Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_corder

Jade questions and my new arrivals

7 years ago

So I took a cutting of my moms gorgeous Jade plant July 3 or 4, 2016 in Tennessee and brought it back to Las Vegas with me where I planted it. It definitely has rooted and has new growth. I would like it to branch so I cut off the top two leaf sets and laid them on soil for no real reason and with no expectation. They are in with sedum. One rooted and three that fell off in shipping.

Here is the plant itself:

Any advice for me on getting my plant to grow correctly? I'm hoping I did everything right but really don't know much about growing succulents yet except a lot of bits and pieces I got online. I water about once a week...more if the soil is just plain dry and clearly needs it. The pot it terra cotta and 3 inches in diameter. Tiny little thing lol!

Here are the new arrivals that came today as well:

I want them to have the best chance at thriving! They will probably need to be placed outside for the summer as my only window with a sill that can handle plants is facing east.

All advice and help totally welcome! Thanks guys!

Comments (18)

• 7 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention they were watered immediately before taking the photo lol. I hadnt watered the Jade in a week and the soil was so dry that it was blowing away from my breath on it :( Probably not the best watering schedule but you know lol. Better under than over right? xD

• 7 years ago

The compact ones just came in the mail about an hour before I took the pics so hopefully they will spread out and be beautiful in no time :) I'm really enjoying the interesting looking succulents! I plan to put them in a pot together except for the Jade which will have its own pot but I haven't gotten to the garden center yet :) Thank you!

• 7 years ago

Is it normal for them to ship them in the pots dry as a bone and each wrapped very tightly in newspaper?

• 7 years ago

Yes, it is. Better dry than wet. Succulents have plenty of moisture stored in their leaves and stems, so can take it. Shipped wet, they could start rotting - they are enclosed in box, air exchange is poor and they could be even hot - or cold, dpending on where they are coming from.

It may be best for you to research growing conditions required by each of your plant before potting them together. One thing they have in common is good drainage - and that is for potting mix and also the container. Some may need watering at different time of year, some would prefer full sun, others maybe less. Planting many different plants together could make it more difficult to provide for their needs.

As for why I mentioned discoloration of perlite: it doesn't happen if the plant is watered generously when needed. It happens if soil is wet for prolonged period of time. If there is lots of peat, it could be very dry on surface and yet the rest (around roots) quite moist. I am not saying that's what you do, just looking at 'indicators' (haha, just made that up). It is best to water succulents generously, when the substrate they are potted in is almost totally dry. Try bamboo skewer/chopstick test before watering next time, just to make sure. If you were to use well draining potting mix, excess water will drain out fast and only smaller amount will be held by particles of perlite, pumice or other substrates used. This would be released to plant's roots as needed, rather than keeping mass of soil around root ball wet for long.

• 7 years ago

Maybe I will keep them separately planted just so I don't have to deal with that mess lol. The one I am most concerned about keeping alive is the Jade as it is from my mothers plant and my mom has leiomyosarcoma which is terminal. I want to keep it happy and healthy. :) I can't wait to get repotting. Would now be a good time for reporting since the growing season is just starting? I could grab my kids from school and head straight to the nursery for pots and potting mix. I have a bag of perlite left from my carnivorous plants and I have peat moss but doubt that would be good for succulents as it holds water quite well and that isn't desirable for succulents. I figured I could just grab a bag of succulent mix and mix the perlite in 50-50.

• 7 years ago

Also, when people say 50-50 are they going by weight or just amount like 2 cups soil to 2 cups perlite?

• 7 years ago

Volume, you would need loads more perlite if it was by weight as it's so very light!

Kelly Corder thanked greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
  • 7 years ago

I was assuming so but just wanted to make sure

• 7 years ago

I'm really excited to be starting my succulent journey!

• 7 years ago

And we are excited for you!!!! There are few things better than helping you, but remember, benign neglect should be your password for the app.

Kelly Corder thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • 7 years ago

That's probably why all the succulents in Home Depot and lowes look so good HAHA!

• 7 years ago

Moved the one with roots already and put in some new cuttings. Not much water at all so hopefully they root!

• 7 years ago

It should be NO water.

• 7 years ago

I only sprayed the top once with a mister bottle, not even a spray bottle. The soil was perlite and dust and I needed the dust to stop blowing around when the air conditioner kicked on xD

• 7 years ago

It's soil I mixed up last year and kept in a ziplock bag for my carnivorous plants :)

• 7 years ago

Then that's OK, then. You've done well. One early lesson, at least when it comes to watering.....when in doubt, don't.

• 7 years ago

Haha! Truth! I think they will need to be watched closely since they go outside in the morning and come in at night. I'm afraid people will steal them if I leave them out sadly. Vegas is a hot and dry place lol

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County