Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_100330005

Nicest island that I've seen in a rehabbed/flipped house

3 years ago

Came across this the other day when I was looking online at rehabbed/flipped houses. I've seen a lot of rehabbed/flipped houses online and this one I thought that they put some time/money into this one. Just sharing and curious what others think of the island. Also, the backsplash tile in unusual.

Comments (14)

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

With that center support in between the counter seating, it doesn't really look like there is enough space for all 4 stools, probably better off with just 2 stools. If that bar wasn't there (or two support bars used instead which probably would be visually overwhelming), they probably could have fit 3 stools. At least from my vantage point.

• 3 years ago

I don't care for the island. I don't like that center column or the under lighting.

• 3 years ago

Count me as another no.

• 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It looks like wallpaper may have been used on the backsplash.

Edited to say that, upon closer inspection, I see what appears to be reflections from the can lighting over the sink, so it may be tile after all.

• 3 years ago

Another no.

• 3 years ago

Island is rather "heavy" looking. A little too fussy for most of the younger homeowners I know; the Gen X and Y seem to like clean simple lines.

And seems like a big costly $$$$ island for a kitchen with an OTR microwave. I can't take a kitchen seriously that has one of those things unless it's an urban hi-rise condo.

The extra-large subway tiles are interesting. Not to my taste, they look a little too much like a brick wall painted over.

The lighting on the island underside, plus the lighting on the base cabinets baseboards(!), is pretentious. Lighting is important in the kitchen, but not to highlight people's kneecaps and the toes of their shoes.

I can see this as a kitchen in a decorator showcase or a higher-end (but still middle-class) developer model home; it would possibly impress a fair # of people, however.

But if you're a serious cook - and most folks who hang around the GW Kitchen forum are more particular than average - whoever designed this kitchen intended it more for looks than function.

A kitchen and island that big screams "multiple cooks" to me. But it's obvious there's too many things missing* to pull that off, and it would be expensive to have to remodel something brand-new. As it is now, the island is pretty much useless except for rolling out/kneading dough, or plating, or cooling cookies. You have to bring everything over to it, and then bring everything back from it.

* I'd add:

• Prep sink in that island
    • Electrical outlets in island top or on both short sides
    • Cabinet reconfiguration: for multiple cooks, wall ovens would be better. I do like the elongated work triangle, however, as it's set up. But I'd move that door and make an L-shape with cabs to hold the wall ovens and all baking/roasting supplies.
      This would define
      the island as a more usable workspace - but it also means moving that island nearer the fridge, and with that deceptive wide-angle camera shot, it's hard to tell if there's enough room, or if the island would need to be sliced down by 15-20"
    • Appliance cabinet needed for the increasingly hefty "small appliances" : Breville or KA stand mixer; food processor or Vitamix; toaster oven/air fryer/insta-pot; coffee station. Keeps them hidden until needed.
  • 3 years ago

Among other things, the 'backsplash' that covers the entire wall is bizarre; it looks like an exposed block wall!

• 3 years ago

Rather than the 'fancy' island, I'd have spent the money on all drawers in the bases, a real range hood, and a MW drawer.

I like the backsplash--it reminds me of block homes in Florida, although the views from the windows don't seem to be palmetto, sand, or sea coast. I'd have skipped the sidesplash to the left.

DW needs to go to the right of the sink, out of the prep area. Love the colors and the light, bright aspect.

• 3 years ago

I am not in love with this flip redo. Yeah, weird about the range hood microwave/fan—I thought those were completely out except where there is no alternative. And the island is way too over built for my taste. I suppose for someone who doesn’t cook and wants a kitchen that looks good on first glance this is a nice solution, but for a real cook, not so much.

• 3 years ago

It’s kinda what you’d expect out of a flip. Showy, but cheap and tacky.

• 3 years ago

They had an open house today so I went and took a look. The house was done decently, not the best nor the worst and I've seen plenty of the years.

The backsplash is tile. Not my taste, but unusual. I know everyone who commented here didn't like the island, but after seeing it in person I still like it. I also liked the pendent lights over the island. I usually like the stuff that most people don't. If everyone like the same stuff life would be boring. The space between the posts was 46" for seating and the back of the island to the wall was 47" if anyone is curious.

• 3 years ago

Looks fine overall to me but I guess based on every other expert opinion here I'm blind. lol

• 3 years ago

That mostly beautiful kitchen with an OTR microwave. Nope nope nope- where else did they cheap out?