Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

Just one of those days - OT

6 years ago

Many of you know we sold our condo and are now renting a different unit in the same building.

We went to friends for Thanksgiving and I was tasked with making the pies and the zucchini bread. Monday I made the zucchini breads. Tuesday I made the pie crust dough. Wednesday I made the pumpkin pie. Thursday morning I left for making the apple pie.

Let me preface that my sink is in a corner and is a butterfly sink similar to this:

The disposal is on the right side and the left side is just a regular sink. Above the sinks are cabinets that are only 15" above the sink. Hey it's a rental, it was clean and the views are great.

Peeled all the apples and threw the peels down the disposal in small batches. Turned the water on and ran the disposal after each batch. So far so good.

Next I cored all the apples and cut them up into slices. Threw the cores down the disposal in small batches. Turned the water on and ran the disposal after each batch. So far so good.

Threw the small cuttings of the small parts left over that I didn't use down the disposal in small batches. Turned the water on and ran the disposal after each batch. So far so good.

Mixed my apples, spices, sugars, etc. Rolled out my bottom pie dough and put it in the pie plate. Added the apples to the plate and realized I really needed 1 more apple which I happened to have in my fridge.

Went to the fridge, washed the apple, peeled it and threw the peels down the disposal. Turned on the water and then the disposal. Not so good this time. The left side (the side without the disposal) exploded with chopped up apple peels and who knows what else! It went everywhere. On me. On the cabinets. Under the cabinets. Even inside one of the cabinets. Also the stove is literally right next to the sink. I'm sure some is behind there too.

The dog heard the explosion and ran for cover to her crate. I said lots of choice words I won't repeat. DH wasn't around because he was volunteering at our local aquarium where he's a guide. I was covered in water and apple peels. Definitely not one of my finer moments as I stood there with what had to be a bewildered expression on my face, water (and peels) dripping off my hair and glasses.

After staring at the mess for what seemed like an eternity, I finally grabbed the roll of paper towels and started wiping up the mess. Except I had forgotten to first wipe myself off so of course the peels and the water were dripping onto whatever I had just wiped up. Finally my brain engaged again, and I realized I needed to first clean myself off.

Once I was reasonably sure the cabinets and under the cabinets were no longer dripping water and peels, I proceeded to finish the pie, get it in the oven and get it baked.

So later that day, as the pie was cooling, I went to shower. The shower I use in our rental is right next to the kitchen. Turned the water on, waited for it to warm up and got in. However I was thinking, "Gee, the water doesn't seem to be draining all that well."

Got my hair washed and part of me washed and realized I'd better get out because by now the water in the shower was almost past my ankles and any further, it would be splashing out of the shower. The dang shower took over almost 2 hours to drain! (And yes the first thing I checked was to see if there was hair covering the drain.)

It's now Friday afternoon, and right now I'm sitting here listening to the plumbers in the bathroom. They've been here for over an hour trying to get past whatever the blockage is that is causing our water to back up and what caused the sink to explode yesterday.

Our housekeeper is also here today which is a good thing because they are bringing up dirty sludge into the shower. I'm just hoping they figure it out and fix it before she has to leave. Right now, my wonderful housekeeper is in the kitchen making sure I didn't miss any spots of peel on the cabinets. She tells me I did.

Today I can laugh at it. Yesterday it wasn't quite so humorous.

Comments (32)

• 6 years ago

Oh, my! My old boss said that every Thanksgiving some relative causes similar results in her kitchen with potatoe peels. I'm glad it didn't land in the apple pie!

Love your storytelling! :)

cpartist thanked Cheryl Hewitt
  • 6 years ago

You painted a very vivid picture. I could feel your pain and bewilderment, but was highly amused anyway. I hope the drain is cleared by now.

cpartist thanked happy2b…gw
  • 6 years ago

Thanks guys. It's now 2 hours later. The plumbers were heard muttering how they've never seen anything like this to the building supervisor. Their tools are still all over the bathroom floor. The shower floor is not fit for man or beast.

