Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethaustin19

So angry at Rejuvenation

4 years ago

So annoyed. I've spent THOUSANDS of dollars with them, including HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS for doorsets that have failed because the screws (repeatedly) fall out. Not just one, but several sets. This has led to multiple occasions in which I've had to hire someone to repair a door that would no longer open because the doorknob failed.

Yesterday, I had to call in a locksmith because I was locked out of the bathroom.

These repairs have cost several hundred dollars. So I decided (somewhat belatedly) to call and ask Rejuvenation to SELL ME some doorknob screws. I even offered to pay for shipping. I asked very nicely. I sent in photographs of all my doorsets. Then I re-sent the photos in a different format, per their request.

Nope. Sorry. It's not their "policy". Because I might resell them. SERIOUSLY?

Yeah, this is all an elaborate scam to start my own online hardware store. I'm going to start with 20 doorknob screws and work my way up.

NEVER EVER AGAIN. What a stupid way to lose a great customer.

Comments (42)

• 4 years ago

Very odd, but, thank you for posting so I will not look to them for any hardware purchases. Bad enough to have poor quality products that fail, but to not figure a way to help you fix the problem? Bad business.

• 4 years ago

I can understand how this is really frustrating to you - and thanks for the info on Rejuvenation lack of customer support.

Is there something special about these screws? Do you need wider or longer screws?

• 4 years ago

Post some pictures

• 4 years ago

I'm guessing it's because they simply buy everything straight from China, and aren't prepared to open a packet of whatever to send you the bits you need?

I also suspect that that's the real reason. Most likely they buy complete units and have no easy access to spare parts that aren't normally exported.

Manufacturers don't support repairing stuff because nobody bothers to try to fix anything because manufacturers don't support reparing anything because.... chicken, meet egg.

Years ago I owned an inexpensive but quite functional fluorescent torchiere. The ballast failed, so I contacted the "manufacturer" to order a new one. The person who answered the phone, who sounded like he was talking in a huge, echoey warehouse, said they didn't supply spare parts for any of their products. He said that it would cost so much to stock a replacement ballast and get the necessary regulatory approvals for it that the ballast would have cost more than a new complete lamp.

I thanked him and hung up. I replaced the non-repairable torchiere with an older used one that accepted a simple Edison base incandescent lamp, and put in a compact fluorescent. Which, by the way, ALSO had a non-replaceable ballast. You can't fight "progress."

• 4 years ago

We'll all pay for it in the long run, when we can't buy anything to fix anything, and we'll all just be sitting at the docks all day, watching the supertankers from China delivering more tat ...

• 4 years ago

Have you used Loctite Threadlocker on the screws?

Loctite Threadlocker

I used it on all the cabinet knobs in our RV to keep them from jiggling loose and anywhere that I was a screw to stay put. Just used it on the tiny screws in my eyeglasses frame last week.

Elizabeth Austin thanked ci_lantro
  • PRO
    4 years ago

I try to purchase locally for things like hardware-we all need to support our local economy. But truly sorry to hear of your situation-please try your local hardware store as an option.

• 4 years ago

graywings123 The only thing special about the screws is that a) they fit these particular doorknobs (apparently doorknob screws aren't standardized??) and b) they match the finishes of the doorsets. I mean, if the greatest tragedy of my life is that some of my doorknob screws are the wrong finish, I guess I can consider myself fairly blessed. It's just that this seemed like a fairly straightforward request from a longtime customer. Harrumph.

• 4 years ago

Stax

I'm not quite sure what the story behind the story might be. I bought doorknobs. The screws keep falling out. I asked for new screws. I offered to pay for them, plus shipping. I was told it was against their policy to do this. I object strenuously to this policy.

• 4 years ago

ci_lantro

This is a good thought. Once I track down some matching screws (or, more likely, break down and buy plain metal ones), I will definitely use loctite to solve the problem.

• 4 years ago

prairiemoon2 z6b MA

You're welcome. I posted because I was cranky, but also because I think people should know that this can be a problem. I mean, things fall apart. That's part of life. But it shouldn't be extremely difficult to fix a small hardware problem.

• 4 years ago

Metric screws.

• 4 years ago

If you can't post a photo of the screw, maybe you can provide a link to the doorsets you purchased.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I think we need pictures to understand the issue but I do agree if we don’t stop buying cheap crap in no time that is all we will get to buy.

• 4 years ago

Yesterday, I had to call in a locksmith because I was locked out of the bathroom.

Locksmith--Did you ask that person about replacements screws?

