Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_39177052745

Conventional Varnish for Kitchen Cabinets

4 years ago

Can someone give me insight into this? I've tried looking it up, and get conflicting info.

Thoughts on it please.

Can you get in any color you want?

Is it recommended for kitchen cabinets?

Is it safe?

Is some other type of finish recommended (if done professionally)?

Etc.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (15)

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Do you mean conversion varnish? It’s the province of professionals with respirators. Yes, it’s the best, most durable choice for kitchen cabinets. Outside a 2K Italian poly. It’s what factories use.

• 4 years ago

Tee hee...YES, Conversion varnish! Thank you GreenDesigns.

Can we provide the pros with the color of choice?

Also believe I'd heard that it contains formaldehyde and causes respiratory issues. do these fumes also put off after paint has been dried, or just at the time of procedure?

• 4 years ago

Thank you Jan! Greatly appreciate it. The company is providing the varnish. Since I'd never heard of conversion varnish, I didn't know if it comes in only certain colors, or if they color match.

I greatly appreciate your advice on the testing to ensure color match. Will contact them next week to ensure it is a waterborne conversion varnish, and to discuss colors.

:)

• PRO
    4 years ago

The off gassing is done before you getyour cabinets

Jora thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

Most likely they are not using water based CV. Off gassing continues long after the initial drying. People who say it doesn't have never worked with the product. Ive only had to use it once in the last ten years and didn't even want to then. I only use water based 2kpoly from Italy . It's the best so no need to be around that nasty CV stuff. Big factories use it all the time but the trend is getting away from it.

Jora thanked jdesign_gw
  • 4 years ago

A few thoughts:

1. Conversion Varnish can be water-based or Solvent-based. The later should be sprayed outside or in a highly ventilated area. The later also produces better results.

2. If you want to choose color say Red or Yellow then what you want is a pigmented conversion varnish.

3. Conversion Varnish is sprayed and not brushed on. If you have access to a 20+ gallon compressor and an HVLP gun (available at Harbor Freight under $20), watch lots of Youtube videos then you can do it yourself. Alternatively, if you want someone who knows how to spray on the cheap, consider whether there is a local auto body trade school near by. Painting cars is more challenging than painting cabinets.

4. When spraying conversion varnish, you really should wear a respirator.

5. To get your hands on conversion varnish takes more effort if you live in a Communist state such as California or Connecticut. Easy to obtain in states where liberty is status quo.

Jora thanked mcgoverntheory
  • 4 years ago

Patricia - Thank you!

jdesign - I will check with the company to see which they will use.

Would a person need to be familiar with 2kpoly from Italy in order to produce good results, or can a pro (who has never used this before) achieve good results? Lastly, if the company would allow me to purchase it for them, where would I be able to find it?

Mcgove - No red or yellow here, rather a shade of white which will compliment the shutters (Kelly Moore Western Acoustic) or B.M. White Dove (prefer the W.D., but shutters are K.M.). Would we still need pigmented conversion varnish?

Hubby as to speak with the owner to find details on the details - most likely won't be until Monday. If he is able to get a hold of him by early next week, I will post back here to see if you lovely people can assist more. :)

• 4 years ago

1) In the communist state of California I can get Conversion Varnish from a dozen places within 5 miles of my shop.

2) spay outside only if the look you are going for includes bugs and debris.

3) A professional finish involves prep, primer and topcoat. Cheap usually results in cheap. (Automotive sprayer has skils but differet experience).

4) probably be better off going with what the finisher is comfortable with. Italian 2k is not hard just different and he won't like the fact that it cost more.

5)white is a pigmented finish not just red and yellow. White is actually more pigmented. Red would most likely use a clear base or you would get pink.

6) it's ok to call California a communist state we welcome it. There's way too many people here as it is. One fact to note in the 80's the smog was so bad there were days when your eyes and throat burned. If left unchecked today we would all be wearing gas mask like they do in China the other communist state.

• 4 years ago

There's close to 300 galons of Italian paint in the shop right now so you could say we like the stuff.

Jora thanked jdesign_gw
  • 4 years ago

jdesign - You crack me up.

I also live in the communist state of CA! Where about is your shop? I live in Northern CA...Santa Clara!

• 4 years ago

I'm in LA. We do have some silly regulations like in some areas they make you have gaint containers to capture rain water for your landscaping. Great idea except it only rains a few moths in the winter and that same water rains on your landscaping so you don't need it. The rest of the year there's no rain just empty containers. There's lots more but I digress. The one thing I have to say is can we just end this whole global warming agreement. Let's just call it what it is. Pollution. All in favor of pollution raise your hand. . ‍‍

• 4 years ago

LA is notorious for pollution! Here in NorCal, however, we raise our hands (but do away with plastic bags and straws) in hopes of ending global warming! ;)

• 4 years ago

It is important to note that in the communist state of California, you can get Conversion Varnish provided you are a business. I do not believe it is available to consumers. The DIY community has to work hard to circumvent communist thinking embedded within the laws...

Jora thanked mcgoverntheory
  • 4 years ago

None of the places I by from ask you who you are or what you're going the do with it. The only restriction is you have to pay for it. We also have weed shops on every corner, liquor in every supermarket Guns and gambling can be had too if that's you thing. Those commies are slipping.