Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Do you have questions about paint colors and trends?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We're talking to Ellen O'Neill, Benjamin Moore's Director of Strategic Design Intelligence about color and paint trends. What questions do you have for her? Tell us!

Comments (20)

• 6 years ago

I don’t know why anyone would decorate their home based on a trend, instead of their own preferences. Back when the southwestern look was in vogue, a friend redid the living room in southwestern. He hated it, but it was “in”. Foolish.

Emily H thanked arvilla_trag
  • 6 years ago

So I love my new open concept home, but it’s driving me crazy to pick out a paint color that will work throughout!! All of my walls are connected with no clear separation. But one color of paint looks different on four walls within the same general area. How can I choose a different color without making it look like a mistake? What is a good “light” Greige go to color?

• 6 years ago

cre8tive: I ran into the same thing when I opened my last place up: how do I decorate for 3 separate rooms within one space? I went all white. I wanted it bright - especially being a condo with windows on only one side. I went with Benjamin Moore's "Chantilly Lace". It' bright, without being too warm or cool, too blue or yellow. I brought in more color through fabrics/pillows/a painted piece of furniture here or there. But I found natural wood was key to keeping it warm and inviting (floors, counters, furniture). I'd say to add more color, maybe just do one wall, or an island, or something that is easy to change out as you tire of it. I painted the walls, ceilings and cabinets all the same color, and never tired of it. I moved and bought a house last year and used the same color again in every room. I figured if I want to paint other color later, I can do that, but I like having the blank pallet to start from. And honestly, any color added to walls darkens a space. Not every space can handle that.

If you are looking for a "greige", my cousin used one from Ben Moore called "Smoked Oyster" - she found it used in a Pottery Barn catalog. Really looked nice. I used a color from the same strip called "Elephant Grey". I liked it but wished I'd used a lighter version of the color afterwards. Check out that color strip - it really is one of the nicer versions I've seen....

• 6 years ago

I am painting my hallways and open kitchen/dining/living room with BM Gray Tint with BM Super White baseboards/trim. I'd like to paint the northwest facing office and master bedroom a different color that works with Gray Tint. I plan to use the Super White for all trim through the condo. Any ideas?

• 6 years ago

am converting a small study to a small guestroom, and def want to go with red walls. there are 2 windows: south and east, and given the size of the room, pretty good light.! hall door and closet door are white, so not much wall left. I really Chinese Red -- but your reds seem to have a bit of blue in them such as 1309 and 1323, I love 290 'Calliente' but it is very dark..... thoughts???

• 6 years ago

Is the gray trend really on it's way out? How long do trends tend to stay? What do you see as the next trend in interior colors? How about 5 years from now? What is the best advice you can give to someone about how to pick a paint color that wants to ignore all the trends and have a space that feels timeless? Is it still a good idea to use a tinted primer over a dark colored wall (like a red dining room) or are there new paint formulations that make that unnecessary and you can get full coverage with one or two coats even if the new paint color is pretty light?

• 6 years ago

What finish should you use on textured walls that are going to have a deep color on them? Flat or eggshell? Does it matter?

• 6 years ago

I'd like to know more about full spectrum paint colors: do they make a difference? Are there certain places where they make more sense than others? (e.g., in a very sunny room versus, say, a lower level or small powder room.)

• 6 years ago

if you want to use color to create light in a room, what color should you paint the walls? Do you like painted ceilings (and if so, what colors and with what trim)? What paint works well on floors?

• 6 years ago

Our home has many rooms with medium-stained wood trim. Besides white, what colors work best with this trim?

• 6 years ago
    A second vote to two other questions - we have an open floor plan with 15 foot ceilings in the great room and medium stain wood trim throughout. Finding a color to go EVERYWHERE and look good with the wood trim is daunting. And, I'm still not on board with the gray trend. Seems like everyone keeps suggesting greys or greige and I just don't like them!
  • 6 years ago

When is your conversation, and will you post back here? Post an article? (If the latter, please post a link here.)

• 6 years ago

what is a good tan or white to give some a neutral contrast to white linen trim?

• 6 years ago

I don't see any answers on this thread. Is Ellen O'Niell really going to respond? If so, when?

• 6 years ago
    @debs_mcgraw - try Fioli Lace, a Valspar color. It looks like Golden French vanilla ice cream, and makes white trim POP.
  • 6 years ago
    I just painted my bedroom Van Deusen Blue and it is gorgeous. (Had a horrid experience with SW and as soon as I went back to Ben, all was well. You have the BEST paint.) I'm a better-than-average painter but no matter what I do - taping, straight-edge guide, slow freestyle - I cannot get a clean line. It's bad enough that I am considering painting the rest of my house white just to avoid the mess. Any tips? And any suggestions for a warm white just in case? Thanks!!!
  • 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing your experience. Can you post a photo?

• last year

I'm painting my living room, dining room and entryway white chocolate and deciding if the trim should be the same color or contrast with super white?

• last year

This thread is 6 years old. And Revere Pewter is still around….