You could use a little Rub 'n Buff to better match the screws to the finish on the knobs.

Rub 'n Buff

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

How old are these sets? The website says: no returns for items damaged from normal wear. . The holes might needs a longer screw now. Go to hardware store and share your experience with knowledgable staff.

Start the process of a small claims lawsuit for a refund. Send them a demand letter for the amount you seek, within reason. You can add the charge for the locksmith. Send it certified w/ signature receipt. Research your area for small claims lawsuits. There are always free legal clinics staffed by law students to answer questions. Post reviews of their product wherever you can. Complain to BBB, and Consumer Safety Product Commission CSPC. https://www.cpsc.gov

Perhaps they were recalled? Check with CSPC

https://www.cpsc.gov

• 4 years ago

Stax -- sorry, I was offline for a couple days. Here's the link to the product

https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/hamilton

I have about 15 of these knobs, and one in a different style. I've had this problem with multiple knobs

As far as I can tell, they didn't strip -- they just fell out.

Here's a photo of one of the knobs.

• 4 years ago

Wow. Interesting thread. I purchased a couple of to be installed pendant lights from them for a bathroom remodel. It is the only thing I have ever purchased from them. I purchased them in store and the lady told me that a downtown Los Angeles company actually makes those particular lights for Rejuvenation. When they were delivered, I made sure I kept the address in case I ever want to go to them directly (I live in LA). Have not had any issues yet but my husband has only put the bases up thus far.

• 4 years ago

DK Haas

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't asking them to replace the sets -- just to sell me some screws to replace the ones that had fallen out over time. It's not a big deal. I just wanted the finishes to match. I was vexed that they couldn't help a longtime customer with a very small problem. And I was, frankly, insulted at the suggestion that this was some kind of scam on my part to start selling doorknob screws for fun and profit. :)

• 4 years ago

ci_lantro

I did ask the locksmith. He said he could replace the screws, but that they probably wouldn't match the doorknob finishes. Again -- not a huge deal. Just seems ridiculous that this can't be fixed easily by Rejuvenation.

• 4 years ago

I’m confused, the picture you posted is not the same as the link. I looked on their website and can’t find anything that is like yours.

• 4 years ago

I think some of Rejuvenation hardware is by Emtek. I would try contacting them directly.

Customer Service - Emtek Products - (626) 961-0413

Good luck!

• 4 years ago

He said he could replace the screws, but that they probably wouldn't match the doorknob finishes. Again -- not a huge deal. Just seems ridiculous that this can't be fixed easily by Rejuvenation.

Yes, irritating but not all that surprising. Service after the sale is a rarity any more. Everything is disposable.

Anyway, new screws in whatever color, installed w/ some blue Loctite and given a dab of Rub 'n Buff on the new screws should yield you good results. And the problem should be fixed for a long, long time.

• 4 years ago

Are you talking about the set screw that attaches the knob to the shaft?

Those kinds of screws have sucked since the original ones were installed decades ago in that door.

If it's the set screw, just put a drop of Loctite on it. Simple.

• 4 years ago

Wow, that's lousy. If I were me, I'd send a snail mail letter to their CEO outlining the complaint and request. (or if you live near one of their stores, maybe ask one of their sales people to help)

• 4 years ago

The photo appears to show an older door with much use. Perhaps these are just worn out?

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm guessing it's the set screws because that's how you get trapped in a room, if the knob falls off.

A decent hardware store should have replacements if they get lost on the floor. Don't worry about what the actual size is, they can help figure that out. I like my local Ace Hardware, they have almost everything.

And the Loctite is a good idea. They were probably not tightened enough when they went in, and/or they are cheaply machined screws or threads that aren't very snug. The Loctite will help with that.

• 4 years ago

STAX, The set screw holding the knob on in the photo upthread sure looks like it is missing so I don't see any mystery in determining which screw it is.

What does puzzle me is why anyone would install high dollar hardware on beat up old doors, though. The doors need some sanding, scraping, painting, refurbishing before installing expensive hardware.

In lieu of rehabbing the doors, I would have buffed up the old hardware, clear coated it & reinstalled. Would have made for a better match than putting glitz on shabby chic.

• 4 years ago

@ci-lantro. Agreed.

• 4 years ago

I ordered cabinet hardware from them only to get 10 days later an email stating " sorry we are out of those". I then replied with an email that was unacceptable in this day and age for not only the website to still be selling items that aren't available but taking 10 days to let me know is ridiculous. We are building a new home and planned on getting quite a few lights and lots of hardware from them and now won't be. Anyone have advice on other places that are more reliable?

