Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmle12

Kitchen Cabinet layout help, please

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi. I'm new here and (probably should have posted before but...) I really need help on what size and type cabinets should go where and the size of the island (too big I think).

I am looking for advise on cabinet layout design ideas.

I have a 1939 brick colonial that I am adding an addition to. The plans for the first floor are attached - and the build is underway. I've been to two kitchen design places and was not thrilled with what they proposed so thought to come here too.

The architect put the kitchen layout together (I'm not thrilled with) and unfortunately at this point most things I can not move -- so I am trying to figure the best CABINET layout.

The big things cannot move:

1) Refrigerator, in alcove next to pantry, and pantry, behind exterior door, these are here because we wanted to use the existing house as part of the kitchen. The line of site to the kitchen from the front door is important to me - I did not want to put the refrigerator there to see upon walking into the house.

2) Windows cannot be changed - the window above the sink to backyard is 48" wide (2 24" casement windows)

3) Side door entry is to the driveway - for ease of bringing in groceries (a neighbors house is on that side).

4) Stove because I didn't want the sink looking to the driveway and the exhaust is exterior

5) Sink

Appliances: 40' white Hallman range, a 30" microwave drawer, a french door stainless steel refrigerator, a 24" dishwasher.

Things I am trying to incorporate:

1) seating for 4 at the island

2) good access for cooking supplies

3) a lift cabinet for the KitchenAid mixer

4) dedicated space for baking pans and trays

5) pull out garbage/recycling

6) glass front cabinetry on back wall (for visual upon entering house)

7) Coffee machine nook

8) I am putting antique tile above the range and am leaning toward not having upper cabinets on either side of the hood.

The kitchen opens to the family room.

The family room opens to a "library" (my "reading" room with adjacent office)

I hope this covers what helps in asking for ideas. I appreciate ANY and ALL help and recommendations. I know there are constraints but I'm looking for the best cabinet layout that works with these. (And I think this island is TOO big as it is right now -- there is 3'3" between the sink and the island 3'4" between the range and the island. Current island measurements are 93" x 57").

Thank you !

Comments (5)

• PRO
    3 years ago

The biggest problem I see is the access to the formal dining room from the kitchen, which is not great from a traffic flow perspective. If it were me, I'd convert the room to the left of the kitchen into your dining room, make your living room a "great room", and make the current dining room a library/sitting room.

• 3 years ago

It's a long inconvenient way from your refrigerator to your sink. Would you consider refrigerator drawers on the far side of your island?

I'm having trouble reading the measurements, but it looks like 3' 4" between the range and island and 3' 3" between the sink and island. That is NOT ENOUGH. You said you thought the island was too big and it definitely is. I don't think you mentioned your island seating requirements--what's the minimum number of seats your would find acceptable?

Jessica Earl thanked cawaps
  • 3 years ago

@cawaps Thanks for your help. I did not think about refrigerator drawers -- nor did I give much thought to the fridge being near the sink.

What is the minimum you would recommend for space between sink and island and stove and island?

• 3 years ago

You've set the constraints such that pretty much nothing can be moved. That makes it hard to come up with something different than what you have.

If you intend to regularly eat in the dining room, then the fridge has to move. I'd put it on the back wall at the left end of the cabinet run. This will also make it convenient to the sink and to people getting drinks.

Then move the powder room left so that it's directly accessible from the main hall. Let the current powder room become a butlers pantry and let the current pantry be hallway between kitchen and dining.

And yes, your island is too big. Try for 4' clearance on all sides, but especially on the work side.

Jessica Earl thanked Jennifer K
  • 3 years ago

That is a very large range for your kitchen size. Would you consider a 30” range moved a bit to the left and put your fridge next to the side entry door?
    Also, a paneled fridge would get nicely w your cabinet style and age of home. Not optimal but would be much easier than having to walk all the way around that island to access fridge. Then you could use that access point to formal dining room.
    Agree w above poster that a butlers pantry much more effective then your current pantry layout.