Right after the plumber walked all over the kitchen floor my housekeeper just cleaned, she decided she had to leave to pick up her son and would come back here at 4 to finish up. Except now the plumbers are no where to be found (tools still here) and it's after 3 pm already. (We think we hear them scraping away in the apartment below us.)

Frankly, I have the gym at 3:30 and a massage at 4:30. I'm hoping when I get back at 5:45, I'll have a clean kitchen, bathroom and a working shower because trust me having to use the shower in the master is worse. It has absolutely no water pressure!

PS: Yes this is the stuff of legends in years to come, but do I really need to be a legend in my own time?

• 6 years ago

I'm kinda thinking you might not come home to the vision you describe... but hoping I'm wrong!

"...having to use the shower in the master is worse. It has absolutely no water pressure!"

All I can add is: it would beat a 'spit bath from the sink'... oh wait, you've not got the sink back yet, have you? Enjoy your massage... you deserve it! I'd skip the work-out today though, were it me!

cpartist thanked 2ManyDiversions
  • 6 years ago

cp, I'm so sorry this happened to you. Quelle horreur!!! But when you got to the apple core part, I thought, this will not end well. I'm a huge fan of garbage disposals and would not be without one, but they aren't Deep Throat. But of course you know that by now.

cpartist thanked Bunny
  • 6 years ago

It could always be worse...the plumbing explosion could have been the toilets, spewing out of the sink drain, the shower drain, and of course from the toilets themselves all over the floor and walls. :P

cpartist thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
  • 6 years ago

LOL! Yeah, I'm the idiot who hit the like on the thread! I thought... can I un-hit that? Will cp think I'm glad this happened? Will cp understand I enjoyed her story, not the horror show? ...she knows us : - )

• 6 years ago

I am sorry that this happened to you.

Yesterday at Thanksgiving dinner, we all talked about our plumbing disasters of recent. My most recent happened in the middle of the night and the guy that unplugged near mid might and charged me $500. I thought I got off easy :) Most of us at the dinner live in old houses with old plumbing. One person has septic that is 30 plus years old and needs to replace it this spring after the thaw.

cpartist thanked kaismom
  • 6 years ago

So sorry to hear your plumbing issues, but have to admit my first thought was, glad this happened to you in the rental and not in your new home!

cpartist thanked nhbaskets
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Oh dear, CP. Anything ending in 'and when the plumbers arrived' is not good, although I admit I also laughed at your story.

On Wednesday night, I had some extra pumpkin cheesecake pie filling, so I filled up a 'premade piecrust in its own little pan' that my DD had picked up because they were on sale. Baked it, set it on counter, decided I should bake it a leetle bit longer. So, in my hurry to finish up, I slid it over onto the potholder on my left hand, and as I bent to slide it onto the oven rack, the flimsy pan that I really wasn't supporting, bent in two, flew from my hand and landed upside down on the oven door, - sending an explosion of pie filling and broken crust pieces onto the floor, the oven interior, the cabinets, the rangetop, the counter and me. My two mini doxies came rushing into the kitchen and began cleaning the floor. My DH suggested we stick them into the oven, since they were so efficient. Unfortunately, they couldn't reach the drawer fronts.

Having learned my lesson, on Thursday I got up to whip some cream for the remaining pie. My standing mixer bowl had - you guessed it - unused pie filling in it, so I grabbed a metal bowl that I thought I could just hold while the mixer did its thing. I'm still not quite sure what happened, but my finger got hit by the whipper and I tilted the bowl side just enough to allow partly whipped cream to explode across floor, counter, cabinets, wall and me. Luckily the oven door was closed.

cpartist thanked barncatz
  • 6 years ago

So it turns out the pipes were corroded or as DH said, they had a clogged artery. The building was built in 1982. The plumbers finally finished around 4:30 so my wonderful housekeeper said she'd come back tomorrow afternoon to finish and to also clean that shower.

I thought, this will not end well. I'm a huge fan of garbage disposals and would not be without one, but they aren't Deep Throat.

Well it wasn't my fault!

the plumbing explosion could have been the toilets, spewing out of the sink drain, the shower drain, and of course from the toilets themselves all over the floor and walls. :P

Banish the thought. LOL.