• 2 years ago

I was googling because I have Rejuvenation doorknobs and found your post. i have EXACTLY the same problem. The tiny screws are falling out, getting lost, and causing the doorknobs to not turn. I almost got locked in the bedroom. Thank goodness I read your post and stopped closing the door. First I tried a locksmith, then went to Rejuvenation. I had to order new doorknobs to get the screws. Simply unbelievable. of course the knobs are now discontinued, so I had to order other colors to get close to what I have. They haven’t arrived yet. Most expensive screws ever. I plan on using Loctite this time.

• 2 years ago

The set screws were proprietary and can't be found at a hardware store? Weird.

Have you considered tightening all the set screws in your other knobs so they don't fall off?

• 2 years ago

We have been battling this issue for a few years. Yes, we looked at hardware stores for these screws which are less than 1/4 inch in length, oddly small in diameter, and finished in an antique bronze color. The color is a real issue because they will stick out if they don’t match.

We have tightened all the knobs, but because so many have fallen out we no longer have enough to go in the multiple doors. The only ”good news” is that since these knobs are discontinued they were cheaper than the original price. This time we will use Loctite. Rejuvenation really should sell the screws or provide extras with the knobs. It’s bad service for customers.

• 2 years ago

If you had the detailed specs on this screw (metric or English and the thread pitch) someone else may have it. I'm thinking Fastenal, Restoration Hardware, or other online vendors.

To get the specs, if your local hardware store can't measure the screw (maybe it's too small for the set of English and Metric test sockets they have in the screw department), try a local machine shop, locksmith shop or watch repair shop. They will have gadgets to accurately determine the size and thread pitch. Then you can really find out if these screws are unavailable anywhere else.

• 2 years ago

Call their customer relations number and make a property damage claim for the cost of repairs. They are owned by Williams Sonoma Inc.

1. Corporate Office Headquarters. 3250 Van Ness Ave. San Francisco CA 94109.
    2. Email. support@williams-sonoma.com.
    3. Call. 702-360-7000.
  • 2 years ago

Williams Sonoma is a big name with a lot to lose. I wonder how they'd feel about a refusal by one of their subsidiaries to sell these screws to an unhappy and frustrated customer(s).

• 2 years ago

Meanwhile, the difficulties continue. They told me the doorknobs I ordered to get the matching screws were in stock but discontined. They never showed up. i called and they had to email the warehouse. They said it would take 48 hours for a response and she would call me. No phone call. I called them and they told me they were out. So I ordered the nonmatching doorknobs. But they did not send me copy of the order and I have a feeling that I have been ”screwed” again. And every time I call I am on hold for at least 20 to 30 minutes.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Just take one of the surviving set screws to an Ace Hdwe store. (Tape it to a sheet of paper so you don't lose it.) They will have a 'thread checker' and be able to accurately size the threads. They should also have the set screws. Buy several. While you are there, buy some blue Loctite.

(If you have no surviving set screws, take the door knob instead.)

If Ace does not have the size you need, they should at least be able to tell you the size. Then source it on the Internet...

Swing by Michael's and pick up some Rub 'n Buff if the color doesn't match.

https://www.amaco.com/t/mixed-media/metallic-finishes/rub-n-buff

Or maybe a metallic Sharpie. I have used Rub 'n Buff but have not used the metallic Sharpies.

Once you are home, go around the house with the Loctite and use it on ALL of the doorknob set screws.

Set screws are widely used. From eyeglasses to door knobs to holding fan blades on motor shafts. Plus a lot of other things. Slotted heads and often. allen head. The difficulty is determining the size you need.

• 2 years ago

Stay away from rejuvenation electrical fixtures, too. Profoundly stupid mounting hardware that prevents you from being able to mount the lights. maybe not true for all fixtures, but definitely some. im an electrician who has run into this multiple times. looking for somewhere on the web to vent my frustration.

• 2 years ago

I have had nothing but trouble with our Rejuvenation Tumalo exterior doorset. The handles have fallen off on numerous occasions, and we’ve had several contractors repair. We can’t use our front door from the outside right now. I was googling to see if others have had similar issues. I think it’s interesting that they don’t have reviews on their website. We paid $600 for this doorknob, and it’s now going in our donation pile. No one should have this much headache for door hardware. I will never order from Rejuvenation again and will request they stop marketing to me. For anyone else in the same boat, this was not an Emtek knob. I’ve had good luck with Emtek and will order an Emtek doorset today from Build.com

• 2 years ago

I heard the emtek black mattes chip. Just fyi