Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelazottolodesigns

French provincial furniture getting in the way

What to do when your client wants to update their master bedroom but doesn’t want to replace their French provincial furniture? I thought about having it painted but, I’m sure they won’t want to go for that. Any suggestions?

Comments (29)

• 6 years ago

Doesn’t a good designer work with tastes of their client? Maybe to her “update” doesn’t mean modern or new but rather a refresh.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Yes, but she specifically said she wants the room to feel contemporary so maybe I’ll update it with a new color palette and bring in some navy and gold colors that can work well with that pecan color.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

And unless this is heirloom quality furniture, you may still want to talk to clients about painting. Give them the pros and cons, show them your vision. It would be like band new furniture that still has their look. If they don't care for it, fine. But it's an option you're thinking, so don't be afraid to explore.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked Laurie Schrader
  • 6 years ago

Client is the boss. Maybe you should start by asking what she means by update. In her world, new paint might be modernizing enough, yet she thinks she needs a professional. If you hate her surroundings, do yourself and the lady a favor and let somebody else do the job. Neither one of you deserves to be unhappy about this project.

it could also be as simple as lady has taste for sh@t, but any way you look at it, she is the boss.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked bossyvossy
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Not knowing the color of the wood, I am guessing it is the lighter fruitwood stain.

How about a darker wall, in a striking color:

Add linen bedding:

Natashaly Damask Bedding Sham Navy, Standard · More Info
    Then paint the ceiling:

I see you are not calling yourself a “pro”. That’s fine; there are some people who can share their talents. Just be careful, should you be new to this, that you don’t advise your clients to paint furniture they don’t want to paint, and have the results not make them happy.

Not seeing navy and gold with French Provincial.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    6 years ago

That’s about right on the color of her furniture! Looks like we’re on the same wave length about a striking wall color. I was thinking about Phillipsburg Blue from Benjamin Moore.

• 6 years ago

How about white and add modern treatments with mirrors and a fun ceiling treatment and texture with the fluffy throw.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 6 years ago
    Not fond of the blue personally, reminds me more of Williamsburg rather than something frenchy. What color does she have now?
    Angela Zottolo Designs thanked hummingalong2
  • 6 years ago

I wonder if they would be open to a tone on tone, almost shabby chic look?

Flea Market Chic · More Info

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I was thinking a blue since the wood finish on the furniture reads rusty brown. Imagine caramel leather color. They had a terra-cotta wall that coordinated with the bedding but its now white after a wall repair.

• 6 years ago

I'd recommend you ask her what she means by "contemporary." Get her to show you some photos of what she wants, don't rely on the assumption that she knows the definition of technical terms.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • 6 years ago

I like the look of those acrylic chairs. You could use those as side chairs or with a vanity, gives a fresh update.

• 6 years ago

Is that her room you just posted? Don’t paint the furniture. You have been given a challenge: update. Start with fabulous fabrics, new lamps, a bench for the foot of the bed, antique gold accents. Reupholster the chair. Pick one thing to paint, max, like the chair. Layer textures. Actual art not some matchy crap you find on wayfair. You started in the 80s an update should be a cinch. Wallpaper? Grass cloth if she is timid.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked greenfish1234
  • 6 years ago

For some reason couldn’t submit photos before:

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked greenfish1234
  • 6 years ago
    You've got a tough job there... I think I'd chose some luxury bedding first, and then look at paint colors to go with it.
    Angela Zottolo Designs thanked hummingalong2
  • 6 years ago

Is that the client room above? If so,you could ask her about a classic blue/cream direction (avec some toile,if she likes) and it will look "contemporary",as in not stuck in the americo-tuscan 1990's past. My guess is that she wants the space lighter and more current. Get her to show you pics of rooms she likes....maybe she will even come around to painting some furniture. Is she up for changing her floors?

Bronxville · More Info

My Houzz: Metropolitan Chic in Boston's Tony Back Bay · More Info

Decorating with Carpets: Bedrooms · More Info

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked hollybar
  • 6 years ago

What a cool challenge! She probably spent a fortune on her furniture and she or Hubs just cannot see painting it! Just guessing here.......but I think there are so many whisper colors or griege, etc. I tried to find pics where the walls and the fabric were dreamy but definitely different and soft looking....also colors that will hide dirt or perceived dirt that the client can live with......I know much of the wood in the pic is limed but it can still work with her fruitwood finish I think....just something to think about and see if it can be proposed in a positive win win way.

