Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grabembythegreenthumb

Amsonia tabernaemontana Storm Cloud

I passed yesterday on the Arkansas blue star ( Amsonia hubrichtii) I'd been eyeballing for some time and bought the Storm Cloud variety instead.

I'm debating whether this was a good purchase for me. Does anyone grow this? What are your thoughts on it?

Comments (7)

• 5 years ago

Thanks...I think I'm going to see if they'll let me exchange it for Amsonia hubrichtii. I have a particular place I'll want that next year, and I just can't see to find a spot for Storm Cloud. Most of my moister soil areas are taken up and it sounds like poor soil is not a good option for it. One of the ladies at the greenhouse was adamant that Storm Cloud was the variety to pick, though, so I'm going to think on it for a couple days.

• 5 years ago

I have had the issues Growgirl mentions: yellow leaves, plants that don’t grow and finally die, but with A. hubrichtii. It happened several times with plants from different sources. I now have ‘Halfway to Arkansas’, which does very well for me. It even self sowed a bit this year, and I am curious what those plants will look like next year. In the catalogue of Lost Horizons nursery, there used to be a remark with A. hubrichtii along the lines of “too bad that it is not easier to grow”. I just noticed that they don’t even carry it anymore, only 12 other Amsonias. I know there are people who grow it with ease, but I am not the only one with problems if even LH cannot keep it going.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

In Arkansas, A. hubrichtii is very easy to grow (as expected)...I'd say what it wants is well drained soil and fairly regular weekly or maybe every two weeks watering (if the sky doesn't provide)...and that's about it.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I haven’t grown this cultivar, but have been disappointed in other A. tabernaemontana cultivars because it doesn’t have the foliage texture of A. hubrichtii or cilliata. Since in my garden it has a short bloom, this is a plant that I grow primarily for foliage, though during its bloom period, it is nice. I appreciate the feathery textured mound of foliage provided by A. hubrichtii for contrast during the summer months, and the fall color is outstanding. To my eye, Amsonia like tabernaemontana without the bushy, fine-textured foliage don’t have any summer interest and have far less impact during fall color season. I haven’t had issues growing any of the Amsonia I have tried in my moist but well-drained, acid, fine sandy loam and hubrichtii self-seeds very lightly. I haven’t noticed any seedling from my others.

Just be aware that A. hubrichtii takes up a good-sized chunk of garden, a 3.5’-4’ diameter mound for me.

• 5 years ago

‘Halfway to Arkansas’ is quite fine, though not as fine as hubrichtii. Fall colour is pretty good too, though not as good as hubrichtii. And it is not as large. I could deal with the size, if it could deal with my garden.

• 5 years ago

Love the spiky texture behind the Amsonia! I am going to trade it if they'll let me. I can't find the receipt. I have a large area that will be available next spring, so I'll temporarily put it somewhere if I get it. If not...I guess I'm stuck with a second dud. I planted lysimachia firecracker with no research last year, and so far it's left me uninspired. Thanks for the info.