Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Wi-fi garage door openers

7 years ago

Does anyone have a wi-fi enabled garage door opener? If so what brand/model do you have and how do you like it?

Comments (14)

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think I do??? it's programmed to my car and I push a button on the dash and the door opens. Is that WIFI? The garage door opener itself was installed in 1983, so not sure I can recommend a brand that would be currently available. :-) The car is a 2016 audi, which I CAN recommend! I was surprised they could "talk" to each other.

• 7 years ago

I think you're talking about something like HomeLink, the built in garage door opener interface in cars. I'm looking for the wi-fi kind that you can run from an app on your phone no matter where you are, check to see if you closed it, etc.

• 7 years ago

Ok, that's not this....:-) Sounds intriguing tho.

• 7 years ago

My neighbor has one operated through his iPhone, using a WiFi connector plugged into the opener motor in the garage ceiling. He uses it a lot. For example, he can have a tradesman text him on arrival, and then opens the garage door for him, then gets a text and closes it on departure. Also, he can just check with his phone app to see if either of the kids left one of the garage doors open and close it if needed.

• 7 years ago

I think it would be useful and since I have to buy a new garage door opener anyway I thought this might be the way to go. Just trying to figure out what brand is good and what features to make sure I get.

• 7 years ago

I just got a new garage door + opener last week. I opted not to get the wifi option, only because I'm cheap.

• 7 years ago

LiftMaster Belt drive for quiet, smooth operation.

• 7 years ago

My LiftMaster could use WiFi but our WiFi signal doesn't reach the (detached) garage.

• 7 years ago

Does anyone have concerns that their someone else could troll through the neighborhood trying to open up garage doors? I wonder how safe they are.

• 7 years ago

Garage doors can easily and quickly be opened with a low-tech pry bar ... google youtube videos on the subject ... so I wouldn't worry about wifi.

Also recommend Liftmaster and I like the TTC (time to close) option that allows you to program the door to close on its own after X number of minutes. No more garage doors left open all day because someone forgot to close it on the way out.

• 7 years ago

Actually, my garage doors are so heavy, I don't think anyone could open them easily even with the gear disengaged. Also, there are no windows, so a thief would have to have fish blindly for the catch. Therefore, a wifi opener is definitely a security risk in my situation.

• 7 years ago

About 2 years ago, my neighbor called me and asked me to let his dog out because he was delayed getting home. I asked for his garage entry code and he said he could open the door via his phone! Sorry, I don't know the brand, but SO handy.

• 7 years ago

Brushworks - do you have the Liftmaster? I've been looking at those online because that's what all our other GDOs are.