Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miacomas04

What is on my euphorbia??!!??

7 years ago

Could someone please tell me what this white growth on my euphorbia mammillaris is!!! It is only growing on the little offshoot branches. Also, how do I prevent it?

Comments (20)

• 7 years ago

Could be mealy bugs or mites or fungal disease.

miacomas04 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 7 years ago

Miacomas, I think Rina meant that we can't see it well enough to ID the problem. Can you get some close-ups of the funk? The blurry white stuff could be "honeydew" which is a sticky, sweet residue left by some plant-chewing bugs (bug poop). It could also be the hyphae of a fungus. Even the webbing of spider mites can't entirely be ruled out, although I think honeydew left by scale insect is much more likely.

Many plant parasites target soft, new growth. That would explain the new branches being the only areas affected. Check it over very closely for small, raised tan, white, or brown bumps that look like little scars on the plant. I'm not sure, but I might even see one in the 2nd photo. What is that tan, furry bump on the ridge just below the white stuff? Scale doesn't look like an insect at all. Also, feel the white areas. Sticky? If so, it's almost certainly honeydew. Try to get us some better, closer, clearer photos of any bumps or dark spots or even white or tan furry spots as any of them could be insects.

Garret, I think your pinheads are lovely.

miacomas04 thanked kwie2011
  • 7 years ago

Actually they arent mine, I got that pic from the internet as an example-Though I do have the same plant in real life with the same problem that I rescued from the bottom shelf of HD. The point of that was to show lack of sunlight causes thin growth that is permanent.

• 7 years ago

Does it work the other way too, Garret? Skinny "legs" with fat "heads" if they're moved to brighter light?

• 7 years ago

Yes, In that case, I would bury the thin stems to provide new rooting material for the plant and for aesthetics.

• 7 years ago

Kwie, I can not get a closer picture that is not blurry. All of the stems are covered with tan patches if that is what you are talking about. The affected area is too small to to feel but I do not think that it is sticky.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What I meant you to feel is the white stuff on the tips of the arms. If that feels at all sticky, it's honeydew, which confirms an insect infestation.

Since you can't get a closer photo, and I only have my phone and can't draw circles and arrows, see if you can identify this little brown spot in the second photo in your first post. If it isn't there anymore, or its somewhere else, it's an insect. It isn't a clear picture on my screen, but it could be a mealy bug or maybe even a scale insect.

Here's the wide view:

Here's the spot I'm talking about directly in the middle of this narrower shot:

• 7 years ago

Garret, I'm thinking one could have all kinds of fun "sculpting" these guys using various light intensities. I'm sure I'm not the first to think of it.

• 7 years ago

But then you'd have uneven growth on a plant, something not usually desired, no?

• 7 years ago

Conformist.

;-)

• 7 years ago

Yes, like a kitten conforming to a large mug.

• 7 years ago

Kwie,

That is what I felt and it did not seem to be sticky. That spot is actually just a spike that was growing towards the camera.

• 7 years ago

Ok, since we can't ID the problem, the safest bet is probably to treat with something that might help multiple issues. Bayer 3-in-1 kills just about all pests, even mites, and I believe it also treats some diseases, but I'm not sure which. I'd suggest reading the label and trying it. It is nasty stuff though- kills bees, poisons hummingbirds, pollutes water, etc., so if any plant that you treat is in bloom, keep it where birds, butterflies and bees can't reach it. You might want to wash off the white stuff with a washcloth or Q-Tips with some alcohol before treating it with Bayer. That way it'll be easy to see if it worked after a couple weeks or a month.

• 7 years ago

I can't find this in the shops. Would a mixture of dishwashing liquid and water work as well?

• 7 years ago

Since we don't know what you have, we can't know what works. That's why I recommended Bayer 3-in-1, but it might not be available where you are (UK?). I don't think you really need to ask whether simple soap and water is as effective as chemicals.

You can always try dish soap. If it doesn't work, go to a nursery or garden supply store and ask for the best treatment for mysterious funk that might be bugs or fungus or bacteria. Maybe they'll have some advice. Maybe they'll even look at your plant and diagnose it (talk to an expert though, not some low-wage employee).

• 7 years ago

Thank you. I'm in Australia, not U.K.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would not use dish soap on plants. Many ppl do, and it is widely recommended, but only soap safe for plants is plant based, like Castile soap.

If fungus, and you want to tray home-made spray, make it from cinnamon powder diluted in some hot water. Let stand overnight, shaking it couple of times. Strain thru some cheesecloth, dilute with water and spray. This could be made using rubbing alcohol instead of water too (do not heat the alcohol). And the plant will smell nice too :)

If mealy bugs, dip the q-tip in rubbing alcohol and wipe them off. Maybe you should try this to see if it comes off. If mealy bugs, whole plant may have to be sprayed since they like to hide and are sometimes hard to see. This treatment could be repeated if necessary, and while spraying the plant (with any spray) - keep it out of sunlight.

miacomas04 thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
  • 7 years ago

I just tried this, using a high pressure spray. It all came off and my plants are looking healthy. Thank you to everyone who helped.

• 7 years ago

I don't see anything and don't think any pesticide should be applied.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals