Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikthegreek_gw

We needed the rain but not THAT thing

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It was sunny and warm, not a cloud in the sky. Literally out of the blue and within 10 mins the sky got dark, temp dropped from 83F to 66F, 60mph wind gusts blew and then all hell broke loose with thunder and lightning and rain and 1/2" large hail stones.. It lasted about 20mins and then it was all gone... Can't remember a thing like this.. There must be lots of damage in the garden but then it got too muddy to go out and check.

Comments (25)

• 7 years ago

How odd! Hopefully the garden came through alright. We never have big hail, but I hear it's really hard on the plants.

• 7 years ago

That's from my local weather station. Look at the temperature drop!

The pressure spike..

the rain rate...

and the sudden wind..

• 7 years ago

Quite a shock...

I do hope beachgoers managed to find some cover, they tend not to wear too much...

• 7 years ago

Wow! What an ordeal. Hope your beautiful yard is OK when you get a chance to get out and check on it. Amazing graphs.

• 7 years ago

Could it be Brexit-related? :-o

Seriously, hope your garden and your beautiful roses made it through.

How are the dogs doing now?

• 7 years ago

This one came directly from Brussels and Berlin..

Doggies are fine. They got all wet and scared yesterday.

• 7 years ago

How horrible and damaging! We feel for you, Nik. What the hell is going to happen next?

• 7 years ago

LOL - the B------s! Clearly not appreciating all the bolshie talk coming from your place. :-)

Poor doggies. Glad to hear they're both well though - that's very good news.

I used to have two neighbour dogs I was very fond of and whom I used to babysit sometimes. Boo the wussy all-black German Shepherd in particular was very frightened of thunder. One night when there was a particularly fierce storm we all huddled close together in the same room and I told them long, soothing stories about happy dogs and delicious bones until the storm abated and they were both fast asleep.

• 7 years ago

We've had hail a couple of times this year, also a LOT of wind. I don't know if it's just part of changing weather patterns. Your weather seems to be different from ours here in Italy: different influences, apparently.

• 7 years ago

Melissa, you're much further northwest and much more continental than us here. Your weather somewhat resembles the weather they get in NW Greece. Of course we have had hail before. I just can't recall such violent weather coming so suddenly and abrubtly and disappearing in a few minutes.

• 7 years ago

I believe we get the wet weather coming in from the Atlantic--rain usually comes from the west, as do strong winds--and hot dry conditions from the Sahara. The Alps seem to block the worst of the cold from the north, though some makes its way in through the gap at Trieste: cold comes from the east. Our property is on a south-facing slope midway up a hill in a valley which runs roughly east-west. This might channel weather that would otherwise come from a more southerly or northerly direction. This is my home-grown take on our weather.

• 7 years ago

Other than the hail, please send remainder of weather to southern California. We'll even pay for the water.

• 7 years ago

Ninkasi,

I had no doubt whatsoever.. Please add these costs to the rest and send a single invoice to be processed once we save some more funds by the next pensioners to absolve themselves of this world..

• 7 years ago

Yes, send the water to us in S CA. Just tack it on to my already out of control water bill. What's a little more...

• 7 years ago

It might be cheaper (no currency exchanges) if I could send you Californians a few of our daily t-storms we've been having lately. Yesterday, we had two very loud storms, which Lucy (our dog) did not enjoy.

Thankfully, we have not had any hail to cope with.

Currently, it's sunny and thundery... we may or may not get more rain today.

Virginia

• 7 years ago

Sounds like a Florida thunderstorm. Stealth comedians.

• 7 years ago

Wish you could send them our way!

• 7 years ago

Sounds very exciting and horrifying at the same time. Europe is certainly a hopping place these last few days.

• 7 years ago

Just keep your eyes on the Italian banks for the immediate future..

• 7 years ago

Just hot here in So. CA We had some humidity too which was kind of nice at night but sticky in the day. I would be thrilled to be in Greece no matter what the weather was. The one time I made it to Europe, it rained and rained. People thought I might be upset about it raining but I love rain and I was so happy to be there that some rain wasn't going to keep me inside. I would prefer hail over our drought.

• 7 years ago

I might too except that our cars would probably all have deep dimples - not a good look.

• 7 years ago

Everyone on my fathers side still lives in The Netherlands.(Holland) Everytime I'm there they worry about the rain spoiling my trip. I LOVE rain! Are you kidding me! No wonder every single thing is green there. Every yard is beautiful. They do love escaping from it in the winter time, especially to S CA.

• 7 years ago

Had some odd weather here this year with our el nino. We had a few sporadic heavy hailstorms that lasted a few minuets and some wind that the was strong enough to knock trees over and pull a metal canopy out of of the ground and drag it across the yard

• 7 years ago

We had 'that thing' yesterday. I'm not complaining, we need the rain. However, our satellite dish has been out of whack for a few weeks after we had our roof done. We finally got it fixed on Monday, and immediately after that we've had numerous thunderstorms which knock out the signal again. You can't win!