Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bettenoire

Thoughts on my spring order, please

6 years ago

Hi,

Made another order to Tuincentrum Lottum and they are now soaking in a rain barrel from our abundant winter rains. Too wet to plant out yet.

The internet tells me I´m somewhere between Z8b and 9a in NW Spain, which is taking some getting used to, as I grew up in Wisconsin and lived for years outside Chicago. I´d say roughly the equivalent of PNW or SW UK.

I always over-order, partly because shipping is the same up to 25 roses, at least that´s my current excuse. I´m looking for cut flowers mostly, so my plan is to plant pretty closely. Any general thoughts on the following, like prefers afternoon shade, gets big, stays small, octopus arms, slow grower, etc?

A Whiter Shade of Pale - 2

Abraham Darby

Alabaster

Artemis

Auguste Luise - 2

Perdita

Chandos Beauty - 2

Evelyn - 2

Frederic Mistral

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Lady Emma Hamilton

Lady of Shallot

Liparfum

Princess A. of Kent

Purple Lodge

Queen of Sweden

Solero

St. Cecilia

The Pilgrim

Wollerton Old Hall

Yves Piaget

You will notice a certain amount of enabling from the forum has happened!

Thank you all in advance.

Comments (7)

• 6 years ago

Chandos Beauty has a gorgeous smell and look, but it can be bothered by thrips.

Carol

bettenoire thanked rosecanadian
  • 6 years ago

Wow. You have some great ones coming.

Evelyn is a favorite of mine and she enjoys warm weather so I think she’ll do well for you.

Solero is great, a small rose stays short similar to the drift roses in size. Good for a pot.

yves Piaget is a beauty I have one coming in spring from RU

lady emma Hamilton is a beautiful rose her young growth is very purplish which contrasts beautifully with the orange blooms. She also smells divine.

saint Cecilia has very pretty blooms and the traditional murh fragrance associated with old roses

wollerton old hall was very healthy for me, but I didn’t care too much for the light tea color. For some it’s more white but for me it was an odd tan that I didn’t like

enjoy your roses

bettenoire thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • 6 years ago

As you have experienced from life outside Chicago, rose growing in Spain will be a totally different and hopefully more fulfilling experience for cutting roses. I'll wipe the drool off my keyboard and give you a general sense of growth patterns for the roses I grow among your list, since I grow or have grown most of them that are accessible here (never heard of Liparfum but it sounds like it would be good cut).

Roses that will probably be tall for you (which is more than "tall" was in Chicago):

Frederick Mistral

Queen of Sweden (like Lily said, very narrow growth habit)

St. Cecilia

Abraham Darby (though it's wildly variably here - mine never topped knee height but a friend across town has a very bushy 6X6' plant there)

Roses that will probably be relatively short for you:

Lady of Shalott

Solero

Purple Lodge (wider than tall, grows in sprawl pattern)

Princess A. of Kent (but it has long canes and loves to sprawl)

I have grown the following in part sun/part shade and they don't bloom as often but tolerate it OK (notably all Austins and shrubs, HTs like sun):

Queen of Sweden

St. Cecilia

Abraham Darby

Lady of Shalott

Best/most frequent bloomers for me:

Lady of Shalott

Solero

St. Cecilia

Princess A of Kent (though young and still gaining her footing)

I haven't grown: A Whiter Shade of Pale, Alabaster, Artemis, J.W. von Goethe, Liparfum. The ones I haven't listed above were either marginally hardy for me, relatively new (e.g. Wollerton Old Hall), or medium height and OK bloom for me (e.g. The Pilgrim).

Obviously things will differ in your zone, but that's my experience. Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun, and we want pictures of course when they get good and settled in.

Cynthia

bettenoire thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 6 years ago

Wow, you have some really cool roses coming. I can't wait for pictures

bettenoire thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 6 years ago

My Purple Lodge here wants to be tall too, I think. These warmer climates it would be nice to give them some room. Looks like a fabulous batch!

bettenoire thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

Thank you all so much!

Based on your advice and a look through Helpmefind, I´m going to separate out Abe, The Pilgrim,and PAOK to give them a little more room and take my chances on the rest on 2-3 foot centers in full sun and see how they do.

I´m off to read the organic rose forum again, to organize supplies for planting when the time comes. They´ve predicted a solid week of sun!

Thanks again.