Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_495880120

Jeld-wen, Andersen or Marvin windows?

5 years ago

New construction, window recommendations? Majority double-hung, a few fixed, and possibly a few casement. Likely vinyl or aluminum-clad wood. Live in a hot, humid climate. Prefer Jeld-wen for cost/value, but have seen horrible comments online from last year or two about customer service, warranty and manufacturing issues. Can any pros or recent buyers offer their experience?

Comments (15)

• 5 years ago

Marvin has fiberglass windows in the Integrity line. Those will last.

• PRO
    5 years ago

I have Marvin double-hung, wood inside, aluminum-clad exterior. They have simulated divided lites with spacer bars. I've had mine now for about 7 years and am very happy with them.

I would be very careful about mixing double-hung and casement windows on the same house. Houses usually look best when the windows are all the same, even if a different size.

• 5 years ago

Surpirsed to hear about jeldwen customer service. We have mostly double hung aluminum clad wood windows some casement windows from jeldwen. They were put in 7 years ago and we've been happy with them. One issue we did have they fixed right away.

• 5 years ago

Jeldwen bought 4 poor window companies, and combined them making up their current window lines and as far I am concerned did nothing to address the quality. The poor customer service is a byproduct and not something I am that familar with although I have heard it repeatitively over the years.

• 5 years ago
    We bought Anderson E series (aluminum outside, wood inside) french patio door last year. We installed ourselves with help from a friend. So far we are happy. It looks great. I researched forever before deciding on it ( I heard lots of good about Marvin too. I think they cost more). It is a hard decision. I would go with Anderson E series or comparable Marvin, (no Jenweld) if I was replacing more windows. But I don't want Vinyl inside.
  • 5 years ago
    Marvin
  • 5 years ago

We installed Marvin Integrity line on our house. Fiberglass exterior/wood interior. They look great, operate very smoothly (we have mostly double hungs) and the customer service with the window company (no big box store) was great. Our climate is also hot and humid in the summers.

• 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. We've narrowed it down to Jeldwen aluminum clad wood or Marvin Integrity fiberglass exterior/wood interior. Leaning much more to Marvin and will decide after seeing bids. Like Jeldwen's warranty on the auralast pine, but more expensive and their customer service is having issues (distributor confirmed) ... well we'll see! Thanks again!!

• 5 years ago

Dubious quality would chase me away long before getting a price or worrying about the lack of customer service.

• 5 years ago

I've got Anderson metal clad on the outside, bare wood on the inside. I've been happy. Anderson has been very good to deal with as a consumer.

• 5 years ago

We are doing Loewen on our house and Marvin Integrity in detached garage. In numerous conversations with people Marvin (main line or Integrity) would be the easy decision among your three. My impression is that Anderson went through a few 'cheap' years and are now trying harder and trying to rebuild their reputation.

• 5 years ago

Ron, not sure the age of your windows but it wasn't until recently (last 12 years or so) that Andersen offered a metal clad window and that is only the "E" series which they renamed after having purchased Eagle.

• 5 years ago

Dang, you're right. Not sure what I was thinking. They're vinyl clad.

• 5 years ago

What kind of gave it away was the Terratone paint comment on another thread.