Yesterday at Thanksgiving dinner, we all talked about our plumbing disasters of recent. My most recent happened in the middle of the night and the guy that unplugged near mid might and charged me $500. I thought I got off easy :)

Ouch. You did but thankfully for my landlord, it was in the building's walls so she got off even easier.

So sorry to hear your plumbing issues, but have to admit my first thought was, glad this happened to you in the rental and not in your new home!

EXACTLY! LOL

OMG barncatz. I'm sorry but I laughed at your story too. At least your dogs tried to help out. As I said, mine got scared away.

How is your finger?

• 6 years ago

My prior home had the toilet upstairs (the only bathroom) fall through the floor and down to the front hallway after the wax ring (?) broke sometime during the previous owner's renting it out to various tenants for 1 year lease periods. They fixed it well before I came along looking to buy, but I remember being freaked out when I saw the record of this repair and the inspector explained the why.

cpartist thanked Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
  • 6 years ago

Oh cp - I'm so sorry. We had something similar recently which culminated in lots of mumbled curses on both our parts. Is there a countdown in days for when you can move in to your lovely new home?

cpartist thanked oldbat2be
  • 6 years ago

I didn't even try not to laugh, as 2Many did. (she's better than me, there, I said it) I just busted out laughing right off the bat. The visual of you with the water and apple bits falling off you and your glasses was too much. Such a great description. It's like I was right there, almost. ;) SO glad we are all laughing about it today! ;)

It kinda reminds me of the time I went to shake the bottle of Italian dressing and one of the kids failed to screw the lid back on, at all. Yeah, I imagine your face looked like mine in that instant. lol

p.s. Bless your housekeeper!

barncats, stay out of the kitchen! ;)

cpartist thanked beth09
  • 6 years ago

Oh cp - I'm so sorry. We had something similar recently which culminated in lots of mumbled curses on both our parts. Is there a countdown in days for when you can move in to your lovely new home?

Oldbat I wish I had a move in date. The latest is my foreman is on vacation 12/20-01/03 so DH and I booked a cruise from 12/21-01/05.

They just ripped up the living/dining/kitchen floors because the floor guy never leveled the floor and it sloped over 1" in 10' in places.

That's ok Beth09. I laughed at barncatz trials.

It kinda reminds me of the time I went to shake the bottle of Italian dressing and one of the kids failed to screw the lid back on, at all. Yeah, I imagine your face looked like mine in that instant. lol

I'll take water and apple peels over oil and vinegar any day.

• 6 years ago

I am just so glad that the spewed mess stayed out of the apple pie that you had made. Did that last apple make it into the pie? I'll bet the pie tasted good.

Yea, and ok, I laughed at the story as well.

cpartist thanked blfenton
  • 6 years ago

I am just so glad that the spewed mess stayed out of the apple pie that you had made.

Some of you might remember when I posted about how awful the kitchen here in the rental is. You can see in the pics that this is one time I'm glad for this dysfunctional kitchen! Since there is really no room next to the horrible sink, I had to instead use the peninsula across from the sink to prepare and put together the pie. The pie was spared of any spewed bits.

Did that last apple make it into the pie? I'll bet the pie tasted good.

bifenton, yes that last apple made it into the pie. LOL. And yes, the pie was good. Too bad I didn't take a picture but mostly it's gone now.

• 6 years ago
    Oh dear CP. I'm imagining your dog's narrative of this all lol
    cpartist thanked Najeebah
  • 6 years ago

Najeebah, that's hilarious! I'll have my minidoxies get in touch.

cp, a cruise sounds brilliant at this point in your saga. Fingers crossed it's totally zen for you. My finger is fine, except for the burn between my thumb and index finger. Apparently my mini has been using my oven mitt as a chew toy and the hole was only revealed when I lifted a hot pan out of the oven. Which means beth09 is so right!

cpartist thanked barncatz
  • 6 years ago

Thanks for being brave enough to admit to the chaos. Hope everything's back to normal, and you'll be enjoying the next round of holiday baking in your new kitchen (with no plumbing surprises).

