Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cclementine

Plant/Design Recommendations Requested for "Half Circle" Area

6 years ago

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions as to what I should plant/how to design this area that is part of my patio. My patio is certainly lacking shade, though I do not necessarily expect to solve that issue with this area here. Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (13)

• 6 years ago

One ornamental tree in the center with interesting branching structure (crape myrtle, weeping cherry, a clump of 3 white birches, etc.). Plant it closer to the sidewalk so it has room. Then a creeping yew for ground cover and maybe a couple of other small evergreens toward the ends (holly, maybe).

• 6 years ago

I think pretty, bright pastels when I see your grey shake siding.

A romantic cottage garden would be lovely. I like this one but I'm not a huge fan of ornamental grasses in this type of application so I would try to tuck a hydrangea or peony in there, and some roses :)

Back garden planting with large boulder · More Info

• 6 years ago

Oh, I just did something similar but much smaller. I used rocks and gravel to meander a path through the area and planted a beautiful arching type Japanese Maple. Use a few big rocks/boulders for accent and some garden art of some sort, some creeping ground covers- think succulents or sedums. You don’t have room for birches there- don’t make the mistake of planting something that will outgrow the space and require constant pruning and leaves in your gutters and a mess on the roof. your path and grass look really nice. Too dark for pics tonight, I will add some tomorrow.

• 6 years ago

I don’t have a lot of advice other than don’t overplant the area. Look closely at plant tags and take mature size into consideration (especially on ornamental trees). Less is more.

I also want to say that your stonework looks great! It both blends and contrasts with your home. I love it!

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

You don't have room for a tree. Bigger shrubs will take over the space in a few years. Plenty of garden catalogues have plans for semi-circle gardens. You can look at the pics of the plants, too. Magazines have them, too.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plans/easy/15-no-fuss-garden-plans/?slideId=slide_e1f76fd8-f1a6-4c7e-befa-6be053629cb3#slide_e1f76fd8-f1a6-4c7e-befa-6be053629cb3

• 6 years ago

Do you have kids? A dog? This may impact what you put there. Do you want something aromatic? I could see some lovely roses (mr Lincoln are deep red with upright habit and can be cut and brought in. But they have significant thorns so you may not want that.

I think small compact shrubs like boxwoods with something vertical to highlight the area in the center would be nice. Maybe even some ornamental grasses.

Depends on your style and lifestyle.

• 6 years ago

Thank you, all, for your comments on this. @dlnd2012, good point. Those are very important factors. I have small kids and a dog.

• 6 years ago

I like the lush look. Get a wise nursery person to help you plan plantings to achieve this richness in a few years.

Resort Living · More Info

Front Yard Renovation · More Info

• 6 years ago

Deco, these were the kinds of pictures I was hunting unsuccessfully for to illustrate my comment! Beautiful.

I think I filtered too narrowly. :)

• 6 years ago

There is plenty of room for a small ornamental tree in that bed!! Something in the 10-15' range would be completely appropriate and provide some necessary height or verticality to that location. A weeping redbud or cherry, small Japanese maple or flowering crab or a tree-form hydrangea would look great there. Or do some research into "patio trees" - these are not really trees at all but usually flowering shrubs that have bee trained into a tree-like form and are intended for small planting areas like patio beds. Ninebarks, hydrangeas, lilacs, dappled willow or a vast number of dwarf conifers can work in this situation.

• 6 years ago

Thank you for creating mock ups, Miz G!

• 6 years ago
    I always say you need to include dogwood!