Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayms89

Bantel's sensation leaves drooping

6 years ago

I have a bantel's sensation plant that I have not been able to grow properly. I bought it last summer and it was huge and doing very well; all leaves stood straight up. However I didn't read up on how to care for it and unfortunately lost 60% of the plant from overwatering. I was able to save some parts of the plant, but the problem now is that the leaves seem to be drooping/leaning to the sides rather than standing up on their own like they were when I first got the plant. I repotted it to a smaller pot with a drainage hole in hopes that it will help. I hadn't watered the plant in probably 2 months, the soil and the roots were very dry, but I did water it once I repotted it. The leaves still seem to be leaning out to the sides... any ideas why the leaves wouldn't be standing up on their own? Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? See picture attached.

Comments (3)

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The local C&S vendor remarked a couple of years ago that he had trouble keeping Bantel going. I had one and it was doing fine, and I remarked as such. Naturally, the next winter when it was inside I almost lost it. Exact same spot it had been sitting in over winter for years and the same haphazard watering schedule. Bantel, along with some of the other chlorophyll challenged plants can be extra sensitive about the water they get over winter. They just don't grow as vigorously as an all green plant. Give a gentle tug to the leaves that are leaning out and if they easily pull away from the main plant, there may be some rot going on from over watering. My Bantel after an even more careful watering schedule after I almost lost it, still is down to one small section from what it had before. However, now that it's outside in the heat, it starting to look a little more healthy. Just remember it isn't growing at the rate of an all green plant, so patience is a virtue with it..........Maryl

ayms89 thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • 6 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with it other than the tall leaves may be etiolated looking for light. Other than that, it looks good to me.

ayms89 thanked vitorama
  • 6 years ago

I have found Bantel's tricky to grow. One thing they do not seam to like being rained on. I only put them outside when I can protect them from the rain. They are touchy about how much water they will take.

One thing about watering: under watering can cause the roots to dry up and die- creating the same type situation as root rot. Over watering is worse, but keeping a plant bone dry can kill the plant just as easily. Sansevieria as a group like more water in the heat of summer- they need it because they are actively growing. So I would suggest not letting the plant dry out totally- but avoid wet soil- aim for moist and allow to "just slightly" dry before watering, Winter; reduce watering- but don't let it go without water for months. All depends on your environmental conditions, how warm is it, how bright of light, how humid is it, how far north you are located, what type of soil and what type of pot it is in- all effect how the plant responds to soil moisture.

ayms89 thanked Sans2014