Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dt516

convert single sided glass cabinet to double?

5 years ago

We are wondering if it would be possible to convert these inset single sided upper glass cabinets to double sided glass cabinets?

Comments (12)

• 5 years ago

The back is almost certainly plain plywood and definitely structural. You can’t just cut it away and slap some doors on and call it good. A good cabinetmaker may be able to do it but they’d basically be rebuilding it and the finish on the back side would be difficult to match to the rest. I’d be surprised if the cost didn’t match or exceed ordering new. I’m sure you could reuse the doors though.

(I’m not a pro but DH and I are experienced DIYers that have built some simple furniture pieces and installed our kitchen cabinets)

• 5 years ago

I am so curious what exactly you mean? Do you mean insert glass on the ends that are currently wood?

• 5 years ago
    I mean I want the back of the cabinet to look like the front. So glass doors back and front.
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

you could place metallic wallpaper on the backs/ metallic paint on the back/ install cut to fit pieces of mirror on the back. A peninsula upper cabinet will have front and back glass doors...and each of them opens to reach in. You would find another way, with this cabinet, to have a glass or mirrored appearance applied on, as the back is installed to a wall.

• 5 years ago

I have no idea what you're talking about.

• 5 years ago
    I don't understand either. Do you have an inspiration photo of what you're trying to achieve?
  • 5 years ago

Sure! Here you go.

• 5 years ago

do you have a plan w a contractor to take out your wall, construct a peninsula and repurpose your cabinets?

• 5 years ago
    Working on it. These cabinets were purchased by us from the prior owner. Their setup is displayed here.
  • 5 years ago

It could be done but likely at a higher cost than just purchasing new cabinets.

Biggest obstacle would be matching the doors. (Walzcraft has some designs that are very close, close enough.) Inset doors require more skill to hang.

Other cost factor is painting because it will be impossible, or next to, to match the existing finish. Judging from your inspiration pix, looks like you're planning to paint them anyway.

• 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

When you say they were purchased by you from the previous owner, do you mean they were set up like that in a house you purchased or you just bought cabinets from someone and you’re removing from their house to put in yours?

• PRO
    5 years ago

You are trying to create peninsula cabinets out of the existing. Not a DIY project. You have to take them to your local cabinet maker so they can either copy the doors or create cabinets from your existing. Doable but expensive.