Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
korey_rowntree

Need Advice on Which White to Use for Cabinets in Kitchen.

6 years ago

We are in the process of designing our kitchen in our new build and we have decided to go with White cabinets and a dark stained island. Our floors are dark hardwood, and our hardware is a rubbed oil bronze finish. We are looking for a warm white that doesn't look too yellow.

I've been attracted to the White Dove by Benjamin Moore but the lady at the paint store didn't recommend it. Has anyone used White Dove and have any advice for us? Would we also paint our ceilings and trim this colour as well? Any help or advice would be so appreciated!! :) THANKS :)

These are some photos of the look I'm going for :)

Comments (19)

• 6 years ago

That's good to know!! Thank you!

Do you find it has a yellow tone to it??

• 6 years ago

Pretty inspiration pictures. The white should also be chosen in context of the rest of your hard finishes and home decor. I would recommend reading Maria Killam's blog (example below), and possibly doing a color consultation.

http://www.mariakillam.com/white-kitchen-cabinets/

• PRO
    6 years ago

If your kitchen has north light, don’t paint the cabinets White Dove. It goes gray and dirty looking.

I am of the mind set to paint white cabinets the same as the white that is going on the woodwork.

Looking for a warm, rich white, give Acadia White a chance.

• 6 years ago
    All of the trim and doors in my home are painted White Dove. All sides of my house have windows and I have never detected a yellow hue or "dinginess" in any of the rooms.
  • 6 years ago

White Dove is one of the most popular whites in Houzz photos. I used it for the trim in my renovated kitchen, which faces east and think it looks like a soft white with no negative undertones. Read designer Martha O'Hara's comments on white dove in answer to a question.

And from Patrick Sutton:
    Lighting has a big impact on the perception of color, so be careful with your selection.

• 6 years ago

i love Greek Villa. we have a white farmhouse and we've used it for woodwork throughout the house and for the exterior i don't see creaminess anywhere and we've had people stop and ask us what color the exterior is....

• 6 years ago

Ask on the kitchen forum.

• 6 years ago

I had my cabinetmakers make a sample door for me in White Dove since it is a very popular and well loved color here on Houzz. I am building new and I like slightly creamier/warmish colors. I took the door to my under construction house and it definitely was not my color. It was too white and did not look good with my prepainted Marvin windows and NE light as someone mentioned above.

i ended up choosing BM Swiss Coffee. Although some people say it has a grayish tone, I don't see it. I love this color in my house. Nice neutral that is just a little off white.

Good luck. This was a very tough decision for me.

• 6 years ago

Korey- they don't look yellow. I'd say softer not stark white. I have a north facing kitchen. I think the color is stunning and would use it again. Look at photos with white dove kitchens.

• 6 years ago

We are going with snow white.

• 6 years ago

All of the trim in our house plus our kitchen cabinets are Benjamin Moore Mayonnaise (OC-85). It's definitely towards the off-white side of white more than a bright white, and is really soft. It works beautifully in our house.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We are doing Greek Villa by SW on our kitchen cabinets, trim, and interior doors. I wanted something that wasn’t bright white and leaned to the warm side, but wasn’t “buttery.” I’ve started seeing it in my house as materials are installed and I am very happy with it!

• PRO
    6 years ago

See if they offer Spilt Spaghetti Sauce White as a standard color?

• 6 years ago

Mark...that might have too much of the reddish tones ;-)

• 6 years ago

I used BM Simply White for all the trim/doors in my house and a bathroom vanity. Many GW'ers have used it for their kitchen cabinets. It is a bright white, but not stark.

• 6 years ago

We had our cabinets at our beach house painted with BM White Dove. Beautiful and not yellow at all! The rest of the colors in the room are cool and it looks great. The countertop is white ice granite, white subway tile backsplash and wood look greyish tile floors and SW Sea Salt on the walls. It looks great!

• 6 years ago

do you have an option to see the color first in your space, with your other selections if possible?

say our cabinet maker made 4 samples for us..

(I didn't like any lol even though I myself chose the colors. They were beautiful, but looked wrong, put vertically. Luckily he had another eight or so samples from previous jobs and was kind enough to let me have them for a week or even more. I was dragging these samples around like a monkey with her glasses..turning them, putting in this light, that light...In the end I went with somebody else's custom color. I didn't pick between whites, but I'm not sure picking between whites is easier. Light and surrounding materials change your perception of color)

• 6 years ago

Before you definitely decide on a cabinet color, what are you using for a counter top. That will influence what color white you will use. All of your decisions need to be made collectively, not one at a time.