Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Stocking the office pantry

4 years ago

I keep a pantry/snack cabinet for my development team-- I usually keep semi health snacks for the days were we have back-to-back meetings or need to work through lunch or dinner. Typically, I keep raw almonds, kind bars, whole wheat fig bars and cheese crackers... then I rotate through snacks like cheez-its (a big fail), pretzel crisps, veggie chips, etc.

I've been asked to add Hot Chocolate and I am thinking I should add something a little more substantial.. soups? noodle bowls? I don't know. I don't really eat many prepared soups or single serving lunch kind of options so looking for suggestions that might be a step above others.. in taste and/or health.

It's an international team-- most do not eat beef or pork... two are vegetarian. They all have a sweet tooth.

Please share your recommendations-- is there anything you keep in your drawer at work for a quick pick-me-up?

Comments (36)

• 4 years ago

Ramen cups. Maybe not the healthiest, but get a few and see if they are eaten.

Funkyart thanked sushipup1
  • 4 years ago

Instant oatmeal, yogurt, instant miso

Funkyart thanked localeater
  • 4 years ago

These are very good and filling. I keep a few of them in my pantry. They come in different flavors.

I get them at Walmart and Dollar Store

https://www.dollargeneral.com/nissin-souper-meal-chicken-flavor-with-vegetable-medley-4-3-oz.html

Funkyart thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • 4 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! While we have multiple fridges in our kitchen-- they are shared with MANY other people on the floor. I don't want to overtake one for my team-- and I don't want to feed all the others... so I am looking for ideas that can go in a cupboard.

Never thought there'd be a hummus that didn't need to be refrigerated -- it's perfect!

ramen and miso are good ideas also.. any recommendations for brand?

I have long been in search of a good single-serve instant oatmeal.. So many are sickening sweet! I found McCann's unsweetened cups and I just ordered some of these packages to go with.

Tha

• 4 years ago

The reviews of the heaven and earth quinoa and chickpea soup is mixed.. but that's the direction I'd like to go.

Does anyone have experience with the Dr MacDougall cups of soup?

• 4 years ago

At work we keep, the jif peanut butter cups and bags of gluten free crackers, single serve nut and fruit packs (such as planters nutrition, trail mix, etc), sugar free instant oatmeal (Make in your coffee mug w/ hot water from the coffee machine and and a little non dairy creamer cup...yummy), the quinoa & grain cups mentioned above. My boss likes "junkier" stuff and we will have some chips and snack mixes and mini chocolates. I also will pick up the tuna pouches or the tiny cans of tuna or ham salad that come with crackers in the little box. We sometimes have really no time to eat and all that comes in handy. We are a family owned, small (20 employees total, including part timers) business and it really is appreciated. We also have coffee, tea and hot chocolate for our clients but make sure to also order employee favorites and keep in the private offices, as well as gatorade, diet & regular sodas and water service. My boss also normally buys lunch or sometimes even makes something (phenomenal cook) once or twice a week. It is a stressful environment by nature and that thoughtfulness goes a long way. When we purchase lunch for the staff it is sometimes the requisite pizza but normally a really nice lunch from a local place that is affordable but healthy. A couple Christmas' ago we gave all the staff a water bottle to refill from the coolers and a distinctive coffee mug & as we get new staff (rare) or interns (usually one or two a year) we also get them those as a welcome gift.

Those Souper Bowls & there are other brands of different varieties tend to be high in sodium but once in a while they hit the spot and are pretty filling. We also have a few types of hot sauces and such in the fridge to add flavor to those types of meals.

I also try to every couple days, even if I don't pack an actual lunch, bring in some fruit, some hard boiled eggs, etc that will tide me over if something goes awry in my schedule.

I think it is great that you are thinking of the staff. It goes incredibly far in morale. I left a much different, high power career, where I had "power" and "title" but couldn't do that kind of thing unless it was out of my pocket and was frowned upon actually. I went back to school, changed careers and while I make less, I live closer, actually positively impact peoples lives, and even though it is stressful, I enjoy my co-workers and we all really care about what we do. I also remember when my boss is making me a little nuts that he knows about what is going on in my family, he cares, he does random nice things and he is doing it because he really does care. That goes a long way.