This is pretty much a new Ethan Allen bed style

Flea Market Chic · More Info

Light bright walls...maybe alabaster oragami white cloud all by Sherwin Williams......

Sabine's Interior Design, Inc. · More Info

Bright linen colored walls with vivid furnishing for a fresh modern look; could be any color but pure.

Sabine's Interior Design, Inc. · More Info

Soft blush colors

A Complete Home Makeover · More Info

Monochromatic modern French Country with linen, and oiled matte woods

Turner · More Info

Whisper colors in all shades of green....effective, and the plants add that outdoor feel to the room; very freshening. Courage...you know more than she does......

Woodland 1 · More Info

• PRO
    6 years ago

The French provincial furniture looks very nice--you do not need to paint it. Replace the wall-to-wall carpet with an area rug if there is hardwood underneath; if not, replace with seagrass carpeting. Definitely get new bedding--a custom made bedskirt, fluffy duvet, fine linen sheets with an embroidered edge, some great shams and accent pillows. New lamp and shade. We can't see the rest of the room, but probably new window treatments. Also, instead of paint, maybe wallpaper?

Definitely get your client to show you what she likes AND what she doesn't like. Then go from there--the room could be terrific and refreshed without looking like every other "transitional" room with gray painted furniture, walls and bedding.

This beautiful bedroom by Todd Richesin is a great inspiration:

Cashiers · More Info

Cashiers · More Info

• 6 years ago

I'm not a pro but isn't wall color kind of the last thing you pick? Fabrics, rugs, seem like the better place to start. I also don't see why a wall color should match a color or style of wood furniture . I can see certain extremes where stain color needs to be kept in mind but here I think you are putting the cart before the horse. Like, way way before the horse.

• PRO
    6 years ago

The barrel chair painted with a complimentary fabric, new lamps, bedding, artwork, flooring or carpet can transform this space. Post photos when you complete the job. Inspiration of above of wall color and bedding. I like the idea of white walls and a painted ceiling.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked Jodie White Designs
  • PRO
    6 years ago

greenfish is correct--wall color is the last selection.

• PRO
    6 years ago

Contemporary, at least to me, is not a design style, it is simply a word which indicates “of the time”. Maybe you should be thinking “eclectic” instead.

For this room to be “of the time”: new area rug (no wall to wall); new, fresh wall color; new bedding; new accents.

I like this shag because the lines and the tones relate to the French Provincial lines, but is presenting in the contemporary Moroccan look.

Shag Florida Shag Area Rug, Rectangle, Cream, Smoke, 3'3"x5'3" · More Info
    Annie Selke bedding can move right in:

Silvery blue on walls:

Add two mirrors over bureau, instead of just one:

Brayden 41" Arch Mirror Textured Dark Brown · More Info

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Angela,

We would love to see if we could help you out with custom bed pillows, when you get to that stage!

Jeremiah

| Pillows by Dezign |

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked Pillows by Dezign LLC
  • PRO
    5 years ago

Ok everyone, thanks for your suggestions! I'm not so much concerned with picking wall color at this point as how to work with this French Provincial furniture from the 50's. These are tricky clients because getting inspiration photos or design opinions from them is like pulling teeth! I'll need to present photos to extract reactions. The only preferences they could express for the master was "contemporary with color" and the only dislike was the ethnic bohemian look. They're open to removing wall to wall carpet to expose hardwood flooring, new bedding, lamps, wall decor....everything EXCEPT replacing the furniture. It will have to be a balance between old and new. I've done a lot of work for them before and they've hired me again because they say they always like what I present to them so I'll post the results once done. Thanks again everyone!

• 5 years ago

I think all your client means is that she is tired of those colors and that bedding. She trusts you to know what fabrics are currently popular.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked emmarene9
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I'd help her select a beautiful blue or blue-green bedspread and go from there. Nothing too dark or heavy. I definitely wouldn't paint or get rid of that classic furniture.

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked partim
  • 5 years ago

Hahaha! I have furniture pretty much like that and I do not feel it is dated, but rather a hearboard, night stands, and a high bowfront dresser and think it just needs color and new bedding....and modern art work....excited to see what you come up with.....

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked Susan Davis
  • 9 months ago

Well done. Thank you for posting. This shows people how older “brown” furniture of any style can be made appropriate for modern living. Lovely. Light. Airy. Bravo. And, again, thanks for the follow up!

Angela Zottolo Designs thanked ptreckel