Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicalacey

Need help with alternatives to flush mount lighting! kitchen and hall

5 years ago
Hello! I just moved into this home built in ‘99. It’s a pretty basic suburban home, so I’m not trying to maintain any particular architectural style.

I MUST get rid of all of the lights in these photos. The large fluorescent light in the kitchen is going. For the smaller, basic flush mount lights in the kitchen and hallway, I am really struggling to find something I like. I’ve read all of the “modern flush mount lights” articles on Pinterest and they all look just strange to me. I am hoping to find something slightly modern/transitional, nothing crazy or fussy. I was planning on continuing with another flush mount type of light but if you think I can get away with another type, please let me know!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    5 years ago

ah the boob light, builders series lol.

In the kitchen I would much rather see you invest in recessed lighting, lots of contractors will do it as a package price that includes the lights, and I would do the same in the hallway. the ones in the hall can be directional so you can focus them on some pictures you might place there. This is a very simple retrofit for the all away with recessed, and for the most part in the kitchen too. I would be they didn't take down the light when they last painted the ceiling so if you do choose to stay with flush mounts be ready to paint. or go a little wider.

as an alternative, you could do a pendant over the sink a flush mount near the door and semi flush over the middle. I could see a portable island in the centre... you have a lot to think about.

• 5 years ago

What is your budget for new lighting and how many fixtures will it need to cover? There are many semi-flush mount fixtures that emit a lot of light.

• 5 years ago
    Well, I’m trying to get it done for as little as possible. Couple hundred maybe for the three lights (two in kitchen, one in hallway). I’d love to do recessed lighting but suspect I won’t be able to afford the labor to get them installed. One of my friends suggested today that after taking down the large fluorescent light in the kitchen that I just put a “cap” since I don’t really need all those lights in the kitchen. (There are are three recessed lights in there that aren’t pictured). She also suggested a pendant over the sink which I think would look nice.
  • 5 years ago

It may help to price out the lights you have (for comparison) with a big website like lightingdirect.com or lowes.com. I think you'll find that three replacements of similar quality are going to run you more than $200 total. Try prioritizing which ones you really want to replace first, such as installing a pendant over the sink and replacing the hall fixture. The tubes in the fluorescent fixture can be swapped out for LED tubes made just for this kind of retrofitting, at $15 or so dollars each.

• 5 years ago
    So I am leaning towards a pendant over the sink, and replacing the other two lights currently in the kitchen (huge fluorescent one and one in kitchen “hallway”) with recessed lighting.

My dad thinks the loss of the large light in the middle of the kitchen means I should add at least two more recessed lights—he suggested one on either side of the sink. Thoughts???
  • PRO
    5 years ago

not on either side of the sink, but yes you do need to recess more than two in kitchen, a total of 5-6 would be best

• PRO
    5 years ago

So Im not sure where the lights are in the kitchen that are not pictured. if you show us those I can do the layout for you.

• 5 years ago
    Ok I’ll upload a pic of the whole kitchen later. Thank you!!
  • 5 years ago
    The arrows are where there are existing holes/wiring for lighting. I want all to be recessed except the one over the sink; I’d like a pendant there. I took a second photo of the room without the current recessed lights on as well.
  • 5 years ago

If you prefer the look of recessed "can" lights, there are some great retrofit options these days. These install like regular surface-mount fixtures, but they are ultra-slim and look very similar to a can light. And they are quite reasonably priced too.

Of course, if you want more than one fixture in a location that previously only had a single fixture, or if you want dimmers in a location that didn't have them, then things get a little more expensive. But this is well within the realm of what a DIY homeowner or a cheap handyman could do.

This doesn't mean that "real" can lights don't make sense in new construction products. But for retrofits, the difference in labor cost favors the ultra-slim lights.

• 5 years ago
    M, that may be the best option as I just learned I don’t have access to my attic over the kitchen. Can you show me an example of this type of retrofitted flush light? I saw one at Home Depot but it was kind of ugly and large.
  • 5 years ago

There are lots of options. Just search for "ultra slim recessed led" on Amazon, and you should get several suggestions. Read the reviews to see which one would work for you. Main differences are color temperature (you probably want around 2700K or 3000K for residential use) and details on where you need to place the LED driver.

I think, I also saw some videos on Youtube showing how to install this lights in different retrofit situations.

• PRO
    5 years ago

im not sure who you talked to about the recessed lighting but you may not need atttic access.

• 5 years ago
    I had an electrician come and give me an access. He said attic access would make it much easier. He said he will have to “fish” the wire through the ceiling between all of the lights. It’s more money than I wanted to spend so if there is any way I can “cheat” with faux recessed lights I’d love to!!!!