That probably way overanalyzed things but when someone on your team is running late, didn't pack a lunch and can eat from the "snack" rack they will remember that!

Funkyart thanked Anne
  • 4 years ago

Sharing the fridge with other departments S**ks! When I worked in a multi dept. career, i had to keep my cold stuff in a lunch bag with ice pack.....

I too love the hummus that doesn't need refrigeration, don't need it for work but will definitely be getting it for day trips, hiking and telling my kids about it for when the grands are going to preschool and needing to pack.

Funkyart thanked Anne
  • 4 years ago

If you have an Asian market nearby I think their Ramen and Noodles taste better....my youngest adult kid shops there a lot...could just be the writing I can't read!

Funkyart thanked Anne
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Not the healthiest, but the Easy Mac packets or cups have saved me lately when my stomach has been finicky.

Funkyart thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • 4 years ago

Once in a while, or when as you say the stomach is finicky things such as Easy Mac are helpful. I am glad that healthier options are available but if you eat 2-3 Easy Mac's a week with an otherwise balanced diet it is fine IMO....and for you as a nurse with 2 kids....it's a surprise you have time to even eat an Easy Mac! Thanks for what you do.

Funkyart thanked Anne
  • 4 years ago

I’ll just have a tin of Trader Joe’s smoked oysters on crackers and some dried chopped dates please. Oh, and some wasabi coated crunchy peas.

Funkyart thanked just_terrilynn
  • 4 years ago

Campbell's Creamy Tomato Soup on the Go isn't bad. I'll have it for a warm pick me up when I just want something in my hand, and fast. The travel style sippy cup, not the microwave bowl style. But - I never sip from the container, I do pour into a mug after heating.

Campbell's Travel Mug style soup on the go Creamy Tomato

• 4 years ago

Since I am allergic too many things, primarily all nuts and some dairy, but also a lot of fresh fruits, I keep these with me for snacks.

I buy several bags once a year when Costco carries them. Apparently it is a seasonal item for Costco. Otherwise I buy the bars by the same company at the supermarket. They are really tasty and I have never had a reaction.

• 4 years ago

Thank you, Anne.. I agree that the small gesture goes a long way. I do have a budget for team lunches. We go out to celebrate project milestones (every 3-4 months) and I have pizza brought in every once in awhile. We also do potlucks every few months at their request.

I pay for the pantry items myself-- they don't have to work long hours often (and even then, it's not too crazy) so it is my way to thank them for their efforts. This time it will be a little more expensive but I rarely spend more than $30/mo to keep it stocked. I don't usually bring in fruit for fear it will go bad/bring fruit flies-- but I've brought in veggie trays every once in awhile which has been a big hit.

I think I am going to give these a try-- they're almost $4 a cup so a little pricy for a small vegan meal but they sound like something I would like and the packaging is so cheery!

I am going to drop the oatmeal. We do have a full service café in our building that has oatmeal every morning (and eggs, pancakes, etc). I've had it and it isn't bad despite the fact that it's made in a huge vat!

Thanks for all the ideas!

• 4 years ago

hcbm...i feel for you with your allergies and maybe not able to "share" food. I have one child (adult) who has has some odd allergies...the rest can eat anything. A workplace can try but with the new amount of allergies what do we do? It really is difficult.

• 4 years ago

We are a one location business so the oatmeal is a hit. Those bowls look great and as it sounds you do....ask the team how they like them. When I was doing it out of pocket it was several hundred a month and upper management was complaining that I was making other departments look bad. In my current job the "snacks" which my employer covers a actually is probably in line with yours not counting lunches. I am sure your team appreciates you! You are being a great supervisor/boss

• 4 years ago

Funkyart please let me know how people like them...they look like something we might like.

• 4 years ago

Anne thank you for your sympathy. I just posted those for anyone who might be interested. I just always keep something in my bag. It is impossible to have something for everyone. It is always shocking when restaurants have little to nothing that does not include nuts. I always check menus before making reservations at new restaurants. And since I live in NYC and eat out often I give specific instructions to waitstaff that nut oils, nut flour and nut flavorings are also an allergen. But one can always be surprised.

