Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merryzinkand

Quartzite?! It passed the “glass scratch test”

4 years ago

I went to a distributor today seeking this quartzite my fabricator recommended. The stone passed the scratch test and scratched the glass. It just doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen before. Any quartzite experts out there?! Does this have the visual qualities of a quartzite?

Comments (17)

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yes, it does have the quartzite appearance. Do you love it? What name are they calling it?

• 4 years ago

Looks like some Matarazzo I’ve seen.

• 4 years ago

I have done the lemon test on other stone samples. No samples for this stone unfortunately. They call it Maharajah

• 4 years ago

It could be hard, but still be porous. Buyer beware!

• 4 years ago

My other question is that I want it honed. If I add a sealer to the honed stone, will that be just as durable or is a polished, sealed stone more durable?!

• 4 years ago

Never have a shop hone stone. That should be done at the quarry. It takes a multi million dollar machine to hone in a shop. No small shop can do it. In this metro area of over 1 M, there is exactly 1 shop that can do this. Others offer to do it, but it’s never ever done well. Most consumers cannot tell the difference in the correct machinery setup needed. So just buy stone that’s already honed, unless you have someone VERY knowledgeable advising you and who had vetted the fabricator for you. Because most contractors don’t know anything about the machines either.

• 4 years ago

What is the issue with having a fabricator hone the quartzite??

• PRO
    4 years ago

Refinishing Marble,Limestone,Travertine,Granite,Quartzites and many other natural stones including brushed and or textured surfaces on site (Home or Business) from one type of finish to another can be done using specific abrasives and equipment. Softer stones will always be easier to change from one finish to another while harder stones will be more challenging requiring more experience and a diverse line of diamond tooling and abrasives. This is a specialized service that will be expensive but with the right company using dust and slurry control and paying attention to detail (ex:Refinishing Back Splashes, edges and sink cutouts to match the actual surface is key.

Materials should be tested for porosity and sealed accordingly.

• 4 years ago

Thank you Stoneshine. Does that stone look like a quartzite to you?

• PRO
    4 years ago

Yes-but testing is the way to go with any stone-not a product you want to guess at or have a sales person identifying it geologically .

• 3 years ago

Did you end up using this quartzite and how does it look installed? Thanks

• 3 years ago

Everything got stalled because of Covid. I actually found a different quartzite that I purchased and just got a sample yesterday. It definitely passed the glass scratch test!!

• 3 years ago

Beautiful. What is this quartzite called?

• 3 years ago

White Lux

• 3 years ago

I am wondering if anyone ended up finding out more about Maharajah quartzite? I saw a beautiful slab of it today but the Stone yard doesn’t have a sample for me to test. Any recommendations for where to be able to test pieces of it? Anyone have intel on its durability?

• 2 years ago

I’m also curious about the Maharaja quartzite. Anyone tested or used it?