Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_328938900

Need help with Powder Room 17" (15" bowl) 19" (17" bowl) Decision

2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hi all,

I need some help. I am trying to decide between sink sizes. I have a 42-inch vanity cabinet. I am deciding between an overall length of 19 13/16" (basin length 17 1/4", depth 15 5/8") and an overall length of 17 1/8" (basin length 15 1/4", depth 13 3/8"). If I go with the 19" I would need to take the drawers out. This vanity is a downstairs guest bathroom. The 24-inch sink is overall 23 7/8" (basin length 21 3/8", depth 13 1/8"). The 24-inch sink may be a bit too large for this vanity. I am trying to decide between the 17 and the 19, whether to keep the drawers or not.

I am concerned the 17" is pretty small for the cabinet, however, I would be able to preserve the drawers. I have counter install on Tuesday and am trying to make this decision quickly to get my sinks on time for fabrication. Your advice is much appreciated.

Comments (17)

• 2 months ago

Definitely 17" sink. It makes life easier, keeps the top drawers intact, and 12" of counter is nice on each side. Besides, it's a guest bath.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Agreed ^^^

• 2 months ago

I completely agree with hu120.
    Definitely keep the drawers.

• PRO
    2 months ago

17", absolutely. It's plenty big. And that size will give you more counter top space for a tissue box, etc.

• 2 months ago

The actual sink basin length is 15 1/4", depth 13 3/8"... so the sink will be 15 1/4". The overall is from edge to edge of the outer part which is under-mounted. Do you think the 15 1/4" is still large enough?

• 2 months ago

Yes, it will be fine.

• 2 months ago

I checked a number of freestanding, single-bowl, 42" vanities with integrated sinks on build.com and decorplanet.com. The sink bowl widths ranged from 16" to 18" with the most common about 17". But wouldn't modifying the cabinet to accommodate the wider sink require not only removing the drawers but moving the four wood supports on either side of the sink opening outward, removing the drawer fronts from the drawers, and reattaching the drawer-front to the cabinet?

• 2 months ago

These are the specs to the sink that fits: Actual sink will be 15 1/4"

Overall Length: 17-1/8" (left to right of sink)

• Overall Width: 13-3/8" (front to back of sink)
    • Overall Height: 7-3/16" (top to bottom of sink)
    • Basin Depth: 5-1/8"
    • Basin Length: 15-1/4"
    • Basin Width: 11-1/4"
    • Height to Overflow: 3-7/16"
    • Number of Faucet Holes: 0
  • 2 months ago

yes. They would remove the drawers completely and leave the facing plates as false drawers. The top horizontal wood the fabricator will remove anyway, the other wood support you see there is the track support of the drawers, all of that including the drawers would be removed.

• 2 months ago

My Kohler Caxton sinks are 17" x 13" inside bowl dimensions. Plenty big for a master bathroom.

• 2 months ago

This is going in a Powder Room.

• 2 months ago

You do know that any changes to the structure of the vanity totally voids any warranty and probably makes it less structurally sound, right?

• PRO
    2 months ago

A powder room ? IMO small is fine but if this is a guest bathroom next to a guest bedroom a totally different thing.

• 2 months ago

J Mig: "...probably makes it less structurally sound"

I'd probably move the horizontal supports outward to accommodate the wider sink but the fabricator understands the structure of the cabinet and whether the supports are really needed if the drawers are removed.

• 2 months ago

Chispa - what size is your MB vanity? I am overwhelmed right now with life - but I need to select sinks for my master bathroom ASAP (need to provide info to countertop fabricator). My fabricator has a few different options (don’t know brands) - which I was considering using one of them - just because it would be easier.

However, I’ve read quite a few posts where people have used Kohler Caxton (or have used Kohler Ladena - I think that’s the correct name).

Your home is beautiful (based upon what I’ve seen) - you clearly have a great eye for design.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing the overall size + a photo, I’d truly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Dani

OP - pretty walnut vanity - I would want to avoid modifications + all drawers to be functional, if possible.

• 2 months ago

@dani_m08, thanks! The vanity is 99.25" long and was custom made to fit in the space. The medicine cabinets are 24" x 48".

• 2 months ago

The sink in our 42” vanity in a master bath is 17”x12”x5.5”— it came with the counter so I didn’t give it much thought but two years in we like it and find it plenty big for anything we’ve needed to use it for. Especially in a powder room, it seems like it would work just fine. Definitely wouldn’t modify the vanity for something bigger.