• 4 years ago

@hcbm...funny how i'm allergic to such and such gets the response "there is just a little" or I am vegetarian gets "there is only chicken" My allergic "child" has to be a bit of a jerk to be sure he doesn't get food with his allergens. Since it is a "different" allergy people think it can't possibly be that bad.......

• PRO
    4 years ago

Funkyart thanked MDLN
  • 4 years ago

Thank you all again-- so many great ideas. I am starting to narrow down my choices. The more I think of it, the more I'd like to make fresh fruit available. It will present some challenges but our office is cool and I think if I choose items with a longer shelf life, it might be ok-- maybe apples and cuties?

Fun2Be - learning that there is a shelf hummus is a big plus. The hummus has been a hit when I have brought in veggie trays

Sushi, Raven & Anne - yeah, I think ramen is a good idea. I admit to being a secret ramen love but I never had the cups/bowls. I make it at home and add vegetables and curry -- I think I'll pick up a few and see how they go.

Rn - I am not really a mac and cheese eater (processed or homemade)-- is there a brand you think is better than the others? I think Velveeta is the brand my nieces preferred in their college care packages.

JT - lol.. smoked oysters and dates. I don't know that my snack cabinet is going to rise to your standards... but I do think dried fruit is a good idea.

Morz8 - I have the tomato soup to go cups in my cart! I still love tomato soup even with the (distinct to me) corn syrup flavor as it reminds me of my childhood! I am curious to see how the international group responds to them (they're primarily from india).

HCBM - I am sure that nut allergies present issues in all areas of dining, noshing and traveling. Nuts in all forms are so prevalent in breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks! Luckily there are no food allergies other than my own across our team. There are some cultural tastes though-- for instance, granola/granola bars haven't done so well.. nor have the cheez-its (which I do not like-- but are big with my sisters and their kids!)

Anne - thank you again for your kind words. Really, this hasn't cost me lots-- they look to the cabinet as supplementing what they bring in. The stock doesn't go down quickly -- each month I get a couple of boxes of dark chocolate sea salt Kind bars (far and away the favorite) and one or two other things, I have a great team so it makes me happy to do the little things for them.

Mdln - Have you had any of the slow simmer soups? Are you recommending the one pictured? I have had one-- and I really disliked it. Actually, it was the smell. I threw it out without eating it. I am open to trying another if it comes with a recommendation! Unfortunately, I am the only one on the team who eats tuna-- those quick packs would be perfect otherwise!

• 4 years ago

I thought of this earlier but if the tuna doesn't go over these wouldn't either. Sardines! Cheap price point, long shelf life, a few different flavors.

Sam's carries Easy Mac in the pouch and cup so we got it from there. I would guess the Velveeta is similar. I know my kids like the Velveeta mac and cheese because it was creamier.

Just did some online research. I would probably go for the Velveeta. It has the pouches of cheese sauce it appears instead of the powder mix of Easy Mac. The pouches in the big boxes of mac and cheese gave a much creamier finished product.

• 4 years ago

Thanks for the extra research, Rnmom-- I should have done that myself! I'll pick up a few individual mac and cheese and see how they go over!

It's hard to say if they'd like sardines but since the more substantial snacks are for when they eat at their desks, I am going to nix anything smelly! LOL

• 4 years ago

Funky, I did think of the smelly factor. My family always complains when I have them for lunch. ;-)

• 4 years ago

Keep the fruit in the fridge to avoid spoiling and fruitflies. Most ripened fruits will last much longer and maintain their quality when stored in the refrigerator. Even bananas will last for days in cold storage, just don't put them in while still green.

Funkyart thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • 4 years ago

I keep reading this as SHOCKING the office pantry. Clearly my sinus headache is getting the best of me today!

Excellent suggestions above. We also have an office pantry that's mostly for those who work late, but I think just about all of us raid it at all hours of the day for the chocolate. I'm going to suggest a few of the items recommended above to our purchaser.

