Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetshome

Do you hate your engineer wood floor? Did you replace it?

4 years ago

I dont like my engineer wood floor. I have a small house and I put wood through out my house and bedrooms.

I have high traffic because, there is no where else to walk. IAs I clean it, it looks like no one cleaned it. Just to much a high maintenance for me. The floor is a cherry color.

As you open the door you are walking in the great room then back room where the TV is.

I was thinking of putting a nice size area rug and a runner from the door down. last resort would be to pull up the flooring and put something else.

What did you do? Did you pull up your floor?

I put the floor down in 2012.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Are you referring to engineered hardwood floors?

Hate it? Never! Engineered wood floors are the perfect solution for use throughout the house. Because it will not “cup” when exposed to dampness, you can damp mop.

I use Bona.

• 4 years ago

It has been at least 6 years but someone we know replaced with real wood. I don't remember what their problem was.

• 4 years ago

Yes engineer wood. im constantly cleaning it cus it picks up every mark and I have it evrrg where except the bathroom and kitchen

• 4 years ago

If I am reading correctly, you don't like it because the stain color shows dirt and marks. Is it a dark cherry color?

Anything can be replaced as long as you have the money to do it. Rugs would be a much cheaper solution. Can you share a picture of the space?

• 4 years ago

If you have the money to replace then why would you live with something you do not like.

Life is too short. Peace of mind is not overrated.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I would need some pictures to see what it is you hate. But I do agree if it is that big of an issue change it. I happen to think vinyl plank in a high traffic space could be the answer . There are many very nice ones now. I have the really old style in my walkout basement with 3 huge dogs in and out all say through a doggie door to the dog run it takes a few mins. at the end of the day to swiffer and damp mop looks like new again. Have you thought that maybe they just needd refinishing with a better finish.

• 4 years ago

The largest amount of complaints re: flooring come from DEPTH of colour (darker floors get MORE complaints) and GLOSS LEVEL (matte floors and high-gloss floors get more complaints).

The type of SUBSTRATE doesn't matter. Dark stone gets the same amount of 'hates' as dark hardwood. And dark engineered hardwoods get as many hates as dark vinyl or laminate.

A matte (super low gloss) finish on porcelain tile gets as many hates as matte finish on cork flooring. A super glossy concrete finish (epoxy or polished) gets as many hates as high-gloss ceramic tiles.

So...your concerns *probably come from the A. Depth of colour (darker???) and B. Gloss level (matter or glossy???).

Please up load some photos of your floor (with or without issues....we just want to see them).

• 4 years ago

We moved in ten years ago and previous owners had laid down dark engineered hardwood. I have no complaints whatsoever in regards to how it’s wearing and cleaning needs. We just stripped our hardwood stairs and stained to match the floor and to tell you the truth they are attracting much more dust and harder to keep clean, so I think it could be the finish on your floors.

• 4 years ago

We have engineered light maple, installed about 3 years ago. I won't go into the very long story issues of that remodel but this is not the flooring we picked. Luckily, it is exactly the look we wanted, but it does require a lot of cleaning. There is no time during the day that a section isn't in the sun, showing every cat hair clump (Maine Coon currently having major summer molt). Grandsons in their socks leave footprints everywhere, along with cat footprints (probably don't want to know what he's sticking his feet in). Unless there is a serious spill, a quick vacuum and then swipe with Bona takes care of it all.

Rugs will certainly help with your problem and have you tried Bona? I agree with others that maybe it's a finish/cleaning issue.

• 4 years ago

It’s not clean now, but this is the pix

• 4 years ago

What are you using to clean the floor?

• 4 years ago

OK....NOW I see the issue. The wood is VERY DARK. And the planks run perpendicular to a source of light instead of in the direction of the light. This means each long edge is visible or backlit. That is SUPER annoying. I get it.

The question above "What are you using to clean the floor?" should have another part to it: "And How often do you do this?"

• 4 years ago

I’ve tried bona to black magic to vinegar and water

• 4 years ago

I loved my floors. I used Bruce floor cleaner. That was the brand recommended by the installer. Our new place has wood laminate which I hate.

• 4 years ago

I have similar floors. They do show every speck of dust and fur but I picked them anyways because I love the color. I use the Bona shown above once a month and vacuum with my trusty Meile at least weekly. I have large area rugs through my house, which definitely help.

• 4 years ago

I just put down a rug yesterday.

• 4 years ago

You've used MANY different chemicals on these floors which is causing a haze to form. You can remove this haze using Windex Original formula (5% ammonia content = same 'kill rate' as 5% bleach solution...just a little FYI for the DYI).

I would clean a 2ft x 2ft section underneath the rug. You will clean the same spot 2-3x to find the ORIGINAL finish. Once you have revealed the original finish you can decide whether or not to continue cleaning the ENTIRE floor that way.

• 4 years ago

I absolutely love my engineered hardwood floors. They are so easy to keep clean. By the way, my installer told me to never use especially Bona because it will eventually cause streaking on the floors; as well as other so-called floor cleaners. He said to use only water (vinegar can cause delaminating) and a dustmop. That is what I have done and they are still beautiful. Had them installed about 14 years ago.

• 4 years ago

I think that engineered floors are much more durable than natural floors. There is a hardness measure - janka - and engineered floors are much "harder" and able to resist high heel marks and pet scratching.

• last year

I was told to use bona. Within hours of cleaning, footprints are back, and floor is streaked. I cannot for the life of me get these floors looking good.