cpartist thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • 6 years ago

The latest is my foreman is on vacation 12/20-01/03. Oh no, I'm assuming this means you won't be in before 2018 and no CO? I'm so very sorry. I'd hoped not to hear this news.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The photo of the batwing sink was all I needed to see. How could anything be worse than that? I thought to myself. Oh dear, but it was. Heart going out to you. These things always seem to happen at the holidays. But it will be such a good story at next year's Thanksgiving dinner!

cpartist thanked friedajune
  • 6 years ago

Oh dear CP. I'm imagining your dog's narrative of this all lol

You wouldn't believe what my Mom just did. She scared the c**p out of me. Here I was hanging around the kitchen waiting for any scraps. She always gives me apple scraps. I mean what was she thinking? All of a sudden there was this big boom and things started flying. I got myself out of there pronto.

I mean, I know I'm supposed to stick around to protect her, but it's one thing to bark at strange people and make sure they won't hurt my Mom. It's quite another thing when things explode. When I saw her later, she actually tasted kinda good. I did enjoy licking her head, glasses and hair.

My finger is fine, except for the burn between my thumb and index finger. Apparently my mini has been using my oven mitt as a chew toy and the hole was only revealed when I lifted a hot pan out of the oven. Which means beth09 is so right!

barncatz, I think your burnt finger is reason enough to have to stay out of that kitchen for at a minimum the next week. And of course for your troubles, you need to be taken to only the best restaurants for dinner.

Thanks Mamagoose. I took the chicken way out tonight. I'm making ceviche for dinner. Nothing to cook and any scraps are going in the garbage for now.

The latest is my foreman is on vacation 12/20-01/03. Oh no, I'm assuming this means you won't be in before 2018 and no CO? I'm so very sorry. I'd hoped not to hear this news.

No CO although they are looking into whether or not Hurricane Irma is allowing us an extra month. Keep your fingers crossed because they swear to me they can get me a CO by January. I'm not holding my breath and it's not a done deal with Tallahassee regarding them allowing us to get the exemptions.

The photo of the batwing sink was all I needed to see. How could anything be worse than that?

Well that's what I thought last year when we first moved into this rental. Boy did I find out the other day!

I thought to myself. Oh dear, but it was. Heart going out to you. These things always seem to happen at the holidays. But it will be such a good story at next year's Thanksgiving dinner!

Actually it was a good story at this years Thanksgiving dinner. :)

• 6 years ago

Lol. Sounds like a typical day around here. I’m reading your post thinking f***ing apples! Hoping you are in your fabulous new place soon and are sharing pics of my dream kitchen!

cpartist thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • 6 years ago

real life...nothing better. I am glad to know I am not the only one silly stuff happens to and that all ended up well for you.

cpartist thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    "she actually tasted kinda good" lol
    cpartist thanked Najeebah
  • 6 years ago

Hysterical CP! Glad the pie was okay.

cpartist thanked rebunky
  • 6 years ago

Lol. Sounds like a typical day around here. I’m reading your post thinking f***ing apples! Hoping you are in your fabulous new place soon and are sharing pics of my dream kitchen!

Yep those f-ing apples. LOL. House is taking longer than expected due to lots of mistakes.

real life...nothing better. I am glad to know I am not the only one silly stuff happens to and that all ended up well for you.

I'm lucky when stuff doesn't happen to me. LOL.

Hysterical CP! Glad the pie was okay.

I knew I had to clean up the pie stuff, but I also knew my housekeeper was coming the next day and it irked me I had to basically clean everywhere she'd be cleaning the next day anyway. Oh well.

• 6 years ago

LOL!
    I'm at work and can't really comment. Remind me to tell you the story about the time I tried to grind up and use chocolate covered espresso beans in my Krups espresso machine. Talk about an explosion!

cpartist thanked CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
  • 6 years ago

Oh definitely don't forget to tell us CEF. LOL.

• 6 years ago

"Keep your fingers crossed because they swear to me they can get me a CO by January." Consider it done : - )