• 4 years ago

I like Kind bars with fruit and nuts and recently a box of mixed mini bars. They are 80-100 calories so not horrible. Love the cherry and cashews with dark chocolate. The other is dark chocolate with peanut butter.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes, that mushroom soup. Like this (Kraft deluxe white cheddar) the best of the quick mac & cheese choices; can only find it on Amazon & Walmart.

• 4 years ago

Not going to put anything in the bank of fridge/freezers-- I am not sure how many people share the kitchen but I am going to say it's at least 150.

I have put some more thought into this as I prepared to purchase -- and I am going to approach this a little differently than initially intended. I am not going to provide "meal" options (with one exception) because:

• there IS a full service café in our building-- it's not great but it is definitely better than a meal in a cardboard cup. They are open from 6am-3pm.
    • I am always willing to have something brought in if needed-- ubereats, pizza, whatever (I do have discretionary budget for this-- and I am personally willing to cover it on occasion)
    • I am offering this as a convenience-- not a necessity. Everyone of these people has the means to buy their own things they like.

The exception I am going to make is stocking some soup. If I eat lunch, this is what I eat-- so if they don't go over well, I have lunches lined up for awhile.

So what I DID pick up were all the usuals (whole wheat fig bars, kind bars, raw almonds, cheese/wheat crackers) --- plus the following new mix of savory and sweet treats:

• shelf stable hummus cups
    • pita chips
    • veggie chips
    • Saffron Road Bombay roasted chickpeas
    • toffee-coconut cashews (getting rave reviews on amazon)
    • selection of soups
    • Velveeta mac & cheese
    • Land o Lakes hot chocolate
    • Ghirardelli hot chocolate

This order should easily last through the holidays-- at which point, I'll restock based on what was most loved.

Again... thank you all for your suggestions! I will revisit this list and choose new options based on the season and how they respond to the things I did get.

• 4 years ago

Outside.. the Kind bars are far and away the favorite in our current cupboard. It's the one thing I replace the minute it runs out. I have tried mixing up the flavors but they all prefer the dark chocolate sea salt flavor. I have them on an amazon subscription. (I prefer the ones with fruits and nuts and no chocolate-- but they are too sticky for me to eat at my desk or in a meeting.)

Mdln.. thank you for clarifying! Also thank you for the mac & cheese recommendation. The orange cheeses always freak me out.

for anyone interested.. these are the whole wheat bars I get. They are 100 calories each and pretty filling. I pick them up when they are super cheap--if you catch it right, you can get 24 bars for well under $10. I prefer the blueberry but strawberry and raspberry are popular too.

• 4 years ago

I will try these bars....I love kind bars and Lara bars but they get pricey and don't fill me for a meal...maybe these bars will....

• 4 years ago

Anne, I am not much of a breakfast eater but for the mornings I need a little something, these hold me easily until lunch. However, I don't think these are good options for a real replacement bar.

As for the items I purchased, they've been a bit hit.. I did receive a request to add coconut water so I just placed an order for that as well!

Thank you all again!

• 4 years ago

I'm so glad the Kind bars come in smaller sizes now, they are so good but pretty caloric. The quality is amazing but I wonder just how much better they are than a Snickers bar, which i'd never touch.

I was at a dinner/talk recently w Dr. Andrew Weill and he said "your pancreas doesn't know Coca Cola from fresh-squeezed OJ, it's all sugar." So it makes you think. (sorry, mini hijack)

PS I want to work for Funky!

Funkyart thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 4 years ago

I keep some of the stickier Kind bars in the refrigerator. It makes them neater to peel. And yes, absolutely, sugar is sugar. Kind bars do have a lot of nuts with heir sugar, so protein and they work well for me if I am famished and have to skip a meal.

Funkyart thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • 4 years ago

No hijacks.. it's all good!

I personally like the Kind bars with fruit and nut but these are the ones I get for the office-- much better specs. I find they are just enough for me on days I skip lunch (frequent occurrence) .. but compared to snickers:

5g sugars in Kind vs 25g in snickers

7g fiber vs 1g fiber

6g protein vs 4g protein

15g fat vs 11g fat