Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_moreland14

Noticeable Seam in New Quartz Countertop - Advice?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I got home last night to find our new countertops installed! I was excited until I saw the seam, which is noticeable/frustrating to me for three reasons

1) Size, seems wide given the size of the countertop

2) Color, doesn't match the white/gray...looks yellow/brown.

3) ... and the movement of both slabs seems to be going in opposing directions - do you see how the right part's white speckles are going in the upward right direction while the left slab is going the upward left direction, almost making a "V"? Had hoped they could have blended it a bit better.

I wanted to poll this knowledgeable and helpful community to see if I'm being unreasonable?

They are London Fog, if that helps.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    7 years ago

Our experience is that in the first estimate fabricators provide a price based on the most efficient use of the material - not whether patterns match up at seams, etc. Once they template, they have a firm idea of the size and configuration of the countertop. Unless we specify that we want to participate in the layout and pattern -which everyone understands will increase the price - then they allow the shop guys to lay it out and cut it based on the original assumption of maximizing the material, i.e. less waste. A consumer either needs a designer working on their behalf to handle these details or needs to be prepared to manage the details themselves and be able to specify exactly what they want. The color of the joint compound could certainly match up a bit better. The pattern could match up better, but the fabricator should have been notified that you wanted that and understood it would cost more.

• PRO
    7 years ago

"1) Size, seems wide given the size of the countertop"

How wide specifically? 1/32"? 1/16"? A close-up picture would help. Put a 3' minimum straightedge over the seam too, please. It shouldn't rock or have gaps below.

"2) Color, doesn't match the white/gray...looks yellow/brown."

Whites and whites with movement are some of the most difficult seams to get good color match. Better too dark as you have than a bright white line screaming. Yellowing is a sign of too much catalyst in adhesive.

"3) ... and the movement of both slabs seems to be going in opposing directions - do you see how the right part's white speckles are going in the upward right direction while the left slab is going the upward left direction, almost making a "V"? Had hoped they could have blended it a bit better."

I can't see it from this picture. Some manufacturers give specific instructions with surfaces that have "grain"; I'd check yours. Your fabricator has little choice with stone with movement.

• PRO
    7 years ago

At this point, the only concern that can be addressed (without extra $$$$$ and without putting in a new slab) is the COLOUR of the seam. As Joseph points out, the whites are some of the hardest to get the filler to match the background colour. This can be addressed as part of your original price.

Beware: removing the adhesive and applying a new mix can widen a seam (they need to remove the old adhesive somehow) if the crew isn't careful. A close up of the seam would be helpful to see how "chippy" the edges are.

From a 10ft distance, I would say this is a decent effort. The yellow in the seam is about all that is of concern to me. Movement is movement. If you did not specify in writing (with 2 signatures + dates attached) stating the movement must MATCH, then there is nothing else to be offered other than seam repair.

• 7 years ago
    The picture seems to be taken from a distance of someone standing in front of the seam, the closest one would ordinarily view it from.
    from this, the seam does not appear overly wide to me
    (do however, test the levels, as suggested by Joseph above)

regarding colour, it's also not glaringly obvious from this distance, and I second what the others stated above, it's not easy to match white colours, and without it being specified, it wouldn't have been done

I do see what you mean regarding movement; this to me, is the most prominent of the issues you raise. unfortunately this is a common problem with owners having counter tops put in; it is assumed the slab movement will be matched, but unless specifically requested, it seldom will be.

I understand where you're coming from, but don't think it's a bad job, nor, unfortunately, that you have much recourse without spending considerably more. If the ready of the work is fine, leave it be
  • 6 years ago

This is my seam on Soquel Brilliant White which is a clear white with no markings.