Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_17244542

How to add curb appeal to a Florida Cookie Cutter Home

8 years ago

After 5 years, we are finally ready to work on the exterior of our home, but I am not sure what we should do... especially when it comes to landscaping.

Curb Appeal · More Info

Some ideas that I have are adding shutters, painting the front door, removing the shrubs that block the front door, and chopping down the palm tree (not sure DH will buy into that one). DH would like to have a path to the front door, since we typically park in the driveway.

Please share any ideas that you have to make our home feel more traditional.

Comments (5)

• 8 years ago

Here's a picture of a similar home with shutters.

Curb Appeal · More Info

• PRO
    8 years ago

It's the typical Florida builders landscape. If there was a single landscape trait I would universally getting rid of, it's engulfing the entrance walk with shrubbery. Usually in 5 years, the lower half of the door cannot even be seen so yours is better than most.

I would suggest you open up the entrance area, making it more direct and obvious ... along these lines. If necessary, expand the paving to make it more welcoming.

While the plants might looks similar to some actual plants, they don't represent any specifically. They are suggestions about size, shape, arrangement & the like. You would need to pick plants that work with the actual conditions offered.

When you paint the house in the future, I would suggest you do a little more contrast between the trim and body color. The body could be a shade or two darker.

User thanked Yardvaark
  • 8 years ago

Thank you Yardvaark! DH couldn't understand why I wanted to remove the shrubs blocking the front door. I just showed him your picture and now he understands what I meant about making the house feel more welcoming.

The exterior of the house is in really good shape, but I definitely plan to add more contrast when we do repaint. I feel like the current color scheme is so blah.

• 8 years ago

I might consider upgrading the garage door to something more decorative with windows and maybe a pair of large handles in the center, and doing something with the driveway (stain or stamping if the neighbors do it) and/or hardscape curves (pavers?) between the driveway and the door. Then I would try to think of something to put below the windows: extra trim or window boxes? I don't know. The whole left side of the pic feels blank.

I know this all sounds expensive. Keep thinking about it and researching it and eventually you'll come up with some ideas that may be more cost effective. You may want to hire a designer before you invest too much.

You could also line the driveway with plants and flowers. Think about ways to introduce curves. Paths and plants and paint. Can you put a flower bed around the mailbox? I love to see flowers around a mailbox.

A paver seating area in front of the windows? Would you use that? It might be nice surrounded by shrubs.

So many directions you could go in. Take your time.

User thanked Jane
  • 8 years ago

I have a slight obsession with front porches, so I really love the idea of a seating area. I also found a mailbox kit that matches the stacked stone on some of the houses in our neighborhood. I think it will look really cute with flowers around the base.

Thank you for all the great ideas!