Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmbertao

Help to figure out how to cut & sew fabric for custom curtain design

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I have sewn simple curtains, pillows with zippers, simple slipcovers, etc.,for a few years. But I greatly appreciate someone's advanced help with a larger project please? I have a formal dining room with 14 foot tall ceilings. I want to make open curtains for it (3). I found a photo of custom curtains that I thought would look perfect in my dinning room. I bought the fabric (2 colors). I'm still stuck on the design "how-to's". Such as how to taper the fabric to form the point on the "front" piece of fabric in the photo, and the best way to attach the 2nd fabric that flows to the floor behind it. Do you think in the original photo that there is a 2nd rod holding the lower fabric? Or do you feel they might have sewn them together some how and made the curtains appear to be 2 separate curtains? I would love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much! Photo's attached of my dinning room, org. photo, & fabric

Comments (18)

• 7 years ago

It looks like just a large, long, hemmed piece of fabric, folded and looped over a rod, then gathered with a tassel. It looks fairly simple, if unwieldy to sew.

• 7 years ago

Thank you deeinohio for your comment. However, My real issue is how to attach that 2nd piece under the top piece. Is there a 2nd rod placed halfway down that holds the bottom fabric? Or does the top piece maybe have notches sewn into the back to where it could hold a small rod or dowel that I could slip the 2nd curtain onto it? I want to make sure that when I put the two pieces together that I don't see a gap from the side between the two pieces; that my finished piece will flow together and look as "one", like in the original photo I posted.

• 7 years ago

I would sew the solid fabric to the print in such a way that it is below the rod pocket on the back side. I'd make the rod pocket out of the print.

The point looks to be just a 45° angle to the center of the panel and then hem it.

• 7 years ago

I don't think it is 2 curtains. I think it is a one piece, if you are talking about your first picture. I'm not sure what the other two pictures are. I would have sewn it like my description, but Annie's rod pocket will make it look more finished. You can place the folds of the top piece to hide any space. You might also make a trial run with muslin.

• 7 years ago

I personally don't think they look professional, but like a DIY done by the homeowner. I envision the treatment was started with ready made panels, the top ones cut into a 'V' at the bottom. HOW they were put together is beyond me, but in looking at the picture would think the area where the tassels hang would offer the least noticeable sewing.

• 7 years ago

I agree with the above comments. Something about the originals looks funny - the wrinkles? I would do it as separate panels and use a plain rod on the underneath part. If you look in the center of the picture, right in the corner, you can see something white - maybe the rod. Much easier to sew separately, and I've made lots of draperies.

• 7 years ago

What it looks like to me is one looooong piece, cut with a shallowly pointed end to make the over-drape

And, to keep it gathered in place on the rod, there is a separate pocket sewn onto the fabric at the spot it passes over the rod.

Slide the rod through the pocket, hang it, tie the cord thingies (which probably have a hook to support them in the wall behind the curtains) and floof out the bottom straight hem.

• 7 years ago

lazy_gardens, that's exactly what it looks like to me. I don't make curtains myself, so I'm tackling it from a visual/logical point of view. I just cannot imagine the amount of fabric involved, the spools of thread, the weight, the dust. What do you do when they need to be cleaned?

• 7 years ago

Vacuum them.

• 7 years ago

It looks to me like the lower fabric is a separate drapery, hung on a lower rod. Like clt3 says, you can see a bit of white to the side of the lower piece, right where a rod would be. Look to the left of the lower left drapery, just below the white horizontal trim piece dividing the window -there is a tiny dot of white that looks to be a rod peeking out.

• 7 years ago

That does make sense Olychick, and is probably a DIYer saving money by using off the shelf panels too short for the full window length.

• 7 years ago

An alternative would be FOUR extremely short rods lower down holding the lowest part (#2) and the upper part flowing over it from an attachment point somewhere along the arch (#1).

And you might do the upper part with a short rod just below the part that goes up and over a wider rod.

it's less material to fight, and still has the look.

• 7 years ago

The question there is, based on how your windows are built, if there's room to do shorty rods part way up to be hidden under the upper panel or not. Some windows may not have the space to mount it. And unless mounted properly, they may cause a bulge in the upper panel when it hits the rod underneath. But it would give the advantage of making the rod mountings easier as they'd each carry a lot less weight. That's a lot of fabric and I'm sure it's very heavy.

• 7 years ago

The tapered piece is probably one simple angled "V" point on the top piece of fabric. A bigger concern would be the scale of the drapes. The inspiration room probably has 25 foot ceilings vs your 14 foot. Where will you place the "point" and the tasseled wraparound? If placed at the halfway mark, it will cutoff the line of the drape. Your selection of 2 different fabrics will also compound issue. I would suggest a mockup on paper so you will achieve the look you want.

• 7 years ago

I agree - a paper mockup would be the way to go so you get the correct scale. Regardless of how the pictured drapes were done, it seems to me that making and hanging each top and bottom drape separately would be a lot easier all the way around.

But as ratherbesewing suggests, what looks good in a room with a 25 foot ceiling and double set of windows (plus the elegance of the oversized furnishings and chandelier) may not carry out as well on a 14 foot ceiling with a single set of windows. If I were designing drapes for your windows, I would do something with a straight line of fabric. You could still do the two tone, but reconsider the swagging and tassels.

• 7 years ago

I would disagree with a paper mockup only because paper does not drape. Go to the goodwill or salvation army and buy some old sheets to make a mock up.

Or another way to get a sense of scale is to make a scale drawing of that wall on quadrille paper and then sketch out where and how you'd like to hang the fabric and where you might put tassels or how deep to make the points.

• 7 years ago

I love the height of your room and windows....beautiful room.

I also think a rod extending the full width over all the bottom windows only with curtain panels and leave the upper windows unadorned would look nice.

I think white shutters on the lower windows would look nice as well.

• 7 years ago

Thank you all so much for taking the time to offer your thoughts, and expertise - I appreciate it! I did a trial run in the photo above that shows only the one fabric all the way down. When looking at the top of the rod the curtain looks "sparse/skinny" if that makes sense. I'm going to try doubling the width on the top floral fabric. However, I bought this fabric at Joanne's back in August on a tremendous sale. I think I ended up paying $9.00 yard; it was orig. $39 a yard! I don't know if I can order more at that price so I might be stuck with that look. And I will use a short rod up towards the midddle/top to hang the 2nd dark gray fabric. Will make ties on the back of the top fabric to tie on the tassels/tie backs (?). It's a difficult job to do as I'm up on a double ladder about 10 feet off the ground carrying fabric and lifting the rods that are 14 feet up - to play around with the look. So I'm wanting to get this right with the least amount of trips up that ladder! Will post a pic when I get these done. Thank you all again :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH