared to where I was 5 years ago.

• 8 years ago

Thank you, missymoo12. I am in healthcare but can't find anyone who listens to symptoms and doesn't just treat the lab results. I will look for an Integrative MD.