Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1288772

Absolutely do NOT want to be ABB - Please help! X-post

7 years ago

I'm planning a facelift of the kitchen in the condo I'm buying.
The very small (10x11) kitchen will be opened up to the DR like so:

Kitchen · More Info

The only new kitchen cabinets are those over the fridge and the
base/wall cabinets opposite the fridge. The existing cabinets are
builder grade Merillat, but in pristine condition. So, I opted to keep
them and spend more on the new cherry cabinets that will face the DR.
The counters will be Cambria Windermere:

Kitchen · More Info

Perusing GW Kitchens yesterday, I found 2 versions of tile that I
thought might work as the backsplash to dress up the white cabinets and
Windermere:

Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

The second one appeared to have all the colors in Windermere, but I
wasn't sure I'd like the variegation against the counter variegation.
So, I went to the local tile shop this morning. I liked the top one
better IRL. Price? $135/sf. Not.going.to.happen. I'm not even going to breath the name of this tile. I refuse to be an enabler for anyone else.

The wonderful designer asked me what I liked about the tile - the
shape? the color? what? "Huh? Ummm...the sparkle?" Off we trot to
another area of the showroom. Here is what I walked out of the showroom
carrying home to audition with Windermere at 20% of the cost of the
above:

Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen · More Info

What do you think:

A?

0r B?

But not ABB!

ETA: Here is the pendant (one of three) that will go over the counter:

Kitchen · More Info

Comments (19)

• 7 years ago

What is the stain color of your cabinets. You have some old and new ones both? Important in a small space to tie it all together. I like backsplash A but it reads yellow or sand tone and cherry cabs usually are reddish and darken even more red. Gotta work with your wood. Out of trepidation due to all this I might just get a white subway. Be realistic.

• 7 years ago

weezel - Me, too! They will be my splurge on this reno!

herbflavor - The kitchen cabinets are white white white. Only the DR cabs under the counter are medium (not dark) cherry.

• 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I like the pendant, but I think all your tile choices are very busy with the counters and blend too much with them rather than complement them. If you like sparkle maybe look at some crackle tiles that are more monochrome but not so "basic?"

Just my opinion of course.

User thanked DrB477
  • 7 years ago

Good idea, DrB477!

• 7 years ago

The choices seem very textured...how difficult are those going to be to clean?

• 7 years ago

rantontoo, they are glazed and very smooth.

• 7 years ago

I love the rectangular tile with the counter, and I don't actually think it's too busy. Almost, but not quite, too busy. If YOU think the combination is too busy, would you (or could you) choose a different counter? Silestone has a lot of offerings with very uniform color.

• 7 years ago

cawaps, I did look at other quartz, including more uniform colors. None grabbed me. I think it will be easier for me to find a similar BS tile that's less busy. I like the 2 sizes of rectangular tiles and the way they're stacked. I may have to just dial down the "sparkle" and get a more uniform color.

• 7 years ago

I really like the tile in the original counter picture. The shape fits well and it isn't too showy. If you want a little more sparkle what about a mother of pearl instead of the crackle? Or maybe glass tile.

What's the brand of that pendant? It's absolutely gorgeous! I love a bit of sparkle too and that might look good in my kitchen.

• 7 years ago

Gorgeous. In the same way you have two cabinet types will one wall show more? Or is part of the purpose of the bs to unify?

• 7 years ago

traci - I found the pendant on Shade of Light. Here's the SKU: PE14236BZ-01.

practigal - I'm not sure I understand your question. Will one wall in the kitchen have more BS than another? The largest continuous BS span will be the refrigerator wall 83 in. x 19 in. The BS on the opposite wall (unseen in the model above) is 58 in. x 19 in. I expect the cherry cabinets will probably not be very prominent behind the DR furniture.

• 7 years ago

Plain glass subways in 3x6 or 2x4? The 2x4 also comes in the darker
    brown, but the 3x6 does not come in the taupe. Both images are mock ups
    and do not attempt to represent actual grout lines.

Kitchen · More Info

• 7 years ago

I really like the mixed height rectangle backsplash with your counters, the mixed colors in the diamonds alternative is too busy. I think the textural richness (sparkle/crackle?) in the mono-color option is just the right amount of interesting, but not too busy.

User thanked bemocked
  • PRO
    7 years ago

Cambria is not super shiny, and all the tile you looking for is very reflective... I would better come up with some simple design and use lighter travertine... would definitely add some darker brown accent to catch that darker brown colors of your Windermere. Something like that: http://www.footcap.com/5/2014/02/Wonderful-Traditional-Kitchen-Design-Applied-Travertine-Tile-Backsplash-models-countertop-ideas-granite-contemporary-Granite-Countertop-with-Medium-Colored-Cabinet-in-Wood.jpg but the grout should be lighter gray

User thanked OZ Enterprises
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you, OZ. Knowing my (lack of) attention to clean up, I fear that travertine would get pretty...ummm... disgusting. Thinking more of a smoother material, but like the color coordination.

• 7 years ago

Here's the tile I'm currently auditioning:

Kitchen · More Info

IRL it really goes well with the putty color in the Cambria. It's a
    2.5x8 inch glossy ceramic - a little shine without the glare of glass.
    Also, I got worried about glass tile potential problems with correct
    mastic and breakage wrt cutting for outlets/switches.

When I return samples tomorrow to the shop where I found samples A and
    B, I'll check colors available for A and see whether an accent could be
    possible as suggested in the xpost.

Now, to stack or to offset the above, that is the question. ?????

• PRO
    7 years ago

Don't make your back-splash darker than the background of your counters, which is bage....

• 7 years ago

I love B (that might make me unusual). I think it's absolutely gorgeous together.