Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta J 2017

Great fur buddies everyone. Hosta J today for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Go Jags. lol

I thought this was cute.

Comments (52)

• 6 years ago

Jimmy Crack Corn

Juha

Jessica Alba

• 6 years ago

Good ones Paula!

Janet Day early June and then July.

Jaws - I really, really like this one.

Jubilee

June needs to have all her seedlings moved so that she can show off.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Paula- I love that tee shirt photo... that actually gives me a gift idea.

Kathy- your June is pretty, but I know what you mean about it... mine is also very slow. Two years ago I had it planted in a very sunny spot and It looked bleached out and ratty, in addition to being ravaged by bunnies. So I lifted it and grew it on in a pot for a while... this summer I planted it in a semi-shady spot. I’ll try to leave it alone now and see what happens. I agree- there are always such beautiful pictures of June... and I look at mine and wonder “where’s the beef?” At least it’s not all bleached out any more, and I’ve pretty-well taken care of my bunny problem. Photo taken in September:

I also have Journey’s End, and I was impressed with its growth and appearance this first season, but apparently I didn’t take a picture.

• 6 years ago

Only a few leaves but I hope it will look better this year.

I had June in a sunny place and I like it this way. Nevertheless I want a second one for shade because it is also beautiful when it's darker. Maybe I can divide it in spring.

• 6 years ago

Karin- that is a beautiful June! I think the sun in my location is probably stronger than where you are. When I say mine was bleached out, I mean it was pretty-much fried. And it was new that year too, so maybe it just didn’t have time to acclimate properly. Between sunburn and rabbit damage... it looked like a goner. So now it just looks “blah”... but I’ll give it time and patience. I too like all the variations of June in different kind of light.

• 6 years ago

Ha, that cat has a look, like my cat, when I put a harness and leash on it. Mostly just looked up at me like, WTH?!!

Two J's I have good pics of:
    June

Jetstream, this one holds its blue the longest, in my garden.

• 6 years ago

Jack of Diamonds
    Jade Cascade
    Jaz
    Jetstream
    Jewel of the Nile
    Journeys End
    Joy Ride
    June
    June Fever
    Justine

• 6 years ago

Although I have only two J's they happen to be my husband's favorite:

June

and my favorite:

Journey's End, before and after the hail.

Journey's End is on the left.

• 6 years ago

Journey's End looks like another must-have.

Sunnywood, thanks for the pic of June Fever, helped me make up my mind on that one... added.

• 6 years ago

Beverly, what might the dark green plant by the tree, be? Looks interesting.

• 6 years ago

I have Junes in several spots..2 pics from 2 spots taken mid fall..jealous of you whose Junes have more sun and prettier color..would love to have Joy Ride..love wavy edges and I love blue..Joy Ride is perfect for me..

• 6 years ago

June Fever, two seasons here.
    June, added fall of 2016. You all said it likes sun so she is in the sun from early morning till 2:00 pm, did not burn, such nice color.

Sherry

• 6 years ago

Paula, I am really enjoying the cartoons. Lots of chuckles!!

Three photos of my June - I love her lots!!

Juha - an unusual sport of Striptease. Karin, I think this is a nice addition to our collection.

Joyride - From the photos posted, I think this hosta will be a "joy" to have in my garden. New last year.

ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida thanked DelawareDonna Zone 7A
  • 6 years ago

zKathy, I like that Jiminy Cricket. It's really cute and bonus: a cute name.

StevePA, your June is drool-worthy. What is that planted to the right of it?

I have June. Here she is in July (June in July, ha!) right next to Luna Moth.

P.S. My maternal grandmother's name is June. I planted this one for her. I want to plant Whiskey Sour for my paternal grandmother because her favorite cocktail was a bourbon whiskey sour on the rocks. I think of her every time I see that hosta here.

• 6 years ago

Donna,I already added Juha to my 2019 list.

It is interesting that not a single leaf of this hosta looks the same.

Does anybody grow Japangirl?

• 6 years ago

Steve. Thanks for the complement. The tall plant is a martagon lily. I thought it would just fill the niche between Journey's End and Pineapple Upsidedown Cake but its doing so well it obscures the view of Journey's End from our patio.

• 6 years ago

Beverly- I’m so glad to see a picture of a martagon lily... I have searched for photos of the whole plant, but all I could ever find were pics of the flowers, which are lovely and interesting... but it’s important to know how the foliage grows and looks too. That’s much more substantial than I would have expected. I do like the really dark dark green of it too. So- was that just one plant that makes up the clump? Looks like the leaves have an interesting shape...?

• 6 years ago

Donna, beautiful Junes!

Sunnywood, love your Jack of Diamonds - I have never seen it for sale around here and I don't see it often on this site either. Good job.

Here are my Js

June Fever in April - a few all green leaves need to be removed.
    June Fever in May - leaves have grown more interesting as she has matured.

June in lots of shade - love the blueish waxy coating.

• 6 years ago

Popmama, the plant next to June is a red flowering trillium. I had a small patch for years, and suddenly it's growing like a weed now that I spread it around a little.

Wow! Beverly, I've never seen a martagon clump that impressive before. Nice!

• 6 years ago

OOPS! I don't have Joy Ride. I have Restless Sea. Very similar.

• 6 years ago

Janet

Jewel of the Nile

Jaws.....coming along nicely

June Spirit

• 6 years ago

Mbug that’s a mighty weird JotN!

• 6 years ago

Jumping for Joy for the Jacksonville Jaguars!!..congratulations..was a fun game..

ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • 6 years ago

Funny pics, Paula. My cat would never wear a tee. That's really cold when ghosts freeze, lol.

Steve, I've seen that look before when I used a harness to walk my last kitty.

beverly, hail makes a mess of things, but your photos are still showing nice hostas.

Lots of pretty "J's" Joy Ride is a cutie.

Jack of Diamonds

Jack of Diamonds with its shy flowers that like to hide under the leaves.

Jimmy Crack Corn

Jimmy Crack Corn in August. Turns whiter in (some) sun instead of burning.

Journey's End with some frost damage. It will color up more later.

June (I have to pull that blue eye if it comes back)

June Fever

• 6 years ago

Yet another June....cant have too many Junes!

• 6 years ago

This clump from a Connecticut garden is what prompted me to get a Joyride last year.

• 6 years ago

I can't believe I didn't take a picture of my new Junes! As I recall, they have been slow starters and I guess maybe I was waiting later in the season to take their picture and then just forgot.

Here are my Junes when I got them, April 2016. I hope they grow into their roots this year. :)

• 6 years ago

Sandy - Jack of Diamonds is a beauty!!

• 6 years ago

June has always done well for me. I think I have four good size clumps three large reversions and a few newer divisions. All from one original plant several years ago. Most of my garden is heavy shade so they are all similar.

June

June Spirit

Jewel of the Nile

June divided in early spring with its reversion

• 6 years ago

red flowering trillium -- need!

• 6 years ago

Jade Cascade and a highly decorative water tank lol.

I need a Journeys End.

• 6 years ago

Popmama, any chance you're coming to the Philly convention? You practically drive by my house (15 miles south of the PA turnpike) to get there. I could give some to you.

• 6 years ago

Beverly in MN, what is the yellow hosta in the lower right corner of your H. June pic?

Beautiful J's, everyone! <3

• 6 years ago

Steve. . I very much doubt it. I was just in Pittsburgh at Thanksgiving. Maybe you can mail me some in the spring. I looked online and they are pretty pricey to buy.

• 6 years ago

Nice roots on that June littlebug.

I also saw Joy Ride on a garden tour and just had to have it. So now I have two.

I have several Junes:

Paula your jokes are fantastic! So cute and funny!

• 6 years ago

newhostalady, i love love your june with the Japanese maple spilling over it and that delicate forget-me-not on the side. What a nice combination of textures.

• 6 years ago

no J hosta pics..but here's a Joke (sort of)..

• 6 years ago

Everybody Loves June

June in spring

June in summer

Dave

• 6 years ago

My Junes in June. Moved them all the way to the back this past year, and will likely have to move 'em again since they ended up being hardly visible from astilbe and all. Three of these are divisions of my first June, and the 4th is a new June. They grew well for me in full Northern exposure sun (now they're in mostly shade, for a change). Gave some divisions to a relative where they're in full Southern exposure sun, and those stay smaller and with much thinner margins. Prior to that, had a couple of divisions near our small dogwood tree, and those too stayed small.

• 6 years ago

What Jazzy J's shown here. I love all the pictures of June, she looks so different from garden to garden.

Here are my J's

June in a shady spot in June.

June in a sunnier spot in August

June Fever in June new in 2017

June Fever in August. I am loving this hosta.

Jurassic Park in August, new in 2017.

• 6 years ago

Steve and popamama- I'm going to Philly convention, Would like to meet forum friends there. Mbug, how about you???

• 6 years ago

One of the only photos I got where there are some J's-- Jurassic Park exploded this year and June next to it.

• 6 years ago

Happy to see you back stoc. Gorgeous!

• 6 years ago

PP, that host next to June is May. Here is my grouping of June, May and Great Escape. They are all related. However they are in a raised bed so one must climb up on the wall (only 18") to really enjoy them so they are getting moved so I can view them from above.

• 6 years ago

Beautiful grouping Beverly!

• 6 years ago

Thanks Beverly, that is a beautiful trio indeed! I thought H. May is supposed to be a lot shorter though? Love the wide edge on your H. June--looks almost like Touch of Class. Wish one of my Junes had that wide blue edge! I don't have Great Escape, but it looks close enough to Blue Ivory which is one of my favs :)

• 6 years ago

Joyride, Jetstream and Jessica Alba - what rock have I been living under? I've never seen these plants and now they have stirred up some serious hosta cravings. I may have to make an order this year afterall.

Meanwhile here are a few of my J's.

A note to myself. This plant burns on the edges and needs to be moved.

The first Julie Morss is mine. The second is my sisters. There is some magic at work in her garden because this plant stays variegated all summer.

• 6 years ago

Mctavish, what is your sister feeding those things??? They look amazing. You must live on Mackinac Island or something. Those hostas